Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

22 disposals, 9 turnovers despite only 4 contested possessions. Honestly, the game has passed him. Slowin mind & execution and he's supposed to be the go to link man. Oh zero tackles and only 6 pressure acts to highlight his defensive skill.

Add to those where he kicks long to a contest and the ball isn't marked by anyone, but brought to ground and then turned over. Goes down as an efficient disposal and not a turnover.

Reckon that was around about 1 of the worst games he has ever played. Wouldn't be unhappy to see Out Short, In Smith next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Amazing how he used to hang around the player 55 out from goal (bout to have a shot) and receive the handball and bang home a goal. I swear he did it 3 times in one game (think against the pies). Can’t do it anymore. Rarely gets it and if he does can’t make the distance or misses.

Think someone on here said he was carrying a lower body injury. Not sure if true.
Did it a couple of times in a matter of minutes against the Pies. Tried it a lot after that, and it only rarely came off, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Diabolical today, getting progressively worse week on week.
I'd leave him out for the last 3, and play Kaleb Smith.

Reactions: 7 users
His form has left him and now he gives us nothing overall for whatever the stats say. Bigwow has got it right, play Kaleb Smith, if available, in his place for the rest of the season

Reactions: 1 users
How you treat people you don't know is a good first indicator of what kind of person you are.

Shorty was a great contributor in our flag years, like many he's suffering through the current transition. He's probably not as good as I thought he was and not as bad as he looks right now.

I'd trade him if we can but might be hard due to his contract situation.
He’s only as good as the players around him.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
He seems to be getting worse each week. So what are Yze's options? Give him a turn in the VFL to 'freshen up'? "Manage" him (effectively dropping him but not playing him in the VFL). Move him into another role to see if he can turn things around? I don't know what will work best but something different needs to be tried as it must be dispiriting for coach and player to witness this demise.

Terrible again yesterday. Been a steady decline over a fair while now. Just killed us with his turnovers and bombs. Zero tackles as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Drop him to the VFL for the rest of the season (sorry to do that to Morro, but sacrifices have to be made) and then try and trade him. We'll have to pay some of his salary and probably give whoever is foolish enough to take him something back, but we just have to get this guy out of the team.
A perfect Stkilda target.

• Love
  • Haha
Terrible again yesterday. Been a steady decline over a fair while now. Just killed us with his turnovers and bombs. Zero tackles as well.
His effort has been shitful as well. Of any player who looks to have checked out Short is top of the list.

His effort has been shitful as well. Of any player who looks to have checked out Short is top of the list.
I don’t want to read to much into WT , however Shorty may be the best example of what’s going on in the sheds with the new regime .

I think the answer will be obvious this time next year , we most likely will be bottom end of the ladder , however geez I hope we are playing as a united unit once again.

I still admire Shortys work rate to get the “ easy” ball and I think the critics are probably a tad harsh on his kicking as he still does deliver the old lace out bullet , however as an overall package we appear to have ordered Shorty at his best and had a Temu Mitch Farmer delivered.

As we all know Shorty is a very popular clubman , considering his contracted I doubt he’ll be moved on , time to try him as a high half forward and let the cubs learn to get the easy ball of half back

I haven’t watched a lot of Shorty in recent times, so I’ll go with what the majority on here are saying as being accurate.

It sounds like he is injured, his confidence is shot, or most likely both.

Why the hell then is he playing? I just don’t get it.

It doesn’t matter if he is part of our future or not. If he is broken in any way, this is the time of year in a shot to pieces season to let him heal and repair.

I haven’t watched a lot of Shorty in recent times, so I’ll go with what the majority on here are saying as being accurate.

It sounds like he is injured, his confidence is shot, or most likely both.

Why the hell then is he playing? I just don’t get it.

It doesn’t matter if he is part of our future or not. If he is broken in any way, this is the time of year in a shot to pieces season to let him heal and repair.
He’s not injured. He’s just not a good player anymore. When we were a great team he could rely on his team mates to do all the defensive work for him and Shorty was able to play to his strengths. Get out on his own and continually drive the ball forward and he could actually hit targets or kick goals when he was under little pressure.

Now we are poor he doesn’t have the safety blanket of gun players to cover his deficiencies. He panics when he gets the ball and always seems to think he’s under pressure and just dump kicks generally straight to opposition. He directly gave up at least 2 goals that I saw yesterday under those circumstances. One was a kick the other a handball. He is also incapable of applying defensive pressure.

It’s a failure of Yze to not recognise what has been happening for a while now and remove Short from the backline or from the team altogether. Will be an interesting watch in 2025.

Last edited:
Still the player he has always been.
This is not a thing that has happened just this year its an ongoing dilemma.

Amasing how we overrate our own when we are winning.

Finding the Short hate a bit over the top.Some say no tackles,ther were six others yesterday no tackles. 22 possessions but some say no good.Well still more than many in the side.His kicking albeit long goes to the wrong /and or opposing players.Not always.Truth be known the players were probably told just do enough to be in this game but make sure we lose.
Given the team only scored 77 points against another cellar dweller and the season average is mind blowingly poor(in the future someone will look back to our scoring this season and say that must have been a very wet season) I would play Short half forward and feed him the ball at every op in the last remaining games.

• Wow
So your effectively saying play Short instead of Campbell, Bolton and Mansell forward. MRJ can't be too far away and id prefer we have another look at Coulthard to see the season out.
We need to develop forwards and get games into them in Campbells case, not 29yo pea heart losers who are a huge problem moving forward.

Sooner or later this club will have to embrace younger players over non performing seniors. I only pray its sooner.

Still the player he has always been.
This is not a thing that has happened just this year its an ongoing dilemma.

Amasing how we overrate our own when we are winning.
No no no what is this rewriting history crap

Shorty has been poor of late, no arguments there

But to suggest he’s always been bad is ludicrous

Let’s put that to bed right there

Reactions: 5 users