Welcome Jacob Blight | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Jacob Blight

Oh we can't play him he is a defender and we are happy with our key defenders.

Its this thinking that really has me worried about those in charge and Yze. and the way the supporters are on train tracks with their thinking.
Given our situation i would have thought for most of the year its been an opportunity to try players in different roles and far too often it has not happened.

We cannot take a mark in the forward half to save ourselves and here we have had a bloke clunking them left right and centre ever since we drafted him but wait we just cant fit him into a forward role. Ryan and and Kossie are killing it.

Really does seem that people behind the scenes are picking the side to help justify decisions that have been made.
Is Yze his own man? If he is not then he had damn well better hurry up and become his own man or he will be out the door before he knows it.

If he is responsible for a lot of the constant selections and lack of flexability then we should all be worried.

Reactions: 4 users
Miller's probably buggered, he's only ever played 10-12 games a year, playing 20 this year is way more than he's used to.
That said, he's been good for a large part of the year, and the improvement with confidence has been good.
I'd probably spell him for the last couple, and give Blight anther look, as long as it didn't stuff up his VFL finals qualification.
Agree. Looks that way to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Not bagging Blight at all, but a lot of those marks were basically kicked straight at him. Played well, just sayin.

Miller needs a rest.
Miller is actually very athletic. He does a lot of good work & is a very neat kick. Certainly better than Balta or Young. Just not so great aerially.
Agree he looks a bit tired. Mind you I though our defence was all over the shop on the weekend, not just Ben.

Reactions: 7 users
Pace at AFL level my main concern. Looks great in the twos though.
Wouldn't play him on a Cameron type but definitely a Tex type forward

I reckon he might find a yard of pace if he trims down a bit.

I have seen him up close in the VFL and he is a big big boy

Reactions: 1 users
Is a hesitator a thing. Thats how i would describe Miller on far too many occasions right thru out the year.

Won't committ to actually leaving his man and go impact a contest. By the time he decides he should go he is often caught in no mans land or his own opponent has got out by himself.

He looks great when he attacks a contest but looks lost at times we he can't do this.
Still needs to work on the one v one side of his game as well.

Two games to go a preseason and a reset.

Watching Blight in the VFL recently he looks to have that elite pace only a Ben Holland had , in saying that in his AFL games his pace looked ok , hopefully he just has a bit of a loper type gate and has adequate pace as he does appear to have good footy IQ , great hands and reasonable skills .

I’d be looking at dropping a couple of kegs , lightning up that frame and working a ton on the agility and pace of the mark , which no doubt will come with anyone’s first AFL
Pre season.

Im still a bit jury out , however I think he’ll be better then handy

Reactions: 2 users
Watching Blight in the VFL recently he looks to have that elite pace only a Ben Holland had , in saying that in his AFL games his pace looked ok , hopefully he just has a bit of a loper type gate and has adequate pace as he does appear to have good footy IQ , great hands and reasonable skills .

I’d be looking at dropping a couple of kegs , lightning up that frame and working a ton on the agility and pace of the mark , which no doubt will come with anyone’s first AFL
Pre season.

Im still a bit jury out , however I think he’ll be better then handy
Gotta be a better option as a key Forward than what Samson Ryan is atm.
Then there is also the option of playing him kpd and continue the Balta experiment forward. Either way i think there has been a spot for him in the team for weeks on end.

Reactions: 2 users
To early for me to be looking at moving him up the other end of the ground .

All been well I’d lock Balta in down back at the start of this pre season and then it’s up to all the other KDP to fight it out for the other key spot , as not one of them is a lock to be of the standard needed for us to win a flag

Not bagging Blight at all, but a lot of those marks were basically kicked straight at him. Played well, just sayin.
Well that tells me he reads it pretty well , a defender that consistently gets 20p plus has genuine ability , pretty rare for big fellas

To early for me to be looking at moving him up the other end of the ground .

All been well I’d lock Balta in down back at the start of this pre season and then it’s up to all the other KDP to fight it out for the other key spot , as not one of them is a lock to be of the standard needed for us to win a flag
Disagree i think he has done more than enough to be getting games in fact that is an understatement.

I actually thought his two senior games were good despite copping a very poor match up on a much faster more agile Treacy game two.

Our Tall forwards have been abysmal and if it means games at the level then im all for seeing Blight play forward. Failing that back and Balta plays forward.
Who cares where either of them play? It is all about playing newbies and getting a damn good look at them especially newbies who are dominating their role in the magoos. What the hell have we got to lose with two games to go
Is it really going to kill us to play Blight instead of stink it up can't mark can't find the ball Ryan.

I think a fit and healthy Josh Gibcus says hello.
Not much we can do about the injuries, When fit everything about this kid said out and out A grade key defender.
Seems to be the forgotten man on the list.

I have held the belief for a little while now Balta Gibcus kpd and get a kid like Bauer into the old Grimes role. Trezise or Brown can do the Broad role flossy is flossy trezise again, and we need a kid like Smith to take big strides next year to replace possibly Dan Rioli if he goes..
Running off hb Banks could also be a possibility.

I think the back half is the least of our worries.

Miller is actually very athletic. He does a lot of good work & is a very neat kick. Certainly better than Balta or Young. Just not so great aerially.
Agree he looks a bit tired. Mind you I though our defence was all over the shop on the weekend, not just Ben.
I would say play him up forward but thats not how Yze works.

I would say play him up forward but thats not how Yze works.
Beg to differ. Has tried Balta back and forward and Kosi and Brown and Bauer has played back and forward this year in VFL. I don't like it personally for the younger guys trialling it first time in the 1s. Try them at VFL first to see if they have it. Playing key forward is a completely different proposition to playing back. Much tougher.

• Love
Beg to differ. Has tried Balta back and forward and Kosi and Brown and Bauer has played back and forward this year in VFL. I don't like it personally for the younger guys trialling it first time in the 1s. Try them at VFL first to see if they have it. Playing key forward is a completely different proposition to playing back. Much tougher.
Then simply continue the Balta experiment as a forward and Get a few needed afl games into Blight in defense. Again i ask what is there to lose.
I see nothing but positives in getting games into kids like Blight well hardly a kid at age 22 and coming out of a state league.
I would argue this kid has earnt his spot back into the team. No gifting of games here.
Surely where we are at this is what its all about for the remainder of the year.

In all honesty Blight or Ryan as a tall forward this week sheesh i know which one id be going with. After Millers last three or four games you could make a case to drop him as well.

Problem now is now Balta is locked in down back, I don’t think it’s fair to flick him forward for two weeks.

So how do you fit Miller, Balta and Blight down back?