Welcome to the tigers Campbell Gray | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the tigers Campbell Gray

Assuming Lefau is not playing we really only have two choices. Either we debut Gray or we move Balta back to the forward line and debut Blight.
I suppose we have another which is to leave the defence as it is and play a very small forward line with Ryan and Nankervis as the only tall targets.
We won’t even have Pickett to play forward
One way or another I suspect one of the MSD picks is going to play earlier than they thought. Player number 41 for the season!
I don’t think Gray plays this week.

It will be Balta or Kosi up forward.

Kosi will play this week.

Reactions: 4 users
I hope the kid makes it
But why pick up a player when there are better players playing in the VFL and the WAFL
Gray average 2 possessions a quarter for 9 weeks in a row
Hardly a great grounding . Watch a lot of VFL and he has a long way to go
Fact !
But as a supporter, if you want to fall in love with them as the club selected them
That’s your choice . Not an issue !
All I am saying if you watch teams like Werribee , Southport and Williamstown , there are probably 6 better players than him , similar height etc
Don’t know Campbell, but watched him play
No issues with the player . Issue with the selection . Hope he proves me wrong , but 8 possession games in the VFL doesn’t cut the mustard
Cheers
Your stats are not factually correct. He's had 91 disposals from 9 games, over 10 per game (13 yesterday), not 8. But as we know for key positions it's not all about disposals. 11 goals in his last 5 games, getting a lot of looks at the goals. Getting lots of tackles, he has tenacity. And looks to have great aerobic capacity getting up and down the ground. I was impressed with his game yesterday. Checked out a couple of his recent games too.

Of course, always open to conjecture whether he was the right pick or whether he will make it after all he, like any other pick, is a mid-season recruit. Slim pickings. And he's only contracted to the end of the year, so not risking a lot.

Reactions: 7 users
The way Stig is throwing the word Champ around we should consider adding it to the swear filter

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Geez, chill out a bit folks.

We picked up a young player in the MSD. We were clearly looking at potential rather than current performance since, you know, the 2024 season is cactus.

Look at his potential, look at how he goes over at least the rest of the season, and look at what he is like after an AFL pre-season in 2025.

Then wait a few years to see if he can make it at AFL level, so maybe wait until the end of 2026 to make an assessment as to whether he can be a good player. Can't remember how old he is but he will be what, 21/22 by the end of 2026? As a tall he may still be developing and if he shows signs in the next couple of years we got a bonus at the MSD.

DS

Geez, chill out a bit folks.

We picked up a young player in the MSD. We were clearly looking at potential rather than current performance since, you know, the 2024 season is cactus.

Look at his potential, look at how he goes over at least the rest of the season, and look at what he is like after an AFL pre-season in 2025.

Then wait a few years to see if he can make it at AFL level, so maybe wait until the end of 2026 to make an assessment as to whether he can be a good player. Can't remember how old he is but he will be what, 21/22 by the end of 2026? As a tall he may still be developing and if he shows signs in the next couple of years we got a bonus at the MSD.

DS
Pretty sure he s 21 yo already , I don’t think it takes 3y before we have an idea or not , if he’s on our list in3y then he must be doing good

Watch a lot of VFL and there are some absolute guns playing

So why don't you stick your neck out and give us just 2 VFL players from your list of "absolute guns" that, rather that Gray, we should have taken?

I'm pretty sure you won't reply because you're actually all about tearing us down rather than providing anything positive.

The ball is in your court!

So why don't you stick your neck out and give us just 2 VFL players from your list of "absolute guns" that, rather that Gray, we should have taken?

I'm pretty sure you won't reply because you're actually all about tearing us down rather than providing anything positive.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

• Haha

Pretty crazy really that so many clubs skipped the draft or passed on picks when there are so many "absolute guns" available.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
My take is.

We selected Gray because he had never been part of a talent pathway.
In his first year of VFL football he has shown AFL traits, and has the scope to develop into an AFL player.

Reactions: 15 users
Has this been quoted somewhere in an interview, and/or where is it coming from?
Ollie, who is an amazing judge of talent given how many likely types have come into our VFL squad of recent times, may have seen him only twice live, but, I’m guessing that there has also been some scouting reports on Gray from other people.

No debut this week.

Swing ArkMan forward for a week in need.
Debuts next week in Dusto's 300th.
What a buzz for the kid.
Sort of a generational changing of the guard.
What a buzz.

Where do I get these ideas?
It's a talent.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My take is.

We selected Gray because he had never been part of a talent pathway.
In his first year of VFL football he has shown AFL traits, and has the scope to develop into an AFL player.
Yeah this seems a clear pattern/trend in the SSP and MSD for us. Pick the alternate pathways guys as their upside is probably higher, with the proviso; Can they adapt to the needs/requirements of a full time AFL/professional sportsman?

Trezise, Coulthard, Bradtke, Kelts, etc are the recent examples. Indicates that Blair looks at this differently to some/many others.

Reactions: 5 users
Turns 21yo in August. Agricultural type. I like that. Long arms. Short legs. Ideal. A bit skinny but I venture to say has an arse on him. I could be wrong about that.

We've only seen him play one game but he seems to want to play football. And is not entirely incapable of that. A breath of fresh air.

Did look above the level in his movement and approach to the air ball. And taller than the 195cm it says on the packet. Looks a nice project type to me. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Reactions: 6 users