Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Geelong people hate going to late Sunday games,so do I, Sunday games should be 1.10-2.10.
Ps I know it's now Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
AFL360, On The Couch and Footy Classified tonight have to raise this seriously.
not just the media but there really needs to be some kind of serious dialogue between the AFL, the Clubs, the Umpires and the supporters groups about what the game is descending into ...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Prick of the week is ...........best I don't post the picture of that number 14 flog otherwise PRE might get in trouble.....

Shovekins cheap talk...." I think it was clear to see.....I was outnumbered....I jumped and uhmm.....got me at a poor time....yeah I know it's controversial...."

If umpiring of the sort we have been seeing this season continues then footy is very much in a perilous state.
It's laughable that players raising their arms out to the side warrants such a harsh penalty.
We all know that umpiring standards across all competitions and leagues are weakening, but the AFL is becoming a joke with this sort of adjudicating.

Showing my age, I know, but to think the Big H (Harry Beitzel) and his ilk used to officiate games as the sole umpire. And don't worry they had to deal with more abuse from players than just their arms being raised out to the side. And, at worst, if Big H was offended he could pay a fifteen-metre penalty. Yes, fifteen metres!

I reckon Gil should resign. Oh he has. All the fawning over this useless entitled private school clown should cease and desist. The game under his reign has become a joke. Next.

Reactions: 5 users
Been banging on about this for a while but one of the main reasons crowds are down is that the average supporter is feeling disenfranchised from the game due to the inane recent rule changes.
I know that's how I feel. Totally disillusioned.
The AFL has lost touch with their audience.

Reactions: 6 users
I think in some cases the answer is pretty obvious. The interstate teams generally win the free kick count at home. Punters are more likely to attend if their team wins.
And we are the most loyal supporters in the AFL. We are like a super safe seat in political terms-that's why we get nothing from the league.
Can you offer a better explanation for the free kick stats from
Your explanation is impossible to prove but I have nothing else to offer.

Reactions: 1 user
This approach has been enough to get Grimes and Tross in front of the firing squad in the past.
I think Hawkins is safe though..........
*smile* it's frustrating to watch at the moment.
Utter disgrace.
Grimes , Vlaustin and Rance all found guilty by MRO for less than Hawkins just did. So...lets see shall we.
The AFL remains amateurish, biased, petty and grossly indifferent to genuine and honest behavior in favour of self interest.
The rules are ridiculously complex and open to variable interpretation such that this multi million dollar organization can no longer remain professional in appearance.

Reactions: 2 users
They need to make the game easier to umpire. There's been a billion new rules added to the game since the early 90s.
One eff up covering another & creating a snowball effect.
Strip the game back to basics & make it easier for umpires, players & football fans to understand. There is a ridiculous amount of grey in our sport.

Reactions: 4 users
If umpiring of the sort we have been seeing this season continues then footy is very much in a perilous state.
It's laughable that players raising their arms out to the side warrants such a harsh penalty.
We all know that umpiring standards across all competitions and leagues are weakening, but the AFL is becoming a joke with this sort of adjudicating.

Showing my age, I know, but to think the Big H (Harry Beitzel) and his ilk used to officiate games as the sole umpire. And don't worry they had to deal with more abuse from players than just their arms being raised out to the side. And, at worst, if Big H was offended he could pay a fifteen-metre penalty. Yes, fifteen metres!
I agree the umpiring is getting worse and certain umpires have their player favourites who could kill someone on the field and still not get penalised but in mitigation to the umpire community, the AFL come up with stupid rules and interpretations and the umps are forced to follow their instructions especially when the interpretations an change week to week. Can't be easy for them

Last edited:
They need to make the game easier to umpire. There's been a billion new rules added to the game since the early 90s.
One eff up covering another & creating a snowball effect.
Strip the game back to basics & make it easier for umpires, players & football fans to understand. There is a ridiculous amount of grey in our sport.
They are beyond that. 90% