Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Week 1 Finals: the bowl splatter games.

‘Not following footy right if you disagree’: Host’s bold claim Blues ‘have to be flag favourites’​

AFL journalist and radio host Sam McClure has boldly claimed Carlton “have to be premiership favourites” and if anyone disagrees “they’re not following the game right”.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
The SCG's not tiny anymore. They increased the playing dimensions when they built the new stands.

"Healy revealed that the length of the Gabba (78 metres) and SCG (77.75) are only marginally shorter in length to the MCG (80) from the goal line to the centre circle."

No way.
They were kicking it from inside the centre square and it was easily making the goal square. Can't do that at the G unless your Ablett snr or Sav
The 50 at the scg is 46-47m at best

What's next Kardina park as wide as Subiaco?

They lie

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Voss gets by on aura and playing record.

The harsh reality is that he is dumb.

Won’t last too much longer at Princes Park I feel. Year after next.
No side wins finals with too many players missing or unfit

Look at the Swans - Rampe/Papley out and they struggled. The comp is so even, no side can afford to be missing key players.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to have a whinge for a moment, why do so many commentators give Carlton an excuse of injuries but when we have had the same injury problem for longer than they did, it seems to be forgotten?
Actually I probably know the answer

Reactions: 7 users

‘Not following footy right if you disagree’: Host’s bold claim Blues ‘have to be flag favourites’​

AFL journalist and radio host Sam McClure has boldly claimed Carlton “have to be premiership favourites” and if anyone disagrees “they’re not following the game right”.

Sam Noclure suffering from premature anticipation again

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Brisbane do not have one player you'd back to kick the goal when they need it. A whole team of Travis Boaks.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Just to have a whinge for a moment, why do so many commentators give Carlton an excuse of injuries but when we have had the same injury problem for longer than they did, it seems to be forgotten?
Actually I probably know the answer
Because Carlton actually performed incredibly well given their injuries. They were second only to us, and we had the worst season in 60 years, while Carlton made finals.

Having said that, I said it after round 1 with Carlton. There was only one player who they needed fit, and that's Curnow.

His injury is worth 10. Given Dekoning is the next lynchpin, it was having them injured that finished them.

Also, a note on 'good story great guy Docherty'. Rance is a good parallel. In 2019 he also tore his ACL in the Carlton Richmond opener. He was training the house down coming into finals, and could have played. But he said it would be unfair on a player who'd got us there to take their spot. Also said that it's a big risk hoping to come in in form. Chose to do the team thing.

We won the flag.

And, with all due respect to Docherty's ability, he's no Alex Rance.

Reactions: 10 users
Cartoon have an over-rated list. Curnow and McKay are too soft for starters.

Best thing now is I don't have to hear Wanker Whateley crap on about this loverboy team of his.

Reactions: 1 users
Because Carlton actually performed incredibly well given their injuries. They were second only to us, and we had the worst season in 60 years, while Carlton made finals.

Having said that, I said it after round 1 with Carlton. There was only one player who they needed fit, and that's Curnow.

His injury is worth 10. Given Dekoning is the next lynchpin, it was having them injured that finished them.

Also, a note on 'good story great guy Docherty'. Rance is a good parallel. In 2019 he also tore his ACL in the Carlton Richmond opener. He was training the house down coming into finals, and could have played. But he said it would be unfair on a player who'd got us there to take their spot. Also said that it's a big risk hoping to come in in form. Chose to do the team thing.

We won the flag.

And, with all due respect to Docherty's ability, he's no Alex Rance.
Carlton won 2 of their last 9 games, they didn’t perform incredibly well when they got injuries imo. The two they won were against the Eagles and the kangas.

I’m not equivalising their list to ours, they have a better list, however if it is said Carlton’s drop off was due to injuries then at least part of the reason we won two games was due to ours. That’s all I am saying.

Reactions: 2 users
Carlton won 2 of their last 9 games, they didn’t perform incredibly well when they got injuries imo. The two they won were against the Eagles and the kangas.

I’m not equivalising their list to ours, they have a better list, however if it is said Carlton’s drop off was due to injuries then at least part of the reason we won two games was due to ours. That’s all I am saying.
Yeah, that's fair.

But that's the reason for the difference in commentary.

The SCG's not tiny anymore. They increased the playing dimensions when they built the new stands.

"Healy revealed that the length of the Gabba (78 metres) and SCG (77.75) are only marginally shorter in length to the MCG (80) from the goal line to the centre circle."

A few years ago I looked at this and the SCG was 151.5m in length and the MCG 160. So, not much difference really, maybe they have extended the SCG a few metres but it was never all that much shorter.

Subiaco at 175m and Kardinia Park at 170m were/are a fair bit longer, VFL Park at 180m was always ridiculous.

DS