Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

So you’re calling Jack Dyer Medallist a muppet premiership player an muppet. All from behind a keyboard? What courage. People like you cause mental health issues.
I think Muppett sums him up quite well despite his jdm and being lucky enough to play in a premiership.
Im not sure where it is written where we have to dote on all premiership players, maybe you can point me in that direction.
We have had a few average players get medallions or is that just not right?

I think you kid yourself if you think players pay one iota of attention to what is said on footy sites.
If they do maybe they should not be in that environment for their own good.

If you think im being unkind you should go visit some other web sites and see what they are saying about him.

Him being a jdm and premiership player, does not justify his horrible form and the horrible way he has played the game in recent seasons.
Its like hey mate you cant ever criticise him he won a jdm. Cmon get real.
If you wish to use these things to excuse him fine!!!! just don't expect others to buy into it, as it is nonsense.

What is that old saying ? oh yes your only as good as your last game!!! or in his case season or seasons. He has used up whatever brownie points he had.

How he is in the leadership group is beyond comprehension. I suppose being a good bloke makes you popular. Its the only thing i can think of why they put him there. He certainly doesnt lead from the front on a footy field.
Maybe thats not his fault but the clubs but hey in these things the club never makes mistakes.

I Would hope the club starts making some tough decisions and play kids like Smith and Trezise in his role. A bruise free role should be for the kids not your so called leaders who should lead from the front.

It would not be so bad if he actually did well what he is there to do. Alas too many supporters and the club it seems suffer from the same malaise.
They are allowing what happened way back in the past to dominate what is happening now. They have lost the ability to be critical of premiership favorites. Lets hope the new bloke can turn that around in his second year.

Last time i had a look this year will be year four since we last won a flag. How time fly's eh.
It is time to look forward and embrace what has to be done. Stop looking backwards at what was, that time has gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How people defend him lol been liability the answer move him forward. The answer is trade him.
It's interesting isn't it. Media talk over and over about other teams being interested and willing to trade and pay well for Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Dusty, even Graham. But there's been zero I have seen on Short. I think that may be a fair indication of where he stands. He's an accumulating receiver but just does no damage. We're stuck with him. Contracted to the end of 2027. He'll be 31yo.

I think Muppett sums him up quite well despite his jdm and being lucky enough to play in a premiership.
Im not sure where it is written where we have to dote on all premiership players, maybe you can point me in that direction.
We have had a few average players get medallions or is that just not right?

I think you kid yourself if you think players pay one iota of attention to what is said on footy sites.
If they do maybe they should not be in that environment for their own good.

If you think im being unkind you should go visit some other web sites and see what they are saying about him.

Him being a jdm and premiership player, does not justify his horrible form and the horrible way he has played the game in recent seasons.
Its like hey mate you cant ever criticise him he won a jdm. Cmon get real.
If you wish to use these things to excuse him fine!!!! just don't expect others to buy into it, as it is nonsense.

What is that old saying ? oh yes your only as good as your last game!!! or in his case season or seasons. He has used up whatever brownie points he had.

How he is in the leadership group is beyond comprehension. I suppose being a good bloke makes you popular. Its the only thing i can think of why they put him there. He certainly doesnt lead from the front on a footy field.
Maybe thats not his fault but the clubs but hey in these things the club never makes mistakes.

I Would hope the club starts making some tough decisions and play kids like Smith and Trezise in his role. A bruise free role should be for the kids not your so called leaders who should lead from the front.

It would not be so bad if he actually did well what he is there to do. Alas too many supporters and the club it seems suffer from the same malaise.
They are allowing what happened way back in the past to dominate what is happening now. They have lost the ability to be critical of premiership favorites. Lets hope the new bloke can turn that around in his second year.

Last time i had a look this year will be year four since we last won a flag. How time fly's eh.
It is time to look forward and embrace what has to be done. Stop looking backwards at what was, that time has gone.
So these other websites you refer to? Where and what quotes can you enlighten with?

It’s an interesting argument. Some suggesting that certain players can’t be traded because it would destroy the culture yet are happy to trade one of the most loved players within the team.

