Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Same player without the gun teammates. Reasonably quick, fit and decent tank. Long, penetrating kick.

Poor one on one, hesitant in a contest and not great at setting up play.

Suited our game style of get it forward at all costs as quickly as possible.

Not a star but definitely surrounded by stars.

Right now his deficiencies are being exposed.

Reactions: 7 users
If he gets traded there will less arguments in this thread…I’ll take a 2nd rounder any day!

Reactions: 1 user
OK Short detractors. This season compared to all Tiger players.
1. Metres gained almost 2000 more.
2. Marks ranked 5
3 Kicks ranked 1
4. Disposal effic. Ranked 2
5.Disposal effectiveness ranked 6
6,inside fifty effectiveness.Ranked 5th
7.Rebound fifties .Ranked 2
8.Clangers ranked 8th but some high figures above him.Bolton for one.

Tell me again why he needs to be delisted?
1. Is on top for average per game at 480 but we know he just kicks long without advantage much of the time. I'd argue tha Vlastuin's 400 per game (2nd) and Rioli's 370 (3rd) are far more valuable. They also have far better kick/handball ratios.

2. Backmen make up 5 of the top 6. Making space for uncontested marks isn't his problem, it's what he then does with it. Far too often that's hold the ball up and then simply kick long.

3. This is because he has a ridiculously high kick to handball ratio, 4 to 1. 24th for average handballs per game. This highlights the issue, he seems to not have the capacity to make the best decision. In contrast Rioli's ratio is closer to 1.2 to 1.

4. Disposal efficiency stat favours backmen immensely. In fact top 8 players in this stat are backmen. Additionally it is significantly affected by contested possession. Short is 35th. Only Green, Ryan, Smith, Young, Coulthard, Clarke are lower. That's a real indictment. In essence many of Short's disposals are not under pressure.

5 & 6 never seen these stats or know what they mean exactly

7. Yes because majority of his kicks are long indiscriminate kicks to outside the arc.

8. Is actually 13th for average clangers per game. I don't personally pay alot of attention to this stat, turnovers are far more critical particular for backmen for which he averages 2nd on our list. Many long indiscriminate kicks to contests are not considered as turnovers.

He's been poor, pure and simple. Decision-making, turnovers, lack of defence. No-one argues that he doesn't get plenty of the ball after-all that's his role, link man.

Being delisted is not really an argument, he's contracted through to 2027.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
He's been poor, but how much of this is lack of performance by his team mates? The long dump kicks, if this wasn't a strategy, I'd imagine he'd have been dealt with by now. Probably better to dump long and down the line to a contest or to space, than get tackled a d turn it over Inside defensive 50.
I repeat, he's been Poor. But I think *some* of this is him being a symptom, not the cause.
Lack of defensive intensity is completely different. That's attitude for mine.

Reactions: 4 users
He's been poor, but how much of this is lack of performance by his team mates? The long dump kicks, if this wasn't a strategy, I'd imagine he'd have been dealt with by now. Probably better to dump long and down the line to a contest or to space, than get tackled a d turn it over Inside defensive 50.
I repeat, he's been Poor. But I think *some* of this is him being a symptom, not the cause.
Lack of defensive intensity is completely different. That's attitude for mine.
It's a fair comment but I see Vlastuin, for example, finding good long options when they present, he just sees things unfold up the ground alot better. But yes some players are cream on top type players who are worth alot more when having a quality team around them.

Question is, do you accept this is what Short can give every week and just keep playing him back, or give other youngsters a chance to prove themselves?

Same player without the gun teammates. Reasonably quick, fit and decent tank. Long, penetrating kick.

Poor one on one, hesitant in a contest and not great at setting up play.

Suited our game style of get it forward at all costs as quickly as possible.

Not a star but definitely surrounded by stars.

Right now his deficiencies are being exposed.
My two bobs worth FWIW

Overall I reckon yours is a fair assessment - just a bit too harsh in that aspect

I reckon he taught himself to be brave in the contest (a bit like Bachar did i.e. it wasn't necessarily his natural game). He's stood his ground many times in tough situations over the years - including big finals. But sure his strength is to gather the ball on the run and go long - and he did that beautifully year after year.

Clearly he provided more value to the team when his role complimented that of the great team we had during the finals and flag years.

And yeah I've been especially frustrated with him this season - but the whole season has been one giant frustration

Your point being what mate ? He wasn’t switched around as Dan replaced Bachar Houli.
Houli had retired more than a season before Daniel ‘replaced him’. They decided that Short and Rioli weren’t a good mix on the halfback line. Too similar as attacking runners. Shorty was then tried forward and on the ball with not much success, My point is that Shorty’s role changed and he became less effective.
Just an opinion.

