Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

saigon tiger said:
Am I the only one hear to say why rush him back. Was brilliant in the prelim final but I thought his last half of the season was pretty underwhelming. Only 8 touches on the weekend. If his name wasn't Rioli would we all be screaming for his return. I say reward VFL form and there are a few ahead of him!

I heard 12 touches. In Herald Sun they said he was still building up his repeat efforts which were better this week than last according to his GPS figures. I reckon he probably needs another week based on that particularly with just a 5 day break. Interesting the forgotten man Drummond named in the bests for the Tigers.

saigon tiger said:
Am I the only one hear to say why rush him back. Was brilliant in the prelim final but I thought his last half of the season was pretty underwhelming. Only 8 touches on the weekend. If his name wasn't Rioli would we all be screaming for his return. I say reward VFL form and there are a few ahead of him!

but his name is Rioli!

(Daniel Smith tore it up for Aspley last Game against Zillmere, 51 possessions, 19 marks and 24 tackles. Might have pulled the wrong rein after all).

some talk some real *smile*,glad richmond are the selectors, rioli covers the most forward space in the afl, 2017 was number 1 protector of forward space , meaning he keeps the ball in the forward line by putting pressure on the ball carrier from a long way away, just because this stat and many other important ones are never very public, some judge on just simple touches, look at the dream time stats,
361- 366 144-143, 68%- 69%, 143-142, 218-214, 96-92, 218-214, 64-60, 56-59, BLOODY BY STATS THAT GAME IS SO CLOSE , BUT RICHMOND AND RIOLI IS BLOODY GOOD AT MANY PARTS OF THE GAME THAT NONE OF THESE STATS COVER.

SCORE BOARD 43-114.

Tigermad2005 said:
Let's see if you are a defender Ro you want to play on Higgins or Rioli.
I know which one I would want to play on.

Could make that question a bit tougher by throwing Townser in it as well

Rioli and Higlett wont physically hurt you as bad as Jacob very may well succeed in doing. ;D

jokershoppe said:
some talk some real sh!t,glad richmond are the selectors, rioli covers the most forward space in the afl, 2017 was number 1 protector of forward space , meaning he keeps the ball in the forward line by putting pressure on the ball carrier from a long way away, just because this stat and many other important ones are never very public, some judge on just simple touches, look at the dream time stats,
361- 366 144-143, 68%- 69%, 143-142, 218-214, 96-92, 218-214, 64-60, 56-59, BLOODY BY STATS THAT GAME IS SO CLOSE , BUT RICHMOND AND RIOLI IS BLOODY GOOD AT MANY PARTS OF THE GAME THAT NONE OF THESE STATS COVER.

SCORE BOARD 43-114.

Good post. Rioli is the best at defending the exits out of our forward half. He stalks the opppsition from far away closing down their options and then pounces.

jokershoppe said:
some talk some real sh!t,glad richmond are the selectors, rioli covers the most forward space in the afl, 2017 was number 1 protector of forward space , meaning he keeps the ball in the forward line by putting pressure on the ball carrier from a long way away, just because this stat and many other important ones are never very public, some judge on just simple touches, look at the dream time stats,

SCORE BOARD 43-114.

I don't think many disagree. But even the Richmond hierarchy after the VFL game have said he's getting closer to his FULL GAME intensity week by week. In other words he hasn't been going at repeating full intensity spurts for long enough to play AFL level yet. Whether they think he now has will be up to them to decide.

Harry said:
Good post. Rioli is the best at defending the exits out of our forward half. He stalks the opppsition from far away closing down their options and then pounces.

I noticed him doing this plenty in the VFL game too. His closing speed is still there. Must be very close I'd reckon.

Harry said:

Dude is an apex predator at this. If I played with him his nickname would be Shark.

I am getting excited at him. Reckon he gets VFL'd to after the bye. Then *insert Jaws music*

SCOOP said:
Dude is an apex predator at this. If I played with him his nickname would be Shark.

I am getting excited at him. Reckon he gets VFL'd to after the bye. Then *insert Jaws music*

X2.

I cant see him playing this week off a 5 day break. Geelong the week after is just as important and makes more sense for him with a week off the following week

BrisTiger24 said:
I cant see him playing this week off a 5 day break. Geelong the week after is just as important and makes more sense for him with a week off the following week
Right, it would be mental to play him this week. I think even the Cats game's a stretch. He's close though, for sure.

hutstar said:
Right, it would be mental to play him this week. I think even the Cats game's a stretch. He's close though, for sure.

I am no medical expert but i would err on the side of caution when thinking of bringing him back this week, just would hate to see another flair-up of his injury and see him out for longer.

I would much rather he was 100% right to go, even if that means another game in the VFL this week

BT Tiger said:
I am no medical expert but i would err on the side of caution when thinking of bringing him back this week, just would hate to see another flair-up of his injury and see him out for longer.

I would much rather he was 100% right to go, even if that means another game in the VFL this week
agreed.

Considering it’s round 11, I’d suggest they have been cautious, if he’s picked to play I’d assume he’s 100% good to go, Burge has a history of putting fitter returning athletes back on park.

From the VFL Report:

Daniel Rioli

11 disposals, six tackles and one goal

“Played close to a full game and looks more ready to play AFL footy from this game. Really high energy, from contest-to-contest, high tackles and kicked a nice goal jumping at the footy and marking the ball. He looks really close now.”

I think he'll play.

Tigertough1974 said:
Considering it’s round 11, I’d suggest they have been cautious, if he’s picked to play I’d assume he’s 100% good to go, Burge has a history of putting fitter returning athletes back on park.

This!!

OK, I'd err on the side of caution too. If anyone deserves to and should come in, it's Snipper Miles, who would be a really good choice as PA are a leading CB team who will target/tag Cotch and Dusty with the likes of Ebert, Boak and PP and co,.

If Rioli comes in, who goes out? Higgins I guess. IMO, the inclusion of Miles for KMac (with BEllis to play wing and Mena HBF) or Lambert, will make a much greater difference.

leon said:
OK, I'd err on the side of caution too. If anyone deserves to and should come in, it's Snipper Miles, who would be a really good choice as PA are a leading CB team who will target/tag Cotch and Dusty with the likes of Ebert, Boak and PP and co,.

If Rioli comes in, who goes out? Higgins I guess. IMO, the inclusion of Miles for KMac (with BEllis to play wing and Mena HBF) or Lambert, will make a much greater difference.

Interesting you say they are a CB team. From perception that's how I'd see it too, however their differential this year is -4 and ours is -5.4 / game, so they aren't much different to us. Ironically Port are ranked No. 1 in the AFL uncontested possession differential.

Where we do differ is speed, they are largely one paced through their midfield with Wines, Ebert, Boak (though playing a bit more forward this year), Rockliff etc. That's why they brought in Motlop.