Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Finding the Short hate a bit over the top.Some say no tackles,ther were six others yesterday no tackles. 22 possessions but some say no good.Well still more than many in the side.His kicking albeit long goes to the wrong /and or opposing players.Not always.Truth be known the players were probably told just do enough to be in this game but make sure we lose.
Given the team only scored 77 points against another cellar dweller and the season average is mind blowingly poor(in the future someone will look back to our scoring this season and say that must have been a very wet season) I would play Short half forward and feed him the ball at every op in the last remaining games.
He is an outside player, his strength should be his disposal, breaking lines and creating opportunities. He just isn't doing that. If you're not doing that then you next focus on defensive efforts. Opposition just breaks through his efforts, what few of them there are. At the moment he is a liability. 9 turnovers from 22 disposals. Not good enough. Problem is where he turns the ball over often results in a goal or creates immense pressure on our defense creating options when he has the ball. In a perfect world he deserves to be dropped but of course Tiger's situation this year hasn't really allowed us to drop senior players.

Reactions: 2 users
He is an outside player, his strength should be his disposal, breaking lines and creating opportunities. He just isn't doing that. If you're not doing that then you next focus on defensive efforts. Opposition just breaks through his efforts, what few of them there are. At the moment he is a liability. 9 turnovers from 22 disposals. Not good enough. Problem is where he turns the ball over often results in a goal or creates immense pressure on our defense creating options when he has the ball. In a perfect world he deserves to be dropped but of course Tiger's situation this year hasn't really allowed us to drop senior players.
Dropping him to do what I ask? Reckon the idea of moving him forward and feeding him to kick long for goal should reduce your worry of turnovers.Goals are what we need,and lots of them.He will learn nothing in the twos IMO.

Dropping him to do what I ask? Reckon the idea of moving him forward and feeding him to kick long for goal should reduce your worry of turnovers.Goals are what we need,and lots of them.He will learn nothing in the twos IMO.

Its not about teaching anything about the way to play, its to teach him that their are consequences to consistently poor performances. No-one should be guaranteed their place regardless of form.

22 disposals, only 4 contested and 9 turnovers is horrendous.

His form is so far down from his best, a message should be being sent IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
He's never played forward. If that's the idea, which I don't think will work as he's not an evasive player like a D Rioli, then let him show he is capable in that forward position at VFL level. He's not playing AFL quality footy atm and doesn't seem focused on improving himself, is just plodding along comfortably on his neat contract and salary.

He's never played forward. If that's the idea, which I don't think will work as he's not an evasive player like a D Rioli, then let him show he is capable in that forward position at VFL level. He's not playing AFL quality footy atm and doesn't seem focused on improving himself, is just plodding along comfortably on his neat contract and salary.
He has actually. He was a quick small forward in the VFL. He debuted against Collingwood and it was as a small forward. Kicked 3 goals. Then as Hardwick tended to do at the time with anyone whose names weren’t Dustin Martian or Jack Riewoldt, he was sent into defence, where he has stayed. I’ve thought he should have been moved forward for years.

Reactions: 1 users
Its not about teaching anything about the way to play, its to teach him that their are consequences to consistently poor performances. No-one should be guaranteed their place regardless of form.

22 disposals, only 4 contested and 9 turnovers is horrendous.

His form is so far down from his best, a message should be being sent IMO.
at least he is getting disposals.Many others are barely touching it ATM.Move him forward,utilise his long kicking.Could be the next KB!

No no no what is this rewriting history crap

Shorty has been poor of late, no arguments there

But to suggest he’s always been bad is ludicrous

Let’s put that to bed right there
We all have our opinions. I have always voiced mine.
My opinion continues to be the same.

He has actually. He was a quick small forward in the VFL. He debuted against Collingwood and it was as a small forward. Kicked 3 goals. Then as Hardwick tended to do at the time with anyone whose names weren’t Dustin Martian or Jack Riewoldt, he was sent into defence, where he has stayed. I’ve thought he should have been moved forward for years.
Sorry I meant at AFL level he hasn't played forward. Am aware he played forward at VFL level, in this thread, it mentions he kicked 6 goals in 10 games in 2015. That's a long time ago. If that's to happen now, need to see if he's capable at VFL level and find some confidence whilst he's at it because right now he's providing little. In the end I prefer we find young natural small forwards, this repurposing of older players hasn't in the majority workedfor us in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
He’s not injured. He’s just not a good player anymore. When we were a great team he could rely on his team mates to do all the defensive work for him and Shorty was able to play to his strengths. Get out on his own and continually drive the ball forward and he could actually hit targets or kick goals when he was under little pressure.

Now we are poor he doesn’t have the safety blanket of gun players to cover his deficiencies. He panics when he gets the ball and always seems to think he’s under pressure and just dump kicks generally straight to opposition. He directly gave up at least 2 goals that I saw yesterday under those circumstances. One was a kick the other a handball. He is also incapable of applying defensive pressure.

It’s a failure of Yze to not recognise what has been happening for a while now and remove Short from the backline or from the team altogether. Will be an interesting watch in 2025.

