Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Fisher, hates our guts
He refused to pay a ruck free kick infringement to Soldo at one point. It was probably 1 of the more blatant ones, arm over the shoulder, threw him down etc. I was sat on the wing with the exact same angle as Fisher who was the controlling umpire. The non controlling ump paid the free, and Fisher is still looking and has no idea who to pay it to.

If I could see a pretty blatant free in the middle of the ground (where Fisher is supposed to be looking, the other umps are looking for holds around the stoppages) and Fisher was closer by at least 50m, then WTF was he actually looking at!!

Reactions: 2 users
It's ironic that the deliberate rule was brought in in response to the Joel Bowden incident, because that exact strategy would actually be more effective today if they are applying the rules as they are set out in the rule book.

You could just stand there until the opposition comes and applies pressure and then rush it through, and it would waste more time because the man on the mark is now forced to stand on a blue dot 15 metres away from the goal line.

He refused to pay a ruck free kick infringement to Soldo at one point. It was probably 1 of the more blatant ones, arm over the shoulder, threw him down etc. I was sat on the wing with the exact same angle as Fisher who was the controlling umpire. The non controlling ump paid the free, and Fisher is still looking and has no idea who to pay it to.

If I could see a pretty blatant free in the middle of the ground (where Fisher is supposed to be looking, the other umps are looking for holds around the stoppages) and Fisher was closer by at least 50m, then WTF was he actually looking at!!
Did you see the suns player kicking from outside the boundary near the players race, ended up costing us a goal and the ump was right there we were behind him *smile* blind as a bat

Reactions: 1 user
It's ironic that the deliberate rule was brought in in response to the Joel Bowden incident, because that exact strategy would actually be more effective today if they are applying the rules as they are set out in the rule book.

You could just stand there until the opposition comes and applies pressure and then rush it through, and it would waste more time because the man on the mark is now forced to stand on a blue dot 15 metres away from the goal line.
Not quite 1,2,Dusty!!!!

18.11.2 Free Kicks - Deliberate Rushed Behinds
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who
intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line
or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player:
(a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line;
(b) is not under immediate physical pressure;
(c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or
(d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line
on the full.

;)

Reactions: 3 users
Did you see the suns player kicking from outside the boundary near the players race, ended up costing us a goal and the ump was right there we were behind him *smile* blind as a bat
That was in the final quarter right? It was the opposite of the ground to me but yeah when they showed it on the screen after the goal was kicked it was annoying.

Sunday was a strange one, we were rubbish, but it doesn't half show where the Suns are when they were given 3 goals by us, at least a few goals by the umps (that OOB one, and the non deliberate that would have had Dusty kicking from the top of the square - thats 11 points there, and the 18 points from the 3 rubbish D50 turnovers and thats a 29 point swing, in a 24 point loss.

So we were that crap, but had a few things have gone right for us, we probably still beat the Suns so the question on them is, with so many high draft picks, how are they still as crap as they actually are??

Not quite 1,2,Dusty!!!!

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who
intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line
on the full.

;)
Fair enough!

Joel could still find a loophole I reckon.

• Love
The other one whilst we are talking deliberates, was they were quick to play the off the ground against Shorty in the 1st half, but sometime in the 2nd, GC player kicks to touch, another GC player goes racing after it trying to touch it knowing its deliberate, dives across the surface, probably touches the ball 1m over the line.

Instead of paying deliberate like he should have, the ump calls touched even though it was touched outside of the field of play.

There were several bizarre calls in the 2nd half particularly on Sunday.

The 9m was fine, it doesn't have to be in the square, its 9m from goal (which he was), but there was zero pressure on him. I called out for it at the ground, most people were looking around puzzled at it which is why there isn't really a crowd reaction to it, but in a close game, behind by 16 points, its kind of an important moment but obviously no-one talks about it - oh well, who cares, its only Richmond.

The more confusing thing from the commentators was it seemed like Darcy was the only one of them that knew the rule. The others were all trying to justify the decision (and therefore allow themselves to be lauded by their AFL overlords), Darcy was the only 1 who called it correctly and called it out.
Nobody knows the rules anymore.

They're all 'interpretations' now

Reactions: 3 users
Interested to hear your thoughts on the Sonsie 50m penalty. My issue is there seems to be too much grey area between "that's allowed" and "that's a 50m penalty." So much so that it would be helpful if the umpire could just tell the player approaching the mark to get out because they're "too late" or "too far away."

Yes that would be the common sense approach. Too many 50m penalties are simply non-football decision. Move on the mark, 50m. Ask the umpire why a decision was made (dissent) 50m.

another rule change with Richmond in mind.

Seriously how shitt of an umpire was Fisher?
Watching live it was incredible.
Umpires were over ruling him from 20 metres away.
He was hopless

Quick side note.
We won't get screwed as bad anymore, Al Captaino Dillion barracks for the tiggies.
The little slappers don't want to upset him.

Quick side note.
We won't get screwed as bad anymore, Al Captaino Dillion barracks for the tiggies.
The little slappers don't want to upset him.
I think we’ll get screwed worse. They won’t want to be seen providing favours, so they’ll over correct to remove accusations of bias, much like Matthew Richardson’s comments on every Richmond game.

Reactions: 1 users
Not quite 1,2,Dusty!!!!

on the full.

;)
Just cos that is the rule doesnt mean they will pay the free.

The other one whilst we are talking deliberates, was they were quick to play the off the ground against Shorty in the 1st half, but sometime in the 2nd, GC player kicks to touch, another GC player goes racing after it trying to touch it knowing its deliberate, dives across the surface, probably touches the ball 1m over the line.

Instead of paying deliberate like he should have, the ump calls touched even though it was touched outside of the field of play.

There were several bizarre calls in the 2nd half particularly on Sunday.
Pretending for a moment it was touched inside the line, did the guys sliding the ball across the line show any intent to keep it in?
It is ridiculous how wayward kicks are punished, but guys walk it over the line all the time.

Heard Chamberlain on the radio this morning saying the umpires in the Crows v Cwood failed the game, that it was a disappointing performance by them, lessons learnt.

At least he was honest. That’s what you wanna hear, not this bs “we always get it right” from the AFL (and others).

Can’t ask for much more than that.

Heard Chamberlain on the radio this morning saying the umpires in the Crows v Cwood failed the game, that it was a disappointing performance by them, lessons learnt.

At least he was honest. That’s what you wanna hear, not this bs “we always get it right” from the AFL (and others).

Can’t ask for much more than that.
Same here but I dozed off again when he was justifying the Stephenson issue. Did the headphones fit into his head?

Same here but I dozed off again when he was justifying the Stephenson issue. Did the headphones fit into his head?
I didn't hear that Stephenson part - just the Adelaide v Pies game bit. He was pretty direct-scathing of the umpire performance in that game.