Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Maurice was mesmerising. I spent big chunks of games watching just him when I was a kid. He'd jog slowly beside a contest and slip in at just the right moment. Then there was a kind of flurry of spinning and stepping and he'd just emerge with the footy. The only person I've seen who plays anything like Maurice is Cyril. They really do move like they're related, funnily enough. For those too young to have seen the great man, just imagine a stronger bodied (but just as light-footed) version of Cyril and picture him hunting at stoppages all day long. Goodes and McLeod were great players with great records but Maurice just seemed to be from another planet.

TJsFurrow said:
Maurice was mesmerising. I spent big chunks of games watching just him when I was a kid. He'd jog slowly beside a contest and slip in at just the right moment. Then there was a kind of flurry of spinning and stepping and he'd just emerge with the footy. The only person I've seen who plays anything like Maurice is Cyril. They really do move like they're related, funnily enough. For those too young to have seen the great man, just imagine a stronger bodied (but just as light-footed) version of Cyril and picture him hunting at stoppages all day long. Goodes and McLeod were great players with great records but Maurice just seemed to be from another planet.
Agree with all that. There were times when I watched Maurice and I looked really hard for the string that he had to have attached to the ball. He was phenomenal.

The beauty of Maurice.. he'd have the ball, 3 opponents around him. He'd feint slowly, move his feet slightly - they'd jump all over the place and he'd glide away smoothly between them. It looked effortless, they looked hypnotised more than anything.

TJsFurrow said:
Maurice was mesmerising. I spent big chunks of games watching just him when I was a kid. He'd jog slowly beside a contest and slip in at just the right moment. Then there was a kind of flurry of spinning and stepping and he'd just emerge with the footy.

Seen it happen at the G against Carlscum, the pack was heavy something like five to seven players, Maurice just strolled in and took it away, leaving everyone, the pack and the crowd dumbfounded.

Only ever going to be one Mr Magic!

BrisTiger24 said:
You never know I guess. Nathan Drummond is indigenous and he's a bloody ranga!
It gets gray I believe. To be "indigenous" one only has to identify themselves as Indigenous. So for rg I'm as white as Caspar but if my mums great grandfather was indigenous and I felt I had indigenous blood I could identify myself as being indigenous. I think the identified indigenous players are identified from a form they complete that asks the question "are you of aboriginal or TSI".

I believe it is also a requirement that a person claiming indigineity be recognized as a member by the indigenous community of which they are claiming membership.

YinnarTiger said:
I believe it is also a requirement that a person claiming indigineity be recognized as a member by the indigenous community of which they are claiming membership.
I believe this has to be done to be "official" in the eyes of that indigenous community but that still doesn't prevent anybody claiming to be indigenous on Afl forms or job applications or census form or other governmental forms. Anywhere really.

https://johansandbergmcguinne.wordpress.com/official-definitions-of-indigeneity/

I would imagine the communities would be up in arms against anyone claiming indigeneity trivially. It's why Bolt had to pay damages for his libellous article questioning the indigeneity of some individuals in his HUN article.

YinnarTiger said:
https://johansandbergmcguinne.wordpress.com/official-definitions-of-indigeneity/

I would imagine the communities would be up in arms against anyone claiming indigeneity trivially. It's why Bolt had to pay damages for his libellous article questioning the indigeneity of some individuals in his HUN article.
Just to be 100% accurate Bolt did not pay damages for that case and no damages were sought. Only money paid by Bolt was legal costs.

Apology and removal and ban on republishing articles was what was sought and awarded

YinnarTiger said:

But there's no "community" to be up in arms about if anyone just ticks "yes" to the "are you of Aboriginal or TSI" question. What you're talking about is someone who specifically claims to be for eg Of the Kulin nation or of the Wundjteri (?) people.

Just ticking "yes" in the box would generally not be sufficient. There are community organizations in virtually all regions of the country that could help in providing evidence of indigeneity. (Love that word, only found it today!).

http://aiatsis.gov.au/research/finding-your-family/before-you-start/proof-aboriginality

Correct Yinnar. Reactionaries like to get all worked up about fake blackfellas. Its mostly a myth. Of course there is is the odd goose who will try and pull some fraud with anything. Take my Dad for example, he kept telling me and my brothers to crouch down and pretend we were 10 at the MCG until we were about 15.

off topic thread - must be Bigfooty......
anyone seen Rioli at training recently or know how he's tracking?

I wonder how much longer until the rioli football name is considered alongside Tuck and Ablett.

tigersnake said:
Correct Yinnar. Reactionaries like to get all worked up about fake blackfellas. Its mostly a myth. Of course there is is the odd goose who will try and pull some fraud with anything. Take my Dad for example, he kept telling me and my brothers to crouch down and pretend we were 10 at the MCG until we were about 15.

A family of Sri Lankans we caught out about 7 years ago after claiming benefits for over twenty years claiming to be Aboriginal.

Just watched the training highlights on the RFC website. I know they pick and choose them but first impression is that his feet are really quick!

He has the Rioli sidestep