Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

In the past David we had better players to bring it to ground and better crumbers.

I also think that’s one of the issues we have as a team, we don’t create options for players to kick to.

Yeah, I think I've said a few times that our forward line is very static. Certainly is frustrating, especially that given our forward line is devoid of talls, we really need to be creating opportunities in the forward line and elsewhere for more uncontested possessions.

I just can't believe that the coaching staff aren't saying this but it sure ain't happening on the ground.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I think I've said a few times that our forward line is very static. Certainly is frustrating, especially that given our forward line is devoid of talls, we really need to be creating opportunities in the forward line and elsewhere for more uncontested possessions.

I just can't believe that the coaching staff aren't saying this but it sure ain't happening on the ground.

DS
Not just static, but dysfunctional, it’s seems like it’s been happening for years.

I don’t know what @caesar has them doing at training or whether he’s been leaving it up to his assistants. But he better start taking charge.
Lift @caesar

Not just static, but dysfunctional, it’s seems like it’s been happening for years.

I don’t know what @caesar has them doing at training or whether he’s been leaving it up to his assistants. But he better start taking charge.
Lift @caesar
It is only 2 years ago in 2022 when we were the highest scoring team in the AFL. We averaged 97 points a game in 2022. Clearly our forward half game plan was not dysfunctional in 2022 so to me something has changed

Our personnel has changed enormously, we had 2 high quality key forwards in 2022 and we had a better overall quality team but our game plan has not. We needed to adapt to change and we haven't ......yet

It is only 2 years ago in 2022 when we were the highest scoring team in the AFL. We averaged 97 points a game in 2022. Clearly our forward half game plan was not dysfunctional in 2022 so to me something has changed

Our personnel has changed enormously, we had 2 high quality key forwards in 2022 and we had a better overall quality team but our game plan has not. We needed to adapt to change and we haven't ......yet
The game plan thing is on Dimma. It’s gonna take Yze time to deprogram them, and the injuries don’t help with that.

Reactions: 2 users
All I said was he was a dead eye *smile* from outside 50?

So is Farrell
The data does not support this though.

I think in the past we had a pretty simple game plan. Move the ball quickly. Get it forward at all costs. Trap it inside 50 and back ourselves to get repeat entries. Force the opposition to kick long to contests. Short's role was simpler perhaps? Utilise your speed, gather territory and kick it long. We never let the opposition mark that kick.

Short is, in a way, a limited footballer. Defensively poor and not a great decision maker. I think Dyer'ere is onto something with Short being "undercoached" since the stand rule/personnel change. He needs to perhaps look at the shorter option, the diagnol/45 kick etc. We have never really adapted to the stand rule as well as other sides IMO.

That's just not right Sin. I agree that the few previous pages are essentially abuse of a guy that won a JDM and has had very good patches of football, albeit when surrounded by elite footballers.

But his kicking has never been dead-eye from 50-60. Look at his goal kicking stats, 35.30. His accuracy is worse than George. The year he won the JDM he kicked 0.4 for the year.

Compare him to Kane Farrell, another back flanker who loves pinging at the goals like Short. He has kicked 45.29. Now there is an elite long kick.

Short is a long penetrating kick, he is quick and has a tank. But he is not an elite kick IMO.

Sorry, but compare him to the similar role player. Farrell is a very similar player. But an elite kick. I would guess he has kicked more from outside 50 goals than Short. He is a longer and more accurate kick than Short. At a much better accuracy. Now there is an elite kick. I cannot recall seeing Farrell defend one on one but doubt he is any worse than Short.
Agree with what you are saying in your posts here.

What i don't get is why are we all so content on such a limited player.
What is wrong with vigorously searching for a far more rounded player.
How hard was it to find a good hbf. Just look at Dan Rioli.

Running Half Back for me is a line breaker with line breaking pace and a good motor to go with it.
Be damaging by foot, a player who can take on hard kicks and hit targets. Failing that Be calm under pressure and make good decisions with ball in hand and kicking within limitations.
Must be able to defend a man all backs must have this attribute imo.

What does Short actually bring to the table. A long penetrating kick that usually goes to an opponent or a 50/50 contest.
He has decent pace and a reasonable motor. That is it there has never been anything else. A total liability in too many other things.

If we all acknowledge that there is a hell of a lot of rebuilding to go thru, that it is unlikely we will be contemplating finals for a fair while.
Then its actually folly not to be trying options like Smith and Trezise even Banks in his place.
If for no other reason he won't be there when we start to challenge again yet alone his shortcomings.
He maybe could get a game for his onfield leadership when others are gone or retired. But he has no onfield leadership qualities.

The data does not support this though.

I think in the past we had a pretty simple game plan. Move the ball quickly. Get it forward at all costs. Trap it inside 50 and back ourselves to get repeat entries. Force the opposition to kick long to contests. Short's role was simpler perhaps? Utilise your speed, gather territory and kick it long. We never let the opposition mark that kick.

Short is, in a way, a limited footballer. Defensively poor and not a great decision maker. I think Dyer'ere is onto something with Short being "undercoached" since the stand rule/personnel change. He needs to perhaps look at the shorter option, the diagnol/45 kick etc. We have never really adapted to the stand rule as well as other sides IMO.
You haven’t produced any data to dispute it Jazzy.

You need stats from shots on goal from outside 50

You haven’t produced any data to dispute it Jazzy.

You need stats from shots on goal from outside 50
Shortsteps has played 166 games for a whopping 35 goals. It is irrelevant. Most would be soft run past near fifty shots where sides just dont give a *smile* where he is. That in a nut shell is him running past for a very soft free shot at goal and kicking one every five weeks.
I just do not get the love for this bloke or the importance placed on this..

As a rebounder how many goals each week is he settin up? oh yeah 90% of the time bang it down the line to a contest.
With so called lethal footskills how many goals each week is he setting up.?Seriously.
Yes he played in two premierships and yes even i have to admit he had a role to play in both, but really, it is the easiest role in the comp.
You want to have something seriously outstanding to be given the role and he doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with what you are saying in your posts here.

What i don't get is why are we all so content on such a limited player.
What is wrong with vigorously searching for a far more rounded player.
How hard was it to find a good hbf. Just look at Dan Rioli.

Running Half Back for me is a line breaker with line breaking pace and a good motor to go with it.
Be damaging by foot, a player who can take on hard kicks and hit targets. Failing that Be calm under pressure and make good decisions with ball in hand and kicking within limitations.
Must be able to defend a man all backs must have this attribute imo.

What does Short actually bring to the table. A long penetrating kick that usually goes to an opponent or a 50/50 contest.
He has decent pace and a reasonable motor. That is it there has never been anything else. A total liability in too many other things.

If we all acknowledge that there is a hell of a lot of rebuilding to go thru, that it is unlikely we will be contemplating finals for a fair while.
Then its actually folly not to be trying options like Smith and Trezise even Banks in his place.
If for no other reason he won't be there when we start to challenge again yet alone his shortcomings.
He maybe could get a game for his onfield leadership when others are gone or retired. But he has no onfield leadership qualities.
But apart from that he's a pretty good player.

• Haha
Shortsteps has played 166 games for a whopping 35 goals. It is irrelevant. Most would be soft run past near fifty shots where sides just dont give a *smile* where he is. That in a nut shell is him running past for a very soft free shot at goal and kicking one every five weeks.
I just do not get the love for this bloke or the importance placed on this..

As a rebounder how many goals each week is he settin up? oh yeah 90% of the time bang it down the line to a contest.
With so called lethal footskills how many goals each week is he setting up.?Seriously.
Yes he played in two premierships and yes even i have to admit he had a role to play in both, but really, it is the easiest role in the comp.
You want to have something seriously outstanding to be given the role and he doesn't.
I’ve already given my opinion on Short and so have you. Why say it all again?

We all know you don’t like him. Give it a rest

Last edited:
Short’s kicking this year hasn’t been great and he needs to get better but I remember one instance recently where he was heavily criticised for waiting too long and then kicking to an opponent, against Adelaide I think.
If you look at the vision he was desperately trying to find someone to kick it to and when he did kick it the only option was to Kosy who was 5 metres behind his opponent. Our forwards sometimes just need to work harder.
He often waits far too long.if you wait too long your options are going to become even more limited as opposition floods back. I don't think he's great at quickly summing up options. I have seen many times good shorter quick-moving options that he just ignores. It almost seems like it is an instruction for him to kick long. If so, that's no a good game plan imo. And yes, we don't have the quality forward structure in place so sometimes you do get stuck making a quick decision, so you have to give some leeway at times as a supporter. Balta was the same, long kicker, kick long all the time but nowhere in particular. He has seemed to address that very well in the last couple of games and finding and executing shorter options. By far the biggest issue though is his total lack of defensive skill. You gotta go when it's your turn. His opponent hurts.

Yes two key forwards of the calibre of Reiwoldt and Lynch would make a massive difference to any team. Simply you need quality tall forwards in your team. We don't even have one. We can change our game plan for the short-term and we should but it doesn't resolve the underlying issue. I really don't think we have the tall quality future player we need currently on our list. Need to address this in the draft or trade period as Lynch's days of continuity of games is numbered.

Last edited: