Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Any news on Danny boy? I know a person who works at the club, I usually go on what they don't say when I ask a question. The absence of good news had me concerned?

I agree we can cover him, but I think he is on the verge of greatness, really looking FWD to what he will produce.

They’re slowly increasing his load , jack viney attempting to Come back in 3w from a broken foot and now suffering stress fractures out indefinitely is how not to do it , he s out on the track , running not in full work though

BillyJean17 said:
They’re slowly increasing his load , jack viney attempting to Come back in 3w from a broken foot and now suffering stress fractures out indefinitely is how not to do it , he s out on the track , running not in full work though

Thanks.

In no hurry to see him back, just feared a set back.

BillyJean17 said:

The last week Daniel has not been running at training that is why I think he has had a set back?. On Saturday he walked only 2 laps very slowly. BJ17, I only see what my eyes tell me, do you have inside word to the contrary?

The funny thing is, if the question had been asked

'hands up who wants danny boy to bust his foot in the GF?' at the start of the season.

who amongst us would not have stuck our hand up?

The real greats save injury for late on the big stage

ninjahaha said:
I agree we can cover him, but I think he is on the verge of greatness, really looking FWD to what he will produce.

I too think Daniel was on the verge of something great. The best of our small forwards who was likely to step into the midfield this season. Can we cover him? We'll find out.

I love daniel, loved his prelim, and still get sad when i watch his injury in the gf.

But his stats for a fair chunk of his 2017 were pretty average. I am not sure he was on the verge of greatness, at least not quite yet.

TigerFlag2017 said:
I love daniel, loved his prelim, and still get sad when i watch his injury in the gf.

But his stats for a fair chunk of his 2017 were pretty average. I am not sure he was on the verge of greatness, at least not quite yet.

Agree.

The pressure he brings and the things he does are fantasic, but he had a bit of an up and down year. Brilliant start and a good finish to the year, but between rounds 7-16 he kicked 3 goals.

Still a little ways to go for Daniel. His best is still ahead of him.

Good news, Daniel has not had a setback, reason for non training is that he had the plate removed from his foot and had to take it easy for a bit. Dimma said it would be a matter of starting his rehab from scratch again but he is going well and has now got much more movement in his foot. Mentioned his importance so will be slowly, slowly.

Still means we probably won't see him early.

Im happy for Rioli to stay out until the Bye round and resume in the 2nd half of the season, Its a position we have cover in and should not leave anything to risk
He is way too important to our finals and future

Nomorewaiting said:
thanks Caesar and agree Turk.

position covered and way too important !

I agree that we should be ultra cautious in our approach.

But doesnt position covered contradict way too important?

Tigermad2005 said:
You only take the metal out if it is giving you pain.
So it is a set back.

I think I heard Peter Burge say before Christmas that Daniel was going to have another operation to remove the plate so it does not appear to be a deviation from their plan, (it's just I thought it had been done earlier).

It's true that the majority of lay people would leave plate in, however removing it provides better foot movement and less pain as screws and plate being very close to the surface. Given the nature of our game removing it probably gives Daniel the best chance of getting back to his physical and mobile best.

A significant injury this one, it ended Dane Swans career, but Daniel has youth on his side.

Attached below is a short medical summary on plate removal:

https://www.anklefootmd.com/removing-hardware-foot-surgery/

And for those that want to read more about lisfranc surgery as a whole:

http://www.sportsmd.com/sports-injuries/foot-ankle-injuries/lisfranc-injury/

"What happens after surgery on the Lisfranc joint?
Postoperatively following a typical Lisfranc joint repair, the patient must be non-weightbearing on the operative foot. This period of restricted weight-bearing and relative immobilization is typically 6-8 weeks. Subsequently, the amount of weight-bearing allowed is gradually increased over the next few weeks. Physical therapy is initiated and sports-specific training is begun. At some point, once the torn ligaments have been given sufficient time to heal, the screws used to fix the Lisfranc injury are removed as a minor operative procedure. This again allows normal motion and function to take place in the athlete’s midfoot region. It also avoids breaking of the screws by a repetitive fatigue mechanism with impact loading that occurs during weight-bearing on the repaired foot. Although the actual timing is somewhat controversial, this usually occurs somewhere between 3 and 6 months after the first operation takes place".

"Lisfranc Injury Recovery Time?
Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form"

caesar said:
I think I heard Peter Burge say before Christmas that Daniel was going to have another operation to remove the plate so it does not appear to be a deviation from their plan, (it's just I thought it had been done earlier).

It's true that the majority of lay people would leave plate in, however removing it provides better foot movement and less pain as screws and plate being very close to the surface. Given the nature of our game removing it probably gives Daniel the best chance of getting back to his physical and mobile best.

A significant injury this one, it ended Dane Swans career, but Daniel has youth on his side.

This post needs more craig. ;D

Easy true, but way too important to rush Rioli back as this is a serious injury as Caesar said with Swan, so give him all the time plus more.

Position covered- there is Shai, Stengle, Higgins all vying for their chance to play round 1 and onwards , so we have options.

Should have added to it though is, ' are they as good as Dan'? At this stage no, but given Shais and Stengles appearances last year showed glimpses and what we see with Higgins , I think whichever boy gets Rd 1 gig will acquit themselves!

It could also be a case Easy that all 3 get rotated for experience until Rioli returns!

caesar said:

And for those that want to read more about lisfranc surgery as a whole:

http://www.sportsmd.com/sports-injuries/foot-ankle-injuries/lisfranc-injury/

"What happens after surgery on the Lisfranc joint?
Postoperatively following a typical Lisfranc joint repair, the patient must be non-weightbearing on the operative foot. This period of restricted weight-bearing and relative immobilization is typically 6-8 weeks. Subsequently, the amount of weight-bearing allowed is gradually increased over the next few weeks. Physical therapy is initiated and sports-specific training is begun. At some point, once the torn ligaments have been given sufficient time to heal, the screws used to fix the Lisfranc injury are removed as a minor operative procedure. This again allows normal motion and function to take place in the athlete’s midfoot region. It also avoids breaking of the screws by a repetitive fatigue mechanism with impact loading that occurs during weight-bearing on the repaired foot. Although the actual timing is somewhat controversial, this usually occurs somewhere between 3 and 6 months after the first operation takes place".

"Lisfranc Injury Recovery Time?
Stable Lisfranc injuries that do not require surgery may cause an athlete to miss 2 months or more of their season. However, most athletes are able to successfully return at some point. Those injuries that are unstable, and require surgical repair, are serious injuries that almost always cause the injured athlete to miss the remainder of their season. It is also not uncommon for a high level athlete to not be able to return to the same level of athletic performance even in following seasons. Two well-known examples are Eric Rhett and Duce Staley both of whom had surgery for a serious Lisfranc injury and never successfully returned to their pre-injury form"

As a few have said, if it was going to happen then last minute of GF, is the only consolation. If it was round 1 that would have been his season over. The paragraph above that says it is not uncommon for high level athletes not to be able to return to their same level of performance has me a tad nervous for him. Cross fingers!!!