Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

A couple of baffling ones. The free against Balta. The 50 against Sonsie. The non-deliberate against a gold coast player that was kicked directly out.

Umpire No. 26 was a *smile*

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
A couple of baffling ones. The free against Balta. The 50 against Sonsie. The non-deliberate against a gold coast player that was kicked directly out.

Umpire No. 26 was a *smile*

The 50 against Sonsie was there. He was more than 10m behind Ellis when he marked it and dawdled back to man the mark, and clearly came from behind too late.

Not sure which one on Balta?

The 2 puzzling ones for me were (and I think this is the 1 you mean), the non deliberate on the rushed behind. There wasn't a tiger within 20m of him. As far as I understand it, you can only rush through under pressure, not sure a player being 20m away from you can be regarded as "under pressure".

The other deliberate one was a kick to the boundary where there were no Suns players near it. 1 of their players raced after it and tried to touch it and probably touched it a metre or so over the line. It wasn't paid deliberate because the dumpire called it touched!! It can't be called touched when its already out of bounds!! Those 2 IMO were astounding.

Reactions: 3 users
Sonsie 100% brain fart…. There was a patch around 15 minute mark of the the third where the umpires just lost their marbles for 10 minutes…. It was truly baffling stuff

Reactions: 2 users
Sonsie 100% brain fart…. There was a patch around 15 minute mark of the the third where the umpires just lost their marbles for 10 minutes…. It was truly baffling stuff
Fisher destroyed us.
Didn't call a holding on Bolton, the umpire at the MCG paid it.
Then he didn't pay deliberate on the wing 5 minutes after we were penalised.

Reactions: 1 users
If TBR has quit the forum and is reading this, I'd just like to say your posts will be missed.

Echo echo echo echo...

• Love
The 50 against Sonsie was there. He was more than 10m behind Ellis when he marked it and dawdled back to man the mark, and clearly came from behind too late.

The 2 puzzling ones for me were (and I think this is the 1 you mean), the non deliberate on the rushed behind. There wasn't a tiger within 20m of him. As far as I understand it, you can only rush through under pressure, not sure a player being 20m away from you can be regarded as "under pressure".

The other deliberate one was a kick to the boundary where there were no Suns players near it. 1 of their players raced after it and tried to touch it and probably touched it a metre or so over the line. It wasn't paid deliberate because the dumpire called it touched!! It can't be called touched when its already out of bounds!! Those 2 IMO were astounding.
Yeah but no one else was on the mark, wasnt he just trying to get there?

Na. Sonsie was barely 5m away and running towards Ellis. Watch a replay. it was a shocker.

Balta was pinged in the first qtr. had no chance to get rid of ball.

Yeh that’s the deliberate (insufficient intent) I’m referring to. Awful decision

They aren't allowed to come from that far from behind though.

Hmm, I thought he was close enough to be able to get on the mark.

But it is an appalling rule, you can't put someone on the mark if the closest payer is behind and not close enough? Absurd.

Also, we can argue about whether Sonsie was close enough, but what a rubbish rule that leaves that much interpretation/vagueness when the penalty is 50m.

DS

Reactions: 6 users
Na. Sonsie was barely 5m away and running towards Ellis. Watch a replay. it was a shocker.

Balta was pinged in the first qtr. had no chance to get rid of ball.

Yeh that’s the deliberate (insufficient intent) I’m referring to. Awful decision

Ah yes I remember the Balta one. That was a joke. He actually had a really good defensive win against 2 opponents, caught the ball on the way down, tackled immediately, arm pinged, free kick,

Compare that to twice the GC players, were tackled, at that point raised both hands AND the ball above their heads and then still didn't dispose of it. Play on or ball up.

Consistency

He wasn’t outside protected zone.

He looked to be about 10m behind Ellis when I was at the ground, he came from a way back and dawdled to get there, but agree with David its a *smile* rule if you aren't allowed to man the mark even if you are the closest player, it wasn't as if Ellis tried to play on before he manned the mark.

He looked to be about 10m behind Ellis when I was at the ground, he came from a way back and dawdled to get there, but agree with David its a *smile* rule if you aren't allowed to man the mark even if you are the closest player, it wasn't as if Ellis tried to play on before he manned the mark.
It is a 50mt penalty every time, except when it is not.

• Love
  • Haha
Ah yes I remember the Balta one. That was a joke. He actually had a really good defensive win against 2 opponents, caught the ball on the way down, tackled immediately, arm pinged, free kick,

Compare that to twice the GC players, were tackled, at that point raised both hands AND the ball above their heads and then still didn't dispose of it. Play on or ball up.

Consistency
Balta clearly should have grabbed the ball and taken 3 steps backwards into the tackler (as 1 Sun did late), then it is a ball up.

Does anyone have a break down of where the frees were paid, i.e. forward, mid or back. That will tell a tale as I reckon plenty of ours were in the back third and tehirs seemed to be in the forward third!

Na. Watch a replay. I was at ground too. He was the nearest tiger. The league can get *smile* if they think that's the way football should be played.

Reactions: 4 users
I forgot about that one. Staggering it wasn't paid. No one near him and he thumped it through when he could have grabbed it. Dusty was onto it straight away.

So we have a certain goal missed to us.

The Balta one resulted in a goal to them.

The Sonsie 50 was a goal to them.

There's a 3 goal turnaround.

• Angry