Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Bearing in mind Maurice senior played as many games as he did for South Freo - does that mean that Freo can also look at father/son for young Maurice if he develops ?

Tigers of Old said:
Cyril won a flag in his first season and played a key role as a small forward..no expectations or limitations on Dan this year.

But, again, you imply these kind of expectations by referring to Cyril. He's Daniel. Let him forge his own way. No guarantee's in a name, even in genes!

leon said:
But, again, you imply these kind of expectations by referring to Cyril. He's Daniel. Let him forge his own way. No guarantee's in a name, even in genes!

Yes he's Daniel. He's also our 1st round draftee.
Every player on our list, skipper or rookie, comes with some degree of expectation.
I don't believe in capping a players ceiling is all. Funny things can happen.

Tigers of Old said:
Yes he's Daniel. He's also our 1st round draftee.
Every player on our list, skipper or rookie, comes with some degree of expectation.
I don't believe in capping a players ceiling is all. Funny things can happen.

Yes, but I was really pleased that we went young in the 2014 draft. And I'm pleased we took Rioli this year but remember we have loads of young talent lined up for finding a spot in the AFL team (as I nominated in previous post). I will be just as delighted to see any of these talented draftees including Chol, who is also very promising IMHO, take big steps in 2016. Daniel wasn't regarded all that highly by the draft pundits but we're looking for a big upside which the draft camp may have indicated.
I'm not expecting him to walk into the AFL side and burn, there's plenty of time for him to mature.

jimbob said:
Bearing in mind Maurice senior played as many games as he did for South Freo - does that mean that Freo can also look at father/son for young Maurice if he develops ?
No.

leon said:
Yes, but I was really pleased that we went young in the 2014 draft. And I'm pleased we took Rioli this year but remember we have loads of young talent lined up for finding a spot in the AFL team (as I nominated in previous post). I will be just as delighted to see any of these talented draftees including Chol, who is also very promising IMHO, take big steps in 2016. Daniel wasn't regarded all that highly by the draft pundits but we're looking for a big upside which the draft camp may have indicated.
I'm not expecting him to walk into the AFL side and burn, there's plenty of time for him to mature.
I agree with your comments about our high expectations and needing the fellow time to develop, but if he's ready to fill a role (even for one or two games), then give him a taste. Yes, Maurice was a seasoned pro when he came to us and we can't expect the same from week one with Dan, but there's no harm in a couple of games (if it fits team balance, who the opposition are etc).

Agree also about Lloyd. I'd like to see him lock down a SF spot.

Tigers of Old said:
..no expectations or limitations on Dan this year.

this. The tone of this thread is odd. 'We can't have any expectations...' etc. I think its based on fear of having hopes dashed, which I can understand. People can think whatever they want. Some will expect him to be BOG first game this season, some might expect him to debut 2017, some might think he'll be a bust. Some will be spot on, some will be nowhere near it, and everything in between.

I got my own hopes and expectations, like I have with most recruits, been spot on, been nowhere near it, and everything in between.

I do confess though, since the draft, I caught my inner monologue singing 'Daniel Rioli' like 'Jason Derulo', but not out loud, yet But I can't help it.

Tigers of Old said:
Cyril won a flag in his first season and played a key role as a small forward..no expectations or limitations on Dan this year.
Just sort of wondering.
If Daniel does a Cyril n steps up to own the small forward role. Where does that leave Beanie this year?
Got plenty of tall marking forwards, plenty of mid sized forwards, small is the spot that's been wide open for the Beanie to fill with his mobility n ground skills.
He'll have to spend another year in the magoos trying to find a role he can play n maybe consider asking for a trade out at seasons end :angel:.

TigerMasochist said:
Just sort of wondering.
If Daniel does a Cyril n steps up to own the small forward role. Where does that leave Beanie this year?
Got plenty of tall marking forwards, plenty of mid sized forwards, small is the spot that's been wide open for the Beanie to fill with his mobility n ground skills.
He'll have to spend another year in the magoos trying to find a role he can play n maybe consider asking for a trade out at seasons end :angel:.

When Daniels won a Frosty Miller medal, and been the best VFL goal kicker across three years, then he can step above Beanie in the pecking order.

Easy too say after watching Cyril for years, however I don't see Daniel real close to Cyril's talent at this point. Not a criticism just believe Cyril's a freak

Coburgtiger said:
When Daniels won a Frosty Miller medal, and been the best VFL goal kicker across three years, then he can step above Beanie in the pecking order.

One approx 200cm and the other grease lightning and 180cm or below, they are not competing for the same position

CC TIGER said:
Easy too say after watching Cyril for years, however I don't see Daniel real close to Cyril's talent at this point. Not a criticism just believe Cyril's a freak

He is a freak but an unreliable freak. Hopefully Daniel has the ability to stay involved in matches and not fade in and out

Baloo said:
He is a freak but an unreliable freak. Hopefully Daniel has the ability to stay involved in matches and not fade in and out

Unreliable? Gee that's tough. If Daniel is 70% Cyril we have a genuine A grader.

CC TIGER said:

Lol, not real close??? Glad to hear it. Otherwise it would be a huge knock on Cyril after all he's done. Wouldn't expect Daniel to get near him for 5 years at least. Perhaps the occasional cameo moment to whet our appetite, but Dimma the Daring will keep Daniel to his meat and potatoes standards for a while yet.

DLR said:
Lol, not real close??? Glad to hear it. Otherwise it would be a huge knock on Cyril after all he's done. Wouldn't expect Daniel to get near him for 5 years at least. Perhaps the occasional cameo moment to whet our appetite, but Dimma the Daring will keep Daniel to his meat and potatoes standards for a while yet.
Sorry should have put natural talent, as it's pretty obvious Daniel is not going to have anywhere near the impact Cyril does in his first year in the AFL compared to Cyril after 8 years in the system

CC TIGER said:
Sorry should have put natural talent, as it's pretty obvious Daniel is not going to have anywhere near the impact Cyril does in his first year in the AFL compared to Cyril after 8 years in the system

:hihi All good

CC TIGER said:

Its interesting how people make their own interpretation of players. Cyril has talent no doubt. But he's not an elite at all. I certainly don't gush over him like the media do. He doesn't get enough of the ball to justify the amount of love he gets.

Ian4 said:
...... He doesn't get enough of the ball to justify the amount of love he gets.

He's more quality than quantity. Whenever he touches the ball he does something good.

Ian4 said:
He doesn't get enough of the ball to justify the amount of love he gets.

Few in that position ever do but players like Rioli, Ballantyne and Milne are worth twice their weight in gold.

rosy23 said:
He's more quality than quantity. Whenever he touches the ball he does something good.

Yes agree Rosy and i think people misunderstand these X types roles, guys like Cyril, Milne, Ballantyne, essentially the best small forwards of last 10 years don't get huge amounts of the pill, even KB when he moved to be a pure forward in his last few years although footy was very different then.

You see a heap of mids average 20-30 in the comp and don't hurt you, then you see the Judds, Abletts etcthat do hurt you, judging a player on pure possession count is not correct.