Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Kaleb Smith

Dropped after his 10 min debut last week.

Again, it won't hurt him long term and not the biggest issue.

But poor by the club ILO.

Would have been better off for all concerned having someone else as sub last week.

Letting Smithy keep his momentum going in the VFL and bringing him up when he has more trust from the coaching staff.

Hopefully he smashes it in the VFL this week (surely he plays).
Agree, it's a poor first experience. I'd love our club to come out and say, "we won't let our lads debut as subs, we'd rather take them out earlier in the game but remember their first game fondly." The families understand what to expect. The club showed zero faith in him last week and IMO disrespected the family.

The club POD with Richo and TG hinted at maybe flying his family over to Adelaide this week and I thought "brilliant, the club has addressed it and solved it" and then tonight he is dropped altogether. We got this one horribly wrong.
All these feel-good BS videos re kids being debuted this season are lip service and mean Jack shittt when they go and leave the lad on the bench all game, after his family fly from WA to F#$!@^$#@ Geelong. They did the same with Kane in Adelaide and Steely in Brisbane iirc. This has been somewhat of a fail for mine for the NEW RFC.
Agree.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree, it's a poor first experience. I'd love our club to come out and say, "we won't let our lads debut as subs, we'd rather take them out earlier in the game but remember their first game fondly." The families understand what to expect. The club showed zero faith in him last week and IMO disrespected the family.

The club POD with Richo and TG hinted at maybe flying his family over to Adelaide this week and I thought "brilliant, the club has addressed it and solved it" and then tonight he is dropped altogether. We got this one horribly wrong.

Yeah I'm disappointed that he isn't playing tonight too. I wasn't as fussed as some on here about last week, but thought he would back that up with a full game tonight. To be dropped like that is very disappointing. They could have easily "rested" someone like Short who's frankly playing poorly right now, potentially could do with the rest, coming off a 5 day break and with a bunch of experience coming in to replace him, it would have been a good opportunity to do that and give Smith a full game at HB.

Reactions: 3 users

Agree 100%. Absolute rubbish from Richmond FC. If a kid is good enough to get selected then start him in the 22. Playing him as sub and giving him 10 minutes when the game is over is garbage. Particularly when we have no hope of playing finals and the year should be about player development and giving kids as much experience as possible. Not to mention flying his family across the country and down to Geelong only to watch Kaleb sit on the bench for 95% of the game and only get a run when the game was done. The coach showed very little faith in his player. And he doubles down by dropping him this week when he could have left out poor performers such as Dow or Short.

And for those who think that it is not a big deal or people make too much of debut games; well obviously the club thinks it's a big deal! They released not one, but four separate videos relating to Kaleb's debut!! Four! And then give him 10 minutes on the ground and drop him the next week. *smile* lip service.

The sub rule is garbage but it is in play right now so we have to use it. But to debut a player as sub is poor selection policy; especially in the situation we find ourselves. Give them a proper crack at it. *smile* poor from Yze; lift man.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
All these feel-good BS videos re kids being debuted this season are lip service and mean Jack shittt when they go and leave the lad on the bench all game, after his family fly from WA to F#$!@^$#@ Geelong. They did the same with Kane in Adelaide and Steely in Brisbane iirc. This has been somewhat of a fail for mine for the NEW RFC.
Spot on Craig. Massive fail from the club and Yze on this one. Film 4 separate videos about his debut then give him 10 minutes when the game is done. Absolute *smile*.

I don't know if Yze can coach; we've got 3 years to find out. He's been delivered a *smile* sandwich with the worst injury list I can recall seeing in my entire time watching VFL/AFL footy. That said some of his selection decisions with the players he has had available have been questionable. McAuliffe and Smith debuting as sub; ongoing selection of Dow who is not up to it, refusal to make Short accountable for terrible performances as a senior player. Not to mention horrendously uncompetitive performances against Bulldogs and Lions two weeks in a row.

It's been a baptism of fire but he will get the 3 years to prove himself. Needs to get some luck with injuries but he's got his work cut out.

Reactions: 1 users
Great work by Yze on this - tells the kid that it's hard to get into the seniors and even harder to stay there. Will toughen the kid up.

Outstanding effort here by Adem. Keep it up coach!

• Haha
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Hope Kaleb deals with it more professionally and adult than posters on here

Reactions: 6 users
Agree 100%. Absolute rubbish from Richmond FC. If a kid is good enough to get selected then start him in the 22. Playing him as sub and giving him 10 minutes when the game is over is garbage. Particularly when we have no hope of playing finals and the year should be about player development and giving kids as much experience as possible. Not to mention flying his family across the country and down to Geelong only to watch Kaleb sit on the bench for 95% of the game and only get a run when the game was done. The coach showed very little faith in his player. And he doubles down by dropping him this week when he could have left out poor performers such as Dow or Short.

And for those who think that it is not a big deal or people make too much of debut games; well obviously the club thinks it's a big deal! They released not one, but four separate videos relating to Kaleb's debut!! Four! And then give him 10 minutes on the ground and drop him the next week. *smile* lip service.

The sub rule is garbage but it is in play right now so we have to use it. But to debut a player as sub is poor selection policy; especially in the situation we find ourselves. Give them a proper crack at it. *smile* poor from Yze; lift man.
Yep. Disgusting to look the kid in the eye and tell him he's earned his debut after weeks of strong performances but tell him 4 days later that he didn't do enough in his 10 minutes to keep his spot.

A lifelong dream for Kaleb and an incredible shared family moment that Yze and the club have destroyed.

• Haha
  • Sad
Yep. Disgusting to look the kid in the eye and tell him he's earned his debut after weeks of strong performances but tell him 4 days later that he didn't do enough in his 10 minutes to keep his spot.

A lifelong dream for Kaleb and an incredible shared family moment that Yze and the club have destroyed.
oh FFS

• Love
Great work by Yze on this - tells the kid that it's hard to get into the seniors and even harder to stay there. Will toughen the kid up.

Pity he doesn't hold players such as Dow to the same standard.

Nice trolling in any case.

Not sure I'd go that far.

But, debuting as a sub makes sense given the step up in standard and that a young player will likely not have the tank to run out a whole game.

That said, I would have thought you give him at least a quarter, we aren't contending so we can afford to do this.

DS

Trolling? Maybe some of us think the angst and drama over all this is a little over the top.
It was ridiculous from Yze and the club to make such a massive deal (4 separate videos) to pick a kid for his debut and tell him how much he's earned it and then sit him on the bench for 95% of the game; only bringing him on when the game was over. Then immediately drop him the next week whilst leaving serial underperformers like Dow and Short (this season) in the team. Despite the now obvious lip service shown prior to the debut, Yze by his actions showed very little faith in Kaleb.

It just makes no sense particularly in light of where we are at. Our 1-11 start to the season is apparently our worst statistically in 116 years in the competition. Either he is ready to play or he is not. If you select him play him and give him a crack. If he is not ready don't pull some PR stunt for some likes on Instagram; leave him in the VFL. The coach's actions on Saturday did not match his words from earlier in the week.

Not sure I'd go that far.

But, debuting as a sub makes sense given the step up in standard and that a young player will likely not have the tank to run out a whole game.

That said, I would have thought you give him at least a quarter, we aren't contending so we can afford to do this.

DS
Agree should have got longer for sure

It was ridiculous from Yze and the club to make such a massive deal (4 separate videos) to pick a kid for his debut and tell him how much he's earned it and then sit him on the bench for 95% of the game; only bringing him on when the game was over. Then immediately drop him the next week whilst leaving serial underperformers like Dow and Short (this season) in the team. Despite the now obvious lip service shown prior to the debut, Yze by his actions showed very little faith in Kaleb.

It just makes no sense particularly in light of where we are at. Our 1-11 start to the season is apparently our worst statistically in 116 years in the competition. Either he is ready to play or he is not. If you select him play him and give him a crack. If he is not ready don't pull some PR stunt for some likes on Instagram; leave him in the VFL. The coach's actions on Saturday did not match his words from earlier in the week.

If you think the club's social media department and how families might feel should drive football decisions, that's up to you.

I'm tipping Kaleb will be over this and trying his best to make the seniors again well before you get over the terrible trauma he's suffered.

If you think the club's social media department and how families might feel should drive football decisions, that's up to you.

I'm tipping Kaleb will be over this and trying his best to make the seniors again well before you get over the terrible trauma he's suffered.
Nah I get it. It's really hard to get into a team that has the worst injury list ever seen and has won 1 game out of 12 with a percentage in the 50s. But then when you do get in it's really hard to stay in. We'll give you 10 minutes game time to prove yourself and if you don't dominate straight back to the VFL!

Social media department ha ha. Give us a spell. Pretty sure the coach was the one who told him how much he'd earned the game but then basically showed no faith in him. Don't think it was the work experience kid with an I-Phone I saw with Kaleb.

But yeah he'll get over it and onwards and upwards, seems a good kid and looks to have talent. But IMHO it was poor selection policy from the club and we should do better.

Reactions: 5 users