Too true old Chimpley.

Reckon a lot are saying he's massively dropped off. Don't think that's accurate. Not completely anyway.

Yes, he's been allowed to get away with more rope in his soft efforts by the new coach (which is a worry) that have hurt his performance.

But by and large what we see now is who Shorty always was.

Lot's of run around uncontested possessions, which if you use it well is OK. His ground ball gets have also dried up.

But he's always been pre-disposed to early disposals to alleviate body contact. But back then when he dump kicked, he had Tom or Jack down the line to provide a contest. And then we would swarm on ground and win it again. Good job Shorty!!

We don't have that now. So his inadequacies are there for all to see. Early disposals to avoid taking the contact are now to the opposition because we can't cover him.

Reckon how Yze uses him will be the biggest "tell" if he will be a success as coach.

Popular clubman, who sets an extremely poor example (and results) on field. Great test case for the coach - who ILO has the perfect example to be strong but also showcase his soft skills (not sure he has) by selling the message to rebuild Jayden.

BTW - He has 2 score involvements from his 22 possessions yesterday. The equal lowest in the team.

Reactions: 9 users
I notice they went bakes (a player that is probably leaving) as captain when nank was out the previous week im pretty sure internally the club is thinking the same as everyone here that he is shirking the issue in nearly every contest. Stronger leadership from the coaching staff and this would already have been addressed at selection. Unfortunately standards have slipped.

Too true old Chimpley.

Reckon a lot are saying he's massively dropped off. Don't think that's accurate. Not completely anyway.

Yes, he's been allowed to get away with more rope in his soft efforts by the new coach (which is a worry) that have hurt his performance.

Lot's of run around uncontested possessions, which if you use it well is OK. His ground ball gets have also dried up.

But he's always been pre-disposed to early disposals to alleviate body contact. But back then when he dump kicked, he had Tom or Jack down the line to provide a contest. And then we would swarm on ground and win it again. Good job Shorty!!

We don't have that now. So his inadequacies are there for all to see. Early disposals to avoid taking the contact are now to the opposition because we can't cover him.

Reckon how Yze uses him will be the biggest "tell" if he will be a success as coach.

Popular clubman, who sets an extremely poor example (and results) on field. Great test case for the coach - who ILO has the perfect example to be strong but also showcase his soft skills (not sure he has) by selling the message to rebuild Jayden.

BTW - He has 2 score involvements from his 22 possessions yesterday. The equal lowest in the team.
Had more score involvement for Roos than us, been very disappointing for a couple of years now

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I notice they went bakes (a player that is probably leaving) as captain when nank was out the previous week im pretty sure internally the club is thinking the same as everyone here that he is shirking the issue in nearly every contest. Stronger leadership from the coaching staff and this would already have been addressed at selection. Unfortunately standards have slipped.
Hopefully, when/if they look at the leadership group, Short is removed from it. That’s if we can’t offload him earlier.

Short was inspired in 2020. His dad had just died and he was hubbed up with his 40 brothers and second dad. I have no doubt he took a lot of power from that and wanted to honour his old man. He did his family proud. He was superb that year and was a key contributor to a flag. His commitment to the cause and the contest could not be questioned. Unfortunately you can't say that for much of his career.

Even in 2020, his strength was to get the ball a long way forward and let the superstars work it out. Even in the 2019 prelim, when his long bomb to Jack resulted in the genius tap to Dusty, it was still a kick to a 1 on 4. Long bombs to Snake, kick it to Royce and get out of his way stuff. It worked because we had genius ahead of him and steel around him. And in that framework he was a valuable component.

He can be proud of what he's achieved in the game. Thanks, Shorty. Next.

Reactions: 8 users
Too true old Chimpley.

Absolute rubbish. Garbage.

The rewriting of history and subsequent circle jerk in here is truly a sight to behold.

Shorty hardened up and was super accountable for a period of 4-5 seasons.

Folks talk about long bombs to contest, it fed our revolutionary game plan. Do ya really think he’d be in a top four side if he wasn’t following instructions?

Been poor this year, no argument at all.

But end the circle jerk about Shorty always being soft and unaccountable.

It’s crazy.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Short was inspired in 2020. His dad had just died and he was hubbed up with his 40 brothers and second dad. I have no doubt he took a lot of power from that and wanted to honour his old man. He did his family proud. He was superb that year and was a key contributor to a flag. His commitment to the cause and the contest could not be questioned. Unfortunately you can't say that for much of his career.

Even in 2020, his strength was to get the ball a long way forward and let the superstars work it out. Even in the 2019 prelim, when his long bomb to Jack resulted in the genius tap to Dusty, it was still a kick to a 1 on 4. Long bombs to Snake, kick it to Royce and get out of his way stuff. It worked because we had genius ahead of him and steel around him. And in that framework he was a valuable component.

He can be proud of what he's achieved in the game. Thanks, Shorty. Next.
So he only applied himself to football after a death in the family?

Absolute crap and highly offensive to any friends or family that happen to read in here.

Nothing you say about Short can be taken seriously, everyone knows that.

Reactions: 1 users