Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

When he was playing in a premiership team surrounded by players like Houli, Lambert and Edwards and kicking long to two tall forwards who could be relied on to mark or bring it to ground, Short was as good as anyone at doing what he does. That's when (while in the media) Ross Lyon said he was the best in the AFL for taking the ground.

Now though, he isn't surrounded by those stars and a long kick is more likely to be a turnover than a halved contest.

Is he doing so much different now? Similar to K Mac in my view. The scruffy disposal didn't matter as much when we had insane pressure all over the ground.

Thinking about the criticism levelled at our senior players for not 'stepping up'. It's a bit harsh I think. The ones we have left are the foot soldiers who are still doing what they've always done, trying their hardest, but now in an ordinary team they don't look as flash. We may want Short to morph into Bachar but it's not going to happen. There are other ways of showing leadership obviously but I am not close to the club so I wouldn't know what is happening there.

Reactions: 6 users
When he was playing in a premiership team surrounded by players like Houli, Lambert and Edwards and kicking long to two tall forwards who could be relied on to mark or bring it to ground, Short was as good as anyone at doing what he does. That's when (while in the media) Ross Lyon said he was the best in the AFL for taking the ground.

Now though, he isn't surrounded by those stars and a long kick is more likely to be a turnover than a halved contest.

Is he doing so much different now? Similar to K Mac in my view. The scruffy disposal didn't matter as much when we had insane pressure all over the ground.

Thinking about the criticism levelled at our senior players for not 'stepping up'. It's a bit harsh I think. The ones we have left are the foot soldiers who are still doing what they've always done, trying their hardest, but now in an ordinary team they don't look as flash. We may want Short to morph into Bachar but it's not going to happen. There are other ways of showing leadership obviously but I am not close to the club so I wouldn't know what is happening there.
Very good analogy. Blokes like him McIntosh and a few others are exactly what they have always been.

The term role player implies players are limited but can do a particular role to satisfaction.
Our mistake was we knew we had some blokes who could do that role but longer term need to be replaced for more rounded players.
Success blinded us in this we stopped looking for their replacements.

Reactions: 1 user
Very good analogy. Blokes like him McIntosh and a few others are exactly what they have always been.

The term role player implies players are limited but can do a particular role to satisfaction.
Our mistake was we knew we had some blokes who could do that role but longer term need to be replaced for more rounded players.
Success blinded us in this we stopped looking for their replacements.
Was it complacency or a deliberate strategy to keep the group together and get as much out of them as possible (like Brisbane 2001-04)?

Short wouldn’t be getting paid like a role player, so it’s fair to expect him to be delivering a lot more than one…

The non contest when Nank kicked to him….damning. Several of his team mates let him know. I hope the coach does too.

Reactions: 4 users
The non contest when Nank kicked to him….damning. Several of his team mates let him know. I hope the coach does too.
Yep how is he in the leadership group he literally looked and said na i don't want body contact and he's done it every week. Time to play as sub or dropped you can't set standards when your leadership group is doing this. And flapper mcintosh can join him what a waste playing him

Sheep dog. Needs to be dropped or sat on the pine as sub for 3 quarters.

Does Yze have the guts or does he only do that with young players?

Reactions: 3 users
Sheep dog. Needs to be dropped or sat on the pine as sub for 3 quarters.

Does Yze have the guts or does he only do that with young players?
He doesn't want to loose the established players but in doing so he's loosing his credibility and the fans

Should have dropped him a month ago. He’s been a liability for most of the season. At the moment the leadership consists of one player: Nank. TT might be another. Short is not a leader.

Very satisfied with his flags and money we are paying him. Move him on will just cruise for the rest of his big contract

Shorty's form has been a shadow of previous seasons and he is living on past glories. As a senior player it appears that the MC are loathe to drop him even if they can see that despite stats, he doesn't really contribute much