It's a fair comment but I see Vlastuin, for example, finding good long options when they present, he just sees things unfold up the ground alot better. But yes some players are cream on top type players who are worth alot more when having a quality team around them.

Question is, do you accept this is what Short can give every week and just keep playing him back, or give other youngsters a chance to prove themselves?
No I don't accept poor form. The rest after that is redundant. I think the lack of a full list has given him a lot more latitude than he'd have been given in the past.
We know he's got a hoof. He's going to take risks others in the team won't, because he has the talent to pull it off. But this year is just a write off.

Short is a proven star.

Like Balta, Bolton, Baker and others, has gone backwards this year.

A star - Would dispute that Burger Rings.

Had a very very good 2020. But that is his only top 5 B&F finish.

Outside that year, reckon he was moreso a valuable role player that found his niche through our dynasty.

Unfortunately, as we've dropped away he hasn''t been able to step up and show himself that he's more than that.

1. Is on top for average per game at 480 but we know he just kicks long without advantage much of the time. I'd argue tha Vlastuin's 400 per game (2nd) and Rioli's 370 (3rd) are far more valuable. They also have far better kick/handball ratios.

2. Backmen make up 5 of the top 6. Making space for uncontested marks isn't his problem, it's what he then does with it. Far too often that's hold the ball up and then simply kick long.

3. This is because he has a ridiculously high kick to handball ratio, 4 to 1. 24th for average handballs per game. This highlights the issue, he seems to not have the capacity to make the best decision. In contrast Rioli's ratio is closer to 1.2 to 1.

4. Disposal efficiency stat favours backmen immensely. In fact top 8 players in this stat are backmen. Additionally it is significantly affected by contested possession. Short is 35th. Only Green, Ryan, Smith, Young, Coulthard, Clarke are lower. That's a real indictment. In essence many of Short's disposals are not under pressure.

5 & 6 never seen these stats or know what they mean exactly

7. Yes because majority of his kicks are long indiscriminate kicks to outside the arc.

8. Is actually 13th for average clangers per game. I don't personally pay alot of attention to this stat, turnovers are far more critical particular for backmen for which he averages 2nd on our list. Many long indiscriminate kicks to contests are not considered as turnovers.

He's been poor, pure and simple. Decision-making, turnovers, lack of defence. No-one argues that he doesn't get plenty of the ball after-all that's his role, link man.

Being delisted is not really an argument, he's contracted through to 2027.
Excellent post

I don’t really like or follow threads that to me are bagging individual players excessively. I’ve felt the same about criticism of Shorty, to me it has been excessive.

It first ignores his role in the team which is to get to as many contests in the back half and up to the midfield he can and be the outlet and distribute. He’s been a good player in that role for us over a decent period of time.

On Saturday I was frustrated by his game. He fumbled a few times and he made 2-3 really poor decisions with the ball and executed badly. I’ve been frustrated watching him for much of the season but I think his form has dipped even more. His ball handling was usually pretty good, but right now it isn’t.

Shorty is a confident person, by all reports a talker and someone who keeps the morale of the group going. But to me his confidence is shot, he is playing like someone who is doing it hard on the field and is 2nd guessing himself.

A star - Would dispute that Burger Rings.

Had a very very good 2020. But that is his only top 5 B&F finish.

Outside that year, reckon he was moreso a valuable role player that found his niche through our dynasty.

Unfortunately, as we've dropped away he hasn''t been able to step up and show himself that he's more than that.

So “outside of 2020” Shorty was just a “role player”

Good. Lord.

Leysy you need an intervention. This is pretty spectacular garbage.

Houli had retired more than a season before Daniel ‘replaced him’. They decided that Short and Rioli weren’t a good mix on the halfback line. Too similar as attacking runners. Shorty was then tried forward and on the ball with not much success, My point is that Shorty’s role changed and he became less effective.
Just an opinion.
I reckon Rioli went back late 2021. Houli played his last game late 2021.
DRioli actually missed Houli's last game, then came back into the side the following week named at HB.

And he wasnt shifted cos of Rioli, or really even his own form. He moved to the midfield after we started poorly in 2022. Against the WEagles we moved Baker and Balta back into defence. Short moved to the midfield and we won by 100pts. We didnt lose another game by more than 6pts for the rest of the year and Short generally proved good in the midfield surrounded by our dynasty guns like Cotch, Prestia, Dusty, Lambert etc.

Reactions: 1 users