Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Just throwing it out there, but reckon it has a lot more to do with COVID and people getting cozy on the couch.

The rule changes and terrible umpiring are definitely exacerbating things though.
Not 10000 people reduction on games.
Have you gone to southland or Chaddy it's chockers.
Not sure Victoria is in covid mode at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
More the former. And this weekend more than half of Melbourne aren't in Melbourne.
Melbournians have fallen out of love for the game plain & simple.
There's still plenty people out and about.
But football isn't a priority anymore.
I think the Vic Government should hold off on its redevelopment of the southern stand.
It will look ridiculous if 20000 crowds are turning up to a 105,000 capacity stadium

Reactions: 3 users
Always been a fan of Grant Thomas, when he gives it to the AFL.

Former St Kilda coach Grant Thomas called it “disgraceful”.

“Firstly, a wrong (free kick) as Hawk fakes massively,” he tweeted.

“Then Gunston and Mitchell standing in middle of ground talking to ump, see replay on screen and put their arms up ... 50m (penalty).

“I thought arms up lately was now acceptable?? Pick & choose. This will end in tears in a very big game.”

• Angry
And whilst round 1-8 were announce pre season only 9-10 have been announced. I want to to Suns game in July. That is in middle of Vic and Nsw school holidays so the day and time of our game will have a big influence on when I want to fly up and back. And when the afl do announce the date fares and accomodation may well put me off going.

I think the Vic Government should hold off on its redevelopment of the southern stand.
It will look ridiculous if 20000 crowds are turning up to a 105,000 capacity stadium
Rebuuild of Warne Stand is part driven by néed part political expediency.

Victorian government did it's best to kill the game no Victoriab gf since 2019 and barely have we had a chance to go regularly since 2019.

• Dislike
Here is a direct reason why 15 people didn't attend MCG today and ended up watching it at home. 16 year old birthday of hawk fan who now lives interstate. In Melbourne for holidays to visit family. Intention was for extended family to go with the young bloke. His mum tried to book. Block of 10 max. Then cost was $75 for reserved seats, not together. She gave up. Some irony in that his mothers brother is a senior exec at another AFL club.... the people who create and encourage this messy greed.

Reactions: 2 users
Watched five minutes of this game for a score check, just before half time. Hawforn leading by a few goals n attacking fiercely. Tuohy calmly waltzes the ball over the goal line while a couple of Hawforn players are standing back watching the umpires n waiting for them to call it for deliberately taking it through under nil pressure. Not a free kick of course, it's Geelol after all n they get a coast to coast goal to, you guessed it from the resulting kick in.
Didn't bother to watch any more of the game because the garbage that is umpiring is killing the game.
Daughter told me later that Hawforn had won so I texted the younger Bro to hang a little *smile*, as ya do. Daughter then showed me the footage of Dawkins try out for the Bolshoi as Prima ballerina for their next rendition of Swan Lake. *smile* disgraceful performance by that piece of Geelol slime n made ten times worse by those pathetic maggots falling for it n then pinging a 50 for demonstrative dissent.

There's a reason they can't get umpires for minor league footy n it all flows down from the top. Fish rots at the head n the AFL Honcho's n their *smile* rules coupled with pathetically incompetent umpires is front n centre.

Reactions: 1 users
Robbo doing his 'nana on 360 over the arms out 50s, Whateley says they need to be like Heeney... shows footage of Heeney push a WCE in the back.... and puts his arms out lol.

Robbo called it out, said it should have been 50, he put his arms out. Whateley arguing he didn't.

They should be held responsible for killing the game. Diehards will soon walk away not only casual observers

2022, the year the AFL jumped the shark.
They should be held responsible for killing the game. Diehards will soon walk away not only casual observers
The game, and the AFL in particular, need a reset. I’m hoping the incoming CEO has more feel for the game rather than profits and appeasing corporates, and changes are made for the better.

But I’m not holding my breath

Robbo doing his 'nana on 360 over the arms out 50s, Whateley says they need to be like Heeney... shows footage of Heeney push a WCE in the back.... and puts his arms out lol.

Robbo called it out, said it should have been 50, he put his arms out. Whateley arguing he didn't.
Just like on OTC, the discussion looks half-serious and always ends up with giggles. None really care.

Arms out 50. Is this really a rule? Wasn't aware of it till now coz my interest for the game has dropped off.

What a *smile* joke.

But it's quite reflective of the way society is heading where they want to quash all dissent and make everyone obedient to authority.

You know the interesting thing about the Hawkins dive, it wasn't even forwards.

In a pack situation the umpires do have to get better at working out what is a push and what is just a player with his hands out trying not to be pushed backwards (see Cameron incident a few minutes later).

I can understand that it can be difficult to see whether it is a genuine push in the back in the middle of a pack, or whether a player is diving.

But, when pushed in the back, a player falls forward.

Hawkins spun sideways.

How the f*ck can you conclude that Hawkins was pushed in the back when he was going sideways? Even if he was pushed or shoved, he went to his left which means any push or shove is legal.

Gross incompetence.

DS

The absolute craziness of all this is that umpire abuse was an AFL ruse for umpires walking away from the sport.

The reality is they need to turn the mirror squarely on themselves.

Reactions: 1 users