Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The rule isnt the problem, if a player kicks, punches or knocks the ball away after it goes out on the full it should be 50. The interpretation in this case was rubbish.

The thing with this one, he actually tried to control the ball. It may have gone further away had it not done that, which is the most ironic part of it.

Reactions: 1 users
You can kick it into the second deck of the stands and it ain't 50, just ask Sydney.

DS
Of course it's fifty as it says in the rule book. Not much can be done about umpire incompetence, especially when the Honchos at HQ do everything possible to deflect and protect the maggots from their incompetence.

I don’t care whether you call it crap umpiring again or a crap rule or both, but here’s a classic example of the *smile* that’s being thrown up with the Stand Rule. I got a beautiful view of it directly down the line from my seat on the wing yesterday and called it out at the time.

That’s Ben Miller at the bottom of the screen with his hands in the air (dissent!) because Liam Duggan has moved a mile off his line and kicked the ball to some other WCE spud and the umpire hasn’t called play on. Miller is corkscrewed.

It’s so bad that not only has Duggan moved off line and the umpire hasn’t called it, but the kick has almost reached his team mate just off the square and the umpire STILL hasn’t called play on.

Whole thing is an indictment on the game (unfair) and also the umpires because they can’t enforce it properly (competence).

1683457467326.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 17 users
I don’t care whether you call it crap umpiring again or a crap rule or both, but here’s a classic example of the *smile* that’s being thrown up with the Stand Rule. I got a beautiful view of it directly down the line from my seat on the wing yesterday and called it out at the time.

That’s Ben Miller at the bottom of the screen with his hands in the air (dissent!) because Liam Duggan has moved a mile off his line and kicked the ball to some other WCE spud and the umpire hasn’t called play on. Miller is corkscrewed.

It’s so bad that not only has Duggan moved off line and the umpire hasn’t called it, but the kick has almost reached his team mate just off the square and the umpire STILL hasn’t called play on.

Whole thing is an indictment on the game (unfair) and also the umpires because they can’t enforce it properly (competence).

View attachment 19141
It is an indictment. And it throws up a lot of absurdities that combined with the inconsistency results in a shitshow. But this drives me mental, logically, if you call stand, you have to also put their player on their line, or call play on. None of it makes any sense, it goes against multiple fundamentals of the game, the powers that be don't care, and on top of that, it looks horrible.

Reactions: 12 users
I reckon our players are the only ones pointing to the ground everytime we cop STAND just to show the flog we've heard it. Haven't seen any other oppo player do it.

It is an indictment. And it throws up a lot of absurdities that combined with the inconsistency results in a shitshow. But this drives me mental, logically, if you call stand, you have to also put their player on their line, or call play on. None of it makes any sense, it goes against multiple fundamentals of the game, the powers that be don't care, and on top of that, it looks horrible.
Yup.

And because it’s such a regular blight, any moment now, you just know one of our players is gonna get pinged 50m for dissent for yelling at the umpire to call play on or to line the guy up properly. It may have already happened. Someone can correct me. I’m just so over it I’ve been trying to block it out much of the time.

Complete blight on the game.

Reactions: 5 users
Heard Matthew Richardson on the latest Talking Tigers say/joke that the stand rule was brought in to stop us :eek:

• Wow
I’ve said it a few times this season but the umpiring in our games hasn’t been too bad, yes they’ll never be perfect but far better than seasons gone.

Of course it wouldn’t be too bad for Collingwood, 24-10 v Swans, that’d be nice.

I've been trying my darndest to find an AFL sanctioned release about some handball interpretation change, specifically about if the interporetation changed to allow the holding hand to move. In this look I did come across this video regarding 2021 rule changes.

Have a look and listen at this *smile*.

This was Hocking being interviewed by AFL mouthpiece Barrett regarding the rule changes introduced for 2021. Amongst them the dreaded stand rule. Ironic the example they showed as to why they were changing it was a tigers player on the mark!!

What fascinates me is the explanation of the operation of the stand rule. Goes from 2.10 to 4.20.

Listen to Shockings explanation in detail at 3.25.

"Definitely there'll be a there'll be a ahh probably a metreage, a total of a metre. Um and so it'll be a step either side of where its been pointed out where the mark is. "

So on the eve of the season this clown was saying we are introducing a stand rule that is sort of a stand rule with some tolerances, those tolerances being measured in "meterage" - whatever the *smile* that is a measure of. The bloke in charge could not even explain it. How comprehensive was the process?

This completely flies in the face of a well known umps massesuse explanation of how consultative and well explained and trialled this stand rule introduction was. That it was trielled extensively and all clubs were aware of its operation.

FFS even in a scripted and rehearsed AFL released video the clown couldn't even explain clearly how it would operate. And it never operated that way, there was no tolerance.

I can only surmise that the rule was never well thought out nor well trialled. How else could you have the guy who introduced it not be able to explain it simply and confidently in a taped interview?

Wankers

• Angry
Reactions: 14 users
I've been trying my darndest to find an AFL sanctioned release about some handball interpretation change, specifically about if the interporetation changed to allow the holding hand to move. In this look I did come across this video regarding 2021 rule changes.

Have a look and listen at this *smile*.

