Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

We are definitely umpired differently and more unfavourably. There was (another) HTB call against us in the last quarter and I swear the umpire was lightning quick to blow the whistle and call HTB. He was so quick that I doubt the tackle had even been completed before he called it. Meanwhile we usually have to wait an eternity for even one HTB whistle when it goes our way.

Reactions: 8 users
Actually, think it's a pretty good response, the club agrees with Brian. It's a pretty big admission too be honest.
Yeah it's a good response to us members, but have they actually contacted the league?? It's been on for years.

Hopefully with Dillon (a Tiger supporter) things can get better for us (and other teams) over the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user
The Melksham one is not a free. Ever. Not the same at all as the Taranto one. The issue with the Taranto one is he lifts the ball up a fraction before Petracca arrives. I think the umpire deems that as prior. But Petracca grabs the ball as he tackles TT preventing any opportunity to get rid of it. Taranto should have just turned side-on and barrelled into the tackler like lots of players do and force another stoppage.
I agree with all that and understand the Tarranto one is holding the ball but only because the ump waited longer to blow the whistle.The ball is held in and he isnt going to get it out with Tracs holding it in, yet 10 seconds later Melksham gets adjudicated differently.

This wasnt the best example of the timing inconsistency but i only included it because it was literally the next play.

There are so many examples of this each game and all it does is make things clear as mud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
We are definitely umpired differently and more unfavourably. There was (another) HTB call against us in the last quarter and I swear the umpire was lightning quick to blow the whistle and call HTB. He was so quick that I doubt the tackle had even been completed before he called it. Meanwhile we usually have to wait an eternity for even one HTB whistle when it goes our way.
Its been happening for 3 yrs now.
We hold the players too long apprantly when they should be pinged but counter punched by 1 second tackles that are immidatly paid HTB.
There's a bias. Curnow gets free kicks I've never seen a forward Richmond get.
Collingwood players dive on and drag the ball back, but never pinged.
Gawn many times grabs the ball out of the ruck and dosent dispose of the ball correctly but never pinged.
High tackles are never paid to baker.
The umpires are driving alot away from the game

Reactions: 2 users
These are the ones that do us a disservice and make other supporters dismiss us as one eyed whingers like the Hopper 50 or the Vlastuin play on last week

They are not the same at all Taranto takes a couple of steps and then makes no effort to get rid of the ball its holding the ball for sure or if you are arguing maybe not quite prior but it’s hardly a shocker

The Melbourne bloke is being tackled as he takes the ball and definitely has no prior without question not holding the ball

Same as the Broad one if he was ginnivan doing that we would go off if it wasnt paid holding the ball and rightly so

If we continue to argue stupid stuff that is obviously not incorrect just because we dont like it then noone will ever pay attention to the actual real issues like the treatment of our forwards

We are shooting ourselves in the foot
As i said before its a timing thing so noone is having a whinge and noone is saying they are the same. Im not too concerned with the free but only if it is consistent and please dont tell me its consistent.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wish there was some sort of consistency. For example the Taranto HTB and Melksham does the exact same thing 10 seconds later and the umpire treats it differently. They pick and choose when to blow the whistle and hence create a mess of inconsistency.

Make an attempt to get rid of it.

Reactions: 1 user
I just wish there was some sort of consistency. For example the Taranto HTB and Melksham does the exact same thing 10 seconds later and the umpire treats it differently. They pick and choose when to blow the whistle and hence create a mess of inconsistency.

I'm as anti umpire as the next guy but I don't see those 2 examples as the same and I feel dirty saying this but I agree with both decisions.

I'm as anti umpire as the next guy but I don't see those 2 examples as the same and I feel dirty saying this but I agree with both decisions.
Its my fault for not being clear, I am not trying to say the two incidents (and if i did i was not meaning to) are the same but questioning the umpires discretion as to when they blow the whistle. I get things wrong pretty often and have no issue saying that.

As i said before its a timing thing so noone is having a whinge and noone is saying they are the same. Im not too concerned with the free but only if it is consistent and please dont tell me its consistent.

Youre asking them to be consistent on two completely unconnected decisions that are both correct

Youve actually made a pro umpiring video

The one with Pickett is the stuff we need to be highlighting

Youre asking them to be consistent on two completely unconnected decisions that are both correct

Youve actually made a pro umpiring video

The one with Pickett is the stuff we need to be highlighting
Nah I am just asking where the discretion in time given comes from in the rules. But it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong and it wont be the last.

what about the missed free kick in the last quarter, when melbourne's pickett fell the Richmond player after the kick.

That's all fine, but what do you say about the last 8 years of statistics??

Personally I think it has something to do with the colour of our jumper
We have some of the worst free kick differential players in the comp in nankervis Pickett and Bolton. When they don’t play the stats even up.

Nah I am just asking where the discretion in time given comes from in the rules. But it wouldnt be the first time I was wrong and it wont be the last.

In that case you are talking about prior opportunity the time you have with the ball before you get tackled

The difference there is Taranto had two steps prior and the Melbourne bloke had no prior

With prior you have to dispose of the ball when you get tackled without prior you dont

Big Rich can explain prior better than me

3 points down at 3/4 time

4th quarter Dees get 8 unanswered frees, 4 go i50.

Richmond register 1 free in the 4th quarter, in the middle, with 5 seconds to go, 30 down.

If im giving 3-2-1 votes for melbourne;

3 - dylan grimes
2- green maggots
1- max gawn

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The commentators said that Broad raised his arm slightly to ward off the tackle, and that’s deemed prior opportunity, however they also agreed that the tackle was high and should have been paid to Broad as high contact, but apparently not one of the FOUR umpires could see that.
It’s also ridiculous to think that the raising of the arm is prior opportunity. It is totally instinctive to raise your arm to protect yourself. These unrealistic indicators the umpires use and in fact the MRP view these actions is just a joke.