Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I am struggling to get exited at this stage on Daniel, his TAC stats from last year are average despite him putting in a great combine.

So until he starts putting some runs on the board I will not get exited

yandb said:
I am struggling to get exited at this stage on Daniel, his TAC stats from last year are average despite him putting in a great combine.

So until he starts putting some runs on the board I will not get exited

Won't have any impact this year, I think the hierarchy know this so won't be making any rash decisions. The exposed form aspect is certainly true however he did perform strongly in finals and in the Allies game. I think there's an element of uncovering hidden upside so we'll just have to wait and see if Frank's vision is a correct one.

If people believe we recruited him to play this year, we are in trouble. Way too much pressure on a first year player.

Tames said:
If people believe we recruited him to play this year, we are in trouble. Way too much pressure on a first year player.

Every 1st pick we've had for I don't know how long has played year 1.
It's more than reasonable to expect Rioli to play THIS YEAR!!!

rinso17 said:
Every 1st pick we've had for I don't know how long has played year 1.
It's more than reasonable to expect Rioli to play THIS YEAR!!!
Yep. Dreamtime debut against the Foreign Legion Bummers.

gutfull said:
Rioli will play round 1 folks !.

Only if the club wants to milk the hype from over-excited and unrealistic supporters.
He's just a kid; another unproven draftee with little score on the board from under-age football. Let him find his feet and his own way without placing such ridiculous expectations on him. He is not Maurice reincarnated: nor Cyril whose at Hawthorn and was much more a proven star in schoolboy footy, but it still took him some years to make it at AFL level. Let him be himself and make his own way.
Daniel needs to be given the time and space to develop his body, endurance and learn the game against full-grown men like any draftee.
So he's a dud if he doesn't play 2016!? Give me a break.
We've got a conga-line of youngsters lining up for a game in 2016; drafted a year ahead of Daniel.
They get it when they earn it, and that's how it should be.

Hopefully he will get a chance in the pre season series but beyond that I have zero expectations of him at a senior level in 2016.

Why are people agonizing about young Daniel? And agonizing over the agonizing? If he's ready he'll play, if he's not he won't. Its pretty simple. And what's a bit of hype to a Rioli? He was born to it. He's an exciting prospect for all sorts of reasons, enjoy it.

I reckon he'll play half a dozen games. But if he doesn't, he doesn't.

Yeah the kid's head is probably still spinning, lets see how he goes after a second pre season.

CC TIGER said:
Won't be surprised if he gets less then a handful of games

Not sure actually, he is quicker than Cyril, and you look at his tackle count in TAC it was around 6-8 per game up forward...

If he could kick 10 or so next year and provide defensive pressure im not sure the thoughts on the coaches who brought morris in to provide just that without hitting the scoreboard, anyones guess as to the coaching staffs plan but one thing is for sure the guy is quick with endurance and loves to tackle and with the possible upside in kicking goals is possibly worth playing round 1... who knows

Pressure my asse if he is ready go play son turn them a new one ...Some players love the crowds and were born to play .Its like a 4 foot putt to win a major some players will fold / choke and a couple l could name will say hey man this is what lm talking about and make the putt.

spook said:
Pfft. Maurice won it in his first year. (And his second.) Standards.

You're probably taking a lend ... but worth reminding people:

Maurice came to us as a mature player after six seasons with South Fremantle. You cannot possibly compare him to Daniel's situation as a young draftee. Get a grip people; just give him some time to build up and develop. Even if he plays 2016, it will be cameo performances probably.
Hope to see Lloyd given first crack at really holding down SF role now that sub has gone. He deserves genuine game time now.
The excitement generated by the Rioli name is palpable but the nature of some posters here will be to label him a dud if he doesn't set the world on fire in his first season. Crazy stuff. Note also: here's the list of our other young talent, drafted before Daniel, that are waiting for a go too: Menadue, Drummond, Short, Butler, Castagna. A. Moore or Marcon could even play some time forward with their hardened, mature bodies.
I'm looking forward to see how all these guys develop and perform in 2016! Daniel's name may be special but, otherwise, just don't load excessive expectations on a kid's shoulders.