Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

watched the replay. We already know it of course, but the hair trigger to pay frees against Dusty v the dragging the chain late-whistle reluctance to pay one to him really stood out. I know its counter productive, but I can't help but getting a feeling of warmth and satisfaction when he gives the ump a closed-mouth full-hearted stare-of-contempt. Did a couple of doozies last week.

Also on the umps, was it just me or were there a lot of very late whistles last round? Across all games I mean.

Reactions: 1 user
watched the replay. We already know it of course, but the hair trigger to pay frees against Dusty v the dragging the chain late-whistle reluctance to pay one to him really stood out. I know its counter productive, but I can't help but getting a feeling of warmth and satisfaction when he gives the ump a closed-mouth full-hearted stare-of-contempt. Did a couple of doozies last week.

Also on the umps, was it just me or were there a lot of very late whistles last round? Across all games I mean.
Agree, even Bakes shakes the head a few times. Flogs had some brain fades this weekend with many frees missed.

Really good discussion with a solid footy follower the other night whilst watching the doggies do random things…. We both agreed that all 4 umpires had done is introduced 4 different interpretations and bias to every game… you will never get the “if they pay it then, they’ll do the same later”… because there are now more people making the decision across different zones… yes umpiring may have looked better in the past as there was physically less interpretation in the ground… old days was one bloke, then 2, now 4… it’s never going to make sense in that respect

Reactions: 11 users
Dumbest decision was that HTB to Broad in the 3rd quarter when tackled by 2 WC players.

Reactions: 2 users
The worse one was that squib Darling running full pelt into Balta in front on contact not even looking at the ball and its play on. FMD woeful.

Frees WC 15 Us 12 , in the west , big vocal crowd

thats a huge result for us , was a time when that would have been 20 to 5 and a whole bunch of stuff not paid

did see some stats once showing for and against locals V vistors at perth adelaide, melb , sydney , brisbane
Perth was the worst by a stretch
very one sided vocal crowds do sway umpires

I remember one time , pre 2017 , against West Coke , we were getting canned by the umps - Cotch deep in defense kicks to Dusty on the 50mtr , "play on, not 15 "
it was a 40mtr kick , not going sideways or back wards
that wouldn't appear in the stats sheet

Reactions: 1 users
Really good discussion with a solid footy follower the other night whilst watching the doggies do random things…. We both agreed that all 4 umpires had done is introduced 4 different interpretations and bias to every game… you will never get the “if they pay it then, they’ll do the same later”… because there are now more people making the decision across different zones… yes umpiring may have looked better in the past as there was physically less interpretation in the ground… old days was one bloke, then 2, now 4… it’s never going to make sense in that respect
The *wit brothers
Dim wit, half wit, *smile* wit, nit wit

• Haha
It's the best I can ever remember us getting umpired vs West Coast ever over there.

We were up like 10-5 at one stage. I didn't see much of the second half and sounds like it got squared up and a little more.

Although the overall umpiring was generally ok, and we certainly didn’t get the usual 15 free kick differential reaming that we normally get, that HTB on Broad proved once again how useless some of them still are.

But then you could look at the Witherden interference after the Ralphsmith mark in the last quarter (as they showed on ‘On The Couch’) and say they are ….just simply incompetent. :rolleyes:

1689586919928.jpeg

Last edited:
Although the overall umpiring was generally ok, and we certainly didn’t get the usual 15 free kick differential reaming that we normally get, that HTB on Broad proved once again how useless some of them still are.

But then you could look at the Witherden interference after the Ralphsmith mark in the last quarter (as they showed on ‘On The Couch’) and say they are just simply incompetent. :rolleyes:

View attachment 19958
Cheating arse holes were all over Funky earlier in the game when he was actually within a metre of the Wet Coke player and ran past to try and get out of the protected zone. Then they turn around half an hour later and they've all forgotten what the rule is.
Pointless wasting time, energy and *smile* loads of money having rules and umpires if the bastards are only going to adjudicate the rules some of the time. Might as well revert back to the honesty and integrity of captains call.

Reactions: 3 users
Cheating arse holes were all over Funky earlier in the game when he was actually within a metre of the Wet Coke player and ran past to try and get out of the protected zone. Then they turn around half an hour later and they've all forgotten what the rule is.
Pointless wasting time, energy and *smile* loads of money having rules and umpires if the bastards are only going to adjudicate the rules some of the time. Might as well revert back to the honesty and integrity of captains call.

Yep, that was a shocker, there's no way Miller could have done anything else.

I'm afraid the incompetence is now ingrained.

Yep, that was a shocker, there's no way Miller could have done anything else.

I'm afraid the incompetence is now ingrained.

Could have teleported himself or got Scotty to beam him to full forward. Pathetic effort by miller not to avail himself of these options.

• Haha

how would we know,

if an umpire sat up in bed

and blew their whistle at 2 in the morning,

following a match?

WHat about the one in the first quarter when Barrass flew way too early on Jack and was plummeting head-first to the ground when the ball hit his flailing boot? Not an unrealistic attempt, apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users