This was Hocking being interviewed by AFL mouthpiece Barrett regarding the rule changes introduced for 2021. Amongst them the dreaded stand rule. Ironic the example they showed as to why they were changing it was a tigers player on the mark!!

What fascinates me is the explanation of the operation of the stand rule. Goes from 2.10 to 4.20.

Listen to Shockings explanation in detail at 3.25.

"Definitely there'll be a there'll be a ahh probably a metreage, a total of a metre. Um and so it'll be a step either side of where its been pointed out where the mark is. "

So on the eve of the season this clown was saying we are introducing a stand rule that is sort of a stand rule with some tolerances, those tolerances being measured in "meterage" - whatever the *smile* that is a measure of. The bloke in charge could not even explain it. How comprehensive was the process?

This completely flies in the face of a well known umps massesuse explanation of how consultative and well explained and trialled this stand rule introduction was. That it was trielled extensively and all clubs were aware of its operation.

FFS even in a scripted and rehearsed AFL released video the clown couldn't even explain clearly how it would operate. And it never operated that way, there was no tolerance.

I can only surmise that the rule was never well thought out nor well trialled. How else could you have the guy who introduced it not be able to explain it simply and confidently in a taped interview?

Wankers
Interest he says an allowance of a metre either side but come season start (and onwards) there was zero tolerance of movement on the mark.

Reactions: 1 user
the STAND RULE by the CLOWN TOOL

such a legacy of innovation to enable progressive footballing prowess

Reactions: 3 users
Interest he says an allowance of a metre either side but come season start (and onwards) there was zero tolerance of movement on the mark.
A sure indicator they had no real trial form nor idea of how to actually operate it?

I'd love to know the actual games it was trialled in. And the actual feedback from those games. Because surely the AFL would have minutes of committee meetings discussing such a major rule change in detail. Surely it wasn't just a thought bubble that became a rule?

This video shows a guy with no idea about the actual operation of it.

A sure indicator they had no real trial form nor idea of how to actually operate it?

I'd love to know the actual games it was trialled in. And the actual feedback from those games. Because surely the AFL would have minutes of committee meetings discussing such a major rule change in detail. Surely it wasn't just a thought bubble that became a rule?

This video shows a guy with no idea about the actual operation of it.
It was probably trialed in a Geelong intraclub.

Reactions: 2 users

The video (that you have just caught up with despite it being mentioned on here many times) was released on November 17, 2020, not 'the eve of the season' you poor, sad, nuff-nuff. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You are just confirming what I said, the rule is being publicly discussed in November, after the clubs were told about it and a trial game held during the 2020 season, and then with the entire 2021 preseason to use it in scratchies.

Seriously, it's no wonder you can't keep up. Sometimes the water is a bit deep to get in without floaties on.

Now go and pop out your stocking, it's likely Christmas Eve at your place.

• Haha
every free or mark should be like lining the kicker up for a set shot at goal. The kicker the man in the mark and centre of goals should be aligned.

out on the wings the guy with ball can start anywhere 20 m either side of that line.

Thats right they dont care, as long as the kicker gets off an easy disposal to enhance the chances of scoring its all good according to those bozos

The thing with this one, he actually tried to control the ball. It may have gone further away had it not done that, which is the most ironic part of it.
Yes, some of the interpretations of some rules (or maybe more to the point - some of the post explanations of the interpretations) can be a bit frustrating.
Take intent vs black and white reading of a rule.
Here, the black and white reading, I guess you could make the 50 call if you were a zealot. But his intent clearly wasn’t to kick it ”away”. He tried to just stop it. Had he run at pace without trying to act otherwise and it incidentally bounced off his knee into the crowd, it possibly would have been let go.
Meanwhile, another passage of play we had a free kick. All the players were steaming down the field yet an eagles player hung onto the ball for ages while trotting back. It was a clear intent to waste time and give his backs a chance to get into position. A pretty obvious 50. I don’t know how the rule is written (will have to look it up) so can’t say if the black and white rule was applied or no. It was quite strange actually because it’s one thing I haven’t seen for some time as it has essentially been stamped out as players now panic about giving it back quickly and accurately. It was a throw back to old fashioned time wasting and pretty blatant.

edit
just read the rules. not throwing the ball back ‘directly’ and the spirit and intent of the 50m rules, it clearly should have 50 to us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I reckon junior Rioli is pretty stiff being sent straight to the tribunal.
It looked like nothing more than a block you would see multiple times a game. The outcome was very unlucky.
Decision based on outcome only

• Sad
The video (that you have just caught up with despite it being mentioned on here many times) was released on November 17, 2020, not 'the eve of the season' you poor, sad, nuff-nuff. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You are just confirming what I said, the rule is being publicly discussed in November, after the clubs were told about it and a trial game held during the 2020 season, and then with the entire 2021 preseason to use it in scratchies.

Seriously, it's no wonder you can't keep up. Sometimes the water is a bit deep to get in without floaties on.

Now go and pop out your stocking, it's likely Christmas Eve at your place.
So you endorse the video? It’s clearly a well rehearsed and scripted release from a professional organisation? A demonstration of how thoroughly thought out and planned the AFL is. The guy answering questions is obviously across the rule. Ah um ah you get some meterage. I want that guy running the show.
Not surprised you endorse another AFL shitshow.

By the way can you get a battler a couple of tickets for Fri night?

• Haha