Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Interesting idea, Olds. If we bring in a tallish role back like say Trezise to play #4 that frees Brown to play as a designated kicker, sagger, part-time mop. It could be that we have to develop Brown's defensive game and it's not viable to move him yet. (He's got work to do there.) But if we think we can get Brown right defensively 1v1 air and ground we should definitely look at this IMO. If it won't hurt his development.

Brown tested about 3.0/20m IIRC. But when he lets down (rare) he burns. I've been surprised. Short is pretty brisk. He uses his burst to get to position to receive. He's actually good at this. But Brown is equipped physically for the role.

The other bloke we might try here is Smith. He's not as advanced as Brown but has a future IMO.
Give Banks a go at it.

It was all he did at the Devils - run to receive and then deliver off half back. Every single game.

Give Banks a go at it.

It was all he did at the Devils - run to receive and then deliver off half back. Every single game.
I was just thinking last night that Banks is pretty much Short, but tall(er).

Eh?!

(Except no evidence Banks can kick left foot.)

Give Banks a go at it.

I was just thinking last night that Banks is pretty much Short, but tall(er).

Eh?!

(Except no evidence Banks can kick left foot.)
Great minds think alike

or fools never differ
I'm temporarily a Banks bear. He ran in the VFL two rounds back. That was good. Got a bit of confidence and lifted his work rate. He just doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. FWIW I think it's a belief thing. But one game is not enough. Was ok last round.

I'd be worried about Banks back in the ones at this stage. I think he needs baby steps, higher workrate then much higher workrate then greater workrate. Maybe I'm wrong about that and he will flourish if we give him the sagger role. But IMO he's got to learn when to defend and when to sag. He struggles with this atm. Get that right, get the belief then graft away in the ones if he can dominate VFL. And much higher workrate.

The other thing about Banks is that he is not brisk. Brown gaps him and Short has zip, actual burst. Pace won't do it for Banks. He has to get space with his judgement. It's tougher for him to find space. If he hasn't got a big break they will mow him down. And then we're back in confidence country. Furthermore I don't think that backline can take another hit to its pace. Slowish atm.

He'll probably be promoted soon and we'll find out.

Reactions: 1 users
We have few good players left. That’s the system. Yet some on here talking trading out Short after a bad year for all. Heard on Tiger whatever YouTube suggest we trade him for a second rounder. Former JDM premiership player out of form. Guess what? Short isn’t the only one. Some supporters who have bailed haven’t covered themselves in glory. Keyboard warriors.

I'm temporarily a Banks bear. He ran in the VFL two rounds back. That was good. Got a bit of confidence and lifted his work rate. He just doesn't work anywhere near hard enough. FWIW I think it's a belief thing. But one game is not enough. Was ok last round.

I'd be worried about Banks back in the ones at this stage. I think he needs baby steps, higher workrate then much higher workrate then greater workrate. Maybe I'm wrong about that and he will flourish if we give him the sagger role. But IMO he's got to learn when to defend and when to sag. He struggles with this atm. Get that right, get the belief then graft away in the ones if he can dominate VFL. And much higher workrate.

The other thing about Banks is that he is not brisk. Brown gaps him and Short has zip, actual burst. Pace won't do it for Banks. He has to get space with his judgement. It's tougher for him to find space. If he hasn't got a big break they will mow him down. And then we're back in confidence country. Furthermore I don't think that backline can take another hit to its pace. Slowish atm.

He'll probably be promoted soon and we'll find out.
That is correct. Banks lacks a yard.

I think Banks is in big trouble, actually. I'd afford him a chance for a few weeks in said role in the seniors - I mean we've given Dow an eternity to prove himself so why not try something with Banks ? - but otherwise, if he cant show some signs, then he's close to the edge.

Reactions: 1 user
Trezise has been used as a tagger last 2 rounds and indicated in an interview in our Coterie room at half time vs Hawks that he is being "developed" as a tagger.

Mate was there as well and has his last scan this week and if no stress fracture shows up he'll be back running next week. The Tap as well. Apparently they both got a spinal stress fracture within a week of each other.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
With the current state of the list, it makes sense to trade one of Short or Rioli. I'd whack both on the trade table and see what prices you get.

But you can't trade both. If Baker goes and Rioli asks for the Gold Coast move (and it feels like that happens) then you keep Short.

The real downside of losing Baker, Short and Rioli is that all have all been pretty durable. Short has started to show signs of wear and tear, maybe it's time to maximize trade value. It's rare to see players from leadership groups traded tho.

We have few good players left. That’s the system. Yet some on here talking trading out Short after a bad year for all. Heard on Tiger whatever YouTube suggest we trade him for a second rounder. Former JDM premiership player out of form. Guess what? Short isn’t the only one. Some supporters who have bailed haven’t covered themselves in glory. Keyboard warriors.
Just one bad year!!!!! Hmm.

With the current state of the list, it makes sense to trade one of Short or Rioli. I'd whack both on the trade table and see what prices you get.

But you can't trade both. If Baker goes and Rioli asks for the Gold Coast move (and it feels like that happens) then you keep Short.

The real downside of losing Baker, Short and Rioli have all been pretty durable. Short has started to show signs of wear and tear, maybe it's time to maximize trade value. It's rare to see players from leadership groups traded tho.
I said this before: Short yes. Rioli no.

We need to convince GC its Short they need, not Rioli.

"Look Hooch, you know that he's got far better hair. You know this, so stop stuffing around."

Reactions: 4 users

"Look Hooch, you know that he's got far better hair. You know this, so stop stuffing around."
Daniel does look like he is fighting a losing battle on the hair front. Go the Mojo shaved look. Makes you look faster.

I think Banks is in big trouble, actually. I'd afford him a chance for a few weeks in said role in the seniors - I mean we've given Dow an eternity to prove himself so why not try something with Banks ? - but otherwise, if he cant show some signs, then he's close to the edge.
Yeah, Banks I got as bust or project. At Magoos level the focus is on his workrate. And his workrate. Belief/buy-in/workrate with him for now. I think we'll promote him again soon.

Dogwick knows Rioli is the better player, that's why he wants him. But he's contracted for three more years so Dogwick can GAGF, take Short and like it. (Or lump it, WGAF)

Reactions: 2 users
You never let a Rioli go. Ever
Keep them for breeding once they’ve finished racing.

Short-Step the obvious trade to Butthead Town.
I’m huge on Smith. Despite his horrendous debut treatment, the coaches absolutely love him.
A big mover in 2025.

Reactions: 5 users
Just one bad year!!!!! Hmm.
Premiership player yes.

In fact, 2020 was probably the last time he put his body on the line! Seems like he’s been jogging around snagging cheap, meaningless stats ever since.

Absolutely not the type of player who is going to roll the sleeves up and help us rebuild - we take whatever we can get for him.

Rioli? Only for a king’s ransom.

Well here is an idea for all the Short haters.Play him half forward in a punting role.Reckon he would kick four and who knows we might pass 80 points for the game.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Banks has no afl traits hes slow, doesn't have an elite tank, doesn't win his own ball and his kicking seems pretty average to just above average by my eye (that was supposed to be his elite trait).

Banks has no afl traits hes slow, doesn't have an elite tank, doesn't win his own ball and his kicking seems pretty average to just above average by my eye (that was supposed to be his elite trait).
He’s actually an ok kick Webjet - when he has time.

And therein lies the problem.