Personally I don’t care either way if we trade Shorty but it was his teammates that wanted him in the leadership group and only those truly close to the inner sanctum would know what effect (if any) trading him would have on the culture and mood of the club.

There are many aspects to any trade and we have to trust the people who make these decisions to do what is ultimately best for the club.

Culture versus performance and where is the tipping point between the two? I’m glad I don’t have to make that call

Reactions: 4 users
For all the cries of “premiership player”… “Jack Dyer Medallist” - your form lines are a bit out of date chaps. About 4 years out of date. Does everyone who plays in a premiership for us automatically have a job for life?

This bloke has straight up bludged for the past 2 seasons at least. At a time when he’s needed to lift his performances and efforts as a senior player. At a time of need for the club. He’s just swanned around playing bruise-free football, picking up a pay cheque.

Moving on players like him will be a real litmus test this off-season. Is our club willing to make a few of these “tough calls” in order to right the ship?
Well said 💯

Way too harsh on Shorty on this thread imo. He has played better in previous years for sure but it is nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out.
There are lots of different types of players who play for AFL teams and there needs to be. There are inside players and outside players, there are players who are receivers because AFL teams need receivers. Those types of players have to make themselves available again and again, they have to have good anticipation and reading of the play. They need stamina and work rate to do a lot of running.
Shorty is one of them.
In a poor team that sort of role is harder, for obvious reasons which is their team is not controlling the ball as much.
I have seen short live 6 or so times this year and to me the major issue is that he isn’t kicking as well as he was, not sure why. He was a dead eye *smile* from 50-60 for a few years and he seems to kick points now.
The Shorty baggers on here will disagree. It’s an opinion.

Reactions: 6 users
I have seen short live 6 or so times this year and to me the major issue is that he isn’t kicking as well as he was, not sure why. He was a dead eye *smile* from 50-60 for a few years and he seems to kick points now.
That's just not right Sin. I agree that the few previous pages are essentially abuse of a guy that won a JDM and has had very good patches of football, albeit when surrounded by elite footballers.

But his kicking has never been dead-eye from 50-60. Look at his goal kicking stats, 35.30. His accuracy is worse than George. The year he won the JDM he kicked 0.4 for the year.

Compare him to Kane Farrell, another back flanker who loves pinging at the goals like Short. He has kicked 45.29. Now there is an elite long kick.

Short is a long penetrating kick, he is quick and has a tank. But he is not an elite kick IMO.

Reactions: 6 users
(y)That's just not right Sin. I agree that the few previous pages are essentially abuse of a guy that won a JDM and has had very good patches of football, albeit when surrounded by elite footballers.

But his kicking has never been dead-eye from 50-60. Look at his goal kicking stats, 35.30. His accuracy is worse than George. The year he won the JDM he kicked 0.4 for the year.

Compare him to Kane Farrell, another back flanker who loves pinging at the goals like Short. He has kicked 45.29. Now there is an elite long kick.

Short is a long penetrating kick, he is quick and has a tank. But he is not an elite kick IMO.
Sorry Jazz but I said from 50-60 so you need the outside 50 stats. George only kicked over 50 once in his career which was the helicopter after halftime in the 2020 grannie

Google it, you’ll see a number of short pings from outside the arc for a goal.

Anyway, we agree on the rest

Way too harsh on Shorty on this thread imo. He has played better in previous years for sure but it is nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out.
There are lots of different types of players who play for AFL teams and there needs to be. There are inside players and outside players, there are players who are receivers because AFL teams need receivers. Those types of players have to make themselves available again and again, they have to have good anticipation and reading of the play. They need stamina and work rate to do a lot of running.
Shorty is one of them.
In a poor team that sort of role is harder, for obvious reasons which is their team is not controlling the ball as much.

My issue with Short is that he kicks to nowhere when he receives the ball at half back. Receiving the ball at half back is his role, his very reason for being in the team. Yet, the long kick out of defence all too often goes to a contest where the opposition overwhelmingly have the taller players. If he can be taught to look for better options then I'm fine with his role.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry Jazz but I said from 50-60 so you need the outside 50 stats. George only kicked over 50 once in his career which was the helicopter after halftime in the 2020 grannie

Google it, you’ll see a number of short pings from outside the arc for a goal.

Anyway, we agree on the rest
Sorry, but compare him to the similar role player. Farrell is a very similar player. But an elite kick. I would guess he has kicked more from outside 50 goals than Short. He is a longer and more accurate kick than Short. At a much better accuracy. Now there is an elite kick. I cannot recall seeing Farrell defend one on one but doubt he is any worse than Short.

Sorry, but compare him to the similar role player. Farrell is a very similar player. But an elite kick. I would guess he has kicked more from outside 50 goals than Short. He is a longer and more accurate kick than Short. At a much better accuracy. Now there is an elite kick. I cannot recall seeing Farrell defend one on one but doubt he is any worse than Short.
All I said was he was a dead eye *smile* from outside 50?

So is Farrell

My issue with Short is that he kicks to nowhere when he receives the ball at half back. Receiving the ball at half back is his role, his very reason for being in the team. Yet, the long kick out of defence all too often goes to a contest where the opposition overwhelmingly have the taller players. If he can be taught to look for better options then I'm fine with his role.

DS
In the past David we had better players to bring it to ground and better crumbers.

I also think that’s one of the issues we have as a team, we don’t create options for players to kick to.

Reactions: 2 users

DS
Spot on. As I’ve said before. Short is a long kick, not necessarily a good kick. He’s never really looked for the best option.

DS
One of the drills, every main training session, is that kick to the right position. There's a few players that are regularly pulled aside/told where to kick and also how. There was loads of "low and hard" instruction yesterday against players who kicked loopy high balls. Speed, workrate and offering an option in that drill is monitored pretty closely. Shorty aint a problem on the track. Which may indicate that at times (often) there's not enough work from others to present the "right/preferred" option.

Reactions: 3 users
Spot on. And it's a focus at training. Now gotta replicate it in the game.
Even the commentators are saying we don’t have the tall marking options for our constant down the line game plan.
If that is not our plan, many of our players aren’t following team rules atm.

Spot on. And it's a focus at training. Now gotta replicate it in the game.
Short’s kicking this year hasn’t been great and he needs to get better but I remember one instance recently where he was heavily criticised for waiting too long and then kicking to an opponent, against Adelaide I think.
If you look at the vision he was desperately trying to find someone to kick it to and when he did kick it the only option was to Kosy who was 5 metres behind his opponent. Our forwards sometimes just need to work harder.

Reactions: 2 users
Short’s kicking this year hasn’t been great and he needs to get better but I remember one instance recently where he was heavily criticised for waiting too long and then kicking to an opponent, against Adelaide I think.
If you look at the vision he was desperately trying to find someone to kick it to and when he did kick it the only option was to Kosy who was 5 metres behind his opponent. Our forwards sometimes just need to work harder.
Yeah, i dont think he panics, but struggles to find options. In part that is because we dont provide many, and in part because he cant hit the difficult 30-40mts passes the true elite kicks can.

and as you said in another post, his kicking was more effective when we were flying cos he was kicking long to Lynch or Riewoldt, or a pack with Castagna/Butler/DRioli and/or Bolton lurking, with Prestia and Lambert running through. The same kicks will now be turnovers as we are outmarked or outcrumbed.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, i dont think he panics, but struggles to find options. In part that is because we dont provide many, and in part because he cant hit the difficult 30-40mts passes the true elite kicks can.
I don't know if you were at the Hawthorn game but I felt we were well in it for a long period, we had plenty of opportunities and we were pretty good around the contest.
The big difference was when we got the ball we didn't hit the targets you refer to and the Hawks hit them time and time again.
That is enough for a 3-4 goal margin for half a game because we got hurt so badly on turnover.

DS
Could it be argued that a well-paid player in his 10th year in the league shouldn’t need to be taught much (or at all) at this stage?