Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Didn't think we got shafted, but standard as usual was generally poor. Couldn't help but notice our 50 was 35 but theirs was 70, but apart from that just standard crap umpiring rather than any bias.

WHat about the one in the first quarter when Barrass flew way too early on Jack and was plummeting head-first to the ground when the ball hit his flailing boot? Not an unrealistic attempt, apparently.
I’m so used to decisions going against us I was expecting a tunnelling call on Jack.

Reactions: 2 users
The deliberate oob rule either needs to be removed or they go to last touch out is a free. That takes the grey area out of it for the umpires.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You could see the Umps grimace when we hit the front with 2 mins left on the clock. They knew that had to reign in the whistle a bit because if they kept blowing the way they were and caused us to lose, the heat would have been on them this week in media land.

But I expect they are already plotting their revenge,

Some of the calls were disgraceful and even the commentators commented on that. I wonder why Jack gets absolutely no protection from the umps even when blatantly fouled in front of an ump

Reactions: 5 users
Some of the calls were disgraceful and even the commentators commented on that. I wonder why Jack gets absolutely no protection from the umps even when blatantly fouled in front of an ump
In all seriousness it's not that hard to understand. Jack has been known to milk a free or 15 and when he does it's front and centre in the media.

An umpire wouldn't want to risk being fooled by Jack in the dying minutes of a tight match. Much less damage to their ego if they just don't pay him anything.

The deliberate oob rule either needs to be removed or they go to last touch out is a free. That takes they grey area out of it for the umpires.
This needs to be the focus of improving umpiring. Reduce the "interpretations" to binary and remove rules that serve no purpose such as standing. There needs to be a focus on fundamentals. Reduce the threshold for holding the ball like they said they would last year. It's atrocious how long they can hold the ball for then throw it out.

Reactions: 10 users
In all seriousness it's not that hard to understand. Jack has been known to milk a free or 15 and when he does it's front and centre in the media.

An umpire wouldn't want to risk being fooled by Jack in the dying minutes of a tight match. Much less damage to their ego if they just don't pay him anything.
I reckon you are right on that. He is his own worst enemy but dome of the calls missed were disgraceful

Was listening 3AW on the way home and Leigh Mathews saw nothing wrong with the rule. The intent is for players to keep the ball in. I disagree with his view because you cannot make a decision based what’s in the players mind. It’s a farce.

but dome of the calls missed were disgraceful
Yeah. A couple there were complete jokes and even on the telecast not sure who it was that said at least twice "that's a free kick 10 times out of 10"

Reactions: 1 user
It's atrocious how long they can hold the ball for then throw it out.

They've been trialing the change to blow it up quicker when a player holds it. So far it's working on Richmond. Next year they'll introduce it for another 3 or 4 teams as part of the extended trial.

• Haha