Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Nomorewaiting said:
Easy true, but way too important to rush Rioli back as this is a serious injury as Caesar said with Swan, so give him all the time plus more.

Position covered- there is Shai, Stengle, Higgins all vying for their chance to play round 1 and onwards , so we have options.

Should have added to it though is, ' are they as good as Dan'? At this stage no, but given Shais and Stengles appearances last year showed glimpses and what we see with Higgins , I think whichever boy gets Rd 1 gig will acquit themselves!

It could also be a case Easy that all 3 get rotated for experience until Rioli returns!

yeah we are certainly well placed to make the best of a bad situation. Like I said earlier, 2017 was so incredible, that even our bad situations, happened in the best possible circumstances, and we can

relatively comfortably rectify. Could it have been our collective superstitious rituals and prayers over the previous 4 decades creating a superstorm of good fortune?

Did they all collect in some spiritual eddy and were released in 2017?

Is the flow strong enough to carry us further?

or should we keep praying and stuff?

Tigermad2005 said:
You only take the metal out if it is giving you pain.
So it is a set back.
It’s always recommended plate comes out for athletes , I recall Voss and Nat brown saying as much after rods were removed , it’s a set back in as far as there will be a healing period from that procedure alone ,, I think mid season is looking likely , as a conservative estimate , no reason to be bullish with a 19 day return like viney

caesar said:
I think I heard Peter Burge say before Christmas that Daniel was going to have another operation to remove the plate so it does not appear to be a deviation from their plan, (it's just I thought it had been done earlier).

It's true that the majority of lay people would leave plate in, however removing it provides better foot movement and less pain as screws and plate being very close to the surface. Given the nature of our game removing it probably gives Daniel the best chance of getting back to his physical and mobile best.

A significant injury this one, it ended Dane Swans career, but Daniel has youth on his side.

Attached below is a short medical summary on plate removal:

https://www.anklefootmd.com/removing-hardware-foot-surgery/

And for those that want to read more about lisfranc surgery as a whole:

http://www.sportsmd.com/sports-injuries/foot-ankle-injuries/lisfranc-injury/

"What happens after surgery on the Lisfranc joint?
Postoperatively following a typical Lisfranc joint repair, the patient must be non-weightbearing on the operative foot. This period of restricted weight-bearing and relative immobilization is typically 6-8 weeks. Subsequently, the amount of weight-bearing allowed is gradually increased over the next few weeks. Physical therapy is initiated and sports-specific training is begun. At some point, once the torn ligaments have been given sufficient time to heal, the screws used to fix the Lisfranc injury are removed as a minor operative procedure. This again allows normal motion and function to take place in the athlete’s midfoot region. It also avoids breaking of the screws by a repetitive fatigue mechanism with impact loading that occurs during weight-bearing on the repaired foot. Although the actual timing is somewhat controversial, this usually occurs somewhere between 3 and 6 months after the first operation takes place".

"Lisfranc Injury Recovery Time?
Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form"
This wasn’t a lisfranc injury , it was an injury to the metacarpal bone . Perhaps research some before making the lot up

After last season i have absolute faith in Burge, Inness, Meehan and Fahrner, there may have been some luck with injuries, but i think it was mostly good management.
I expect their biggest challenge will be trying to hold Dan back.

BillyJean17 said:
This wasn’t a lisfranc injury , it was an injury to the metacarpal bone . Perhaps research some before making the lot up

Well if I have the injury wrong BJ17 that is a good thing and I am glad you have set the record straight. I have only heard Daniel's injury described as a mid-foot injury which I took to be linsfrac by the below general description of what the linsfranc is:

Over time, the term Lisfranc injury has expanded to include any injury between the various joints between the forefoot and midfoot regions. This does not only include specifically Lisfranc’s ligament and has come to be known as the “tarsometatarsal complex”.

So I did do my research, just obviously on wrong injury, I am hardly in the habit of deliberately making things up.

Fair enough , as far as I understand it , his injury has never been reported as a lisfranc injury, as sustained by richo , dance swan and more recently conca. Nevertheless I don’t doubt it’s seriousness

Ok after being somewhat alarmist let me the bearer of slightly better news. Rioli did about 40 minutes of rehab work at training today, involving straight line jogging, and some 20 metre kick to kick. So positive sign.

caesar said:
Ok after being somewhat alarmist let me the bearer of slightly better news. Rioli did about 40 minutes of rehab work at training today, involving straight line jogging, and some 20 metre kick to kick. So positive sign.

Cheers ceasar, i've every confidence he's in very good hands.

My Rioli watch has been a bit frustrating, the language on his return date from injury has fluctuated a bit so I can only go by what I see at training.

It's been a case of 1 foot forward and 3 steps back. I have not seen him in a session where I have got excited or confident in his progression. In fact his track sessions have been pretty scarce. Yes I know he is being managed but there is no doubt that he is a bit further behind than the club had figured or at least conveyed to us.

Anyway having not personally seen Daniel on the track for 2 weeks he was out there today for 30 minutes of what I can best describe as learning to run again drills.

I am treating it as a 2nd attempt to get up and going post plate removal.

Note: He was at this stage about a week and half after he had the plate removed, (but then seemed to have a 2 week absence?).

I will be a happy boy when I see a couple of back to back sessions and no steps back.

caesar said:
My Rioli watch has been a bit frustrating, the language on his return date from injury has fluctuated a bit so I can only go by what I see at training.

It's been a case of 1 foot forward and 3 steps back. I have not seen him in a session where I have got excited or confident in his progression. In fact his track sessions have been pretty scarce. Yes I know he is being managed but there is no doubt that he is a bit further behind than the club had figured or at least conveyed to us.

Anyway having not personally seen Daniel on the track for 2 weeks he was out there today for 30 minutes of what I can best describe as learning to run again drills.

I am treating it as a 2nd attempt to get up and going post plate removal.

Note: He was at this stage about a week and half after he had the plate removed, (but then seemed to have a 2 week absence?).

I will be a happy boy when I see a couple of back to back sessions and no steps back.

Thanks Caesar.
Could he perhaps be inside running on our weight bearing Alta? machine ? Very important rehab tool. Rest assured or rehab programme seems to be one of the best in the business so I'm confident he's in great hands

Blind Turn said:
Thanks Caesar.
Could he perhaps be inside running on our weight bearing Alta? machine ? Very important rehab tool. Rest assured or rehab programme seems to be one of the best in the business so I'm confident he's in great hands

I have no doubt he is BT and agree our rehab guys are A1. Just would like to see with my own eyes, (on track), as that is all I can report on.

caesar said:
Probably absent for a few weeks coz somebody cut a hole in his foot to remove the scrap metal.
Last thing we'd want the club to do is to throw Daniel back into the pack when he's not 100% right. He's a young fella with his whole career still ahead of him, and we've got a blend of youngsters who've got good match experience that can cover for him, there's no reason to rush.
More than happy for the club to ease Daniel back in when he's absolutely fit n healthy than risk him having two or three seasons of ongoing issues because we pushed him up to early.

TigerMasochist said:
Probably absent for a few weeks coz somebody cut a hole in his foot to remove the scrap metal.
Last thing we'd want the club to do is to throw Daniel back into the pack when he's not 100% right. He's a young fella with his whole career still ahead of him, and we've got a blend of youngsters who've got good match experience that can cover for him, there's no reason to rush.
More than happy for the club to ease Daniel back in when he's absolutely fit n healthy than risk him having two or three seasons of ongoing issues because we pushed him up to early.

Agree with everything you say TM except the point I were trying to make re post plate progress. His plate was removed early Feb. On 15/2 a week AFTER plate removed Rioli trained for 40 minutes doing some running drills and looked quite good. Next session started same drills, looked proppy and the pin was pulled after 20 minutes discussion with rehab guy. Since then he has been absent from training for 2 weeks. Today he was back at the same starting point he was 3 weeks ago, hence the step back comment. They definitely won't rush him, I am just hoping to see a steady improvement from here without hiccups.

Latest injury new by Peter Burge on Rioli is promising, obviously doing a lot of his running outside normal training session hours :clap

Dont they have that AlterG Machine where you can Run on it & it limits the amount of weight force through the legs/feet. Possible that Daniel has been doing alot of time on this.

caesar said:
Latest injury new by Peter Burge on Rioli is promising, obviously doing a lot of his running outside normal training session hours :clap

Burge i think had a very optimistic hat on with all his updates. Wait and see.

Ian4 said:
did he put a timeframe on it?

No, said they needed to get full pre-season type work into him before joining in skills so a fair way off . Still in TBC category. They will be very very careful with this one. You would think he needs a month of conditioning and two weeks of skills minimum? What do people think? I'll guess round 6 vs Pies will be his comeback game.

The Lurker said:
Dont they have that AlterG Machine where you can Run on it & it limits the amount of weight force through the legs/feet. Possible that Daniel has been doing alot of time on this.

Might be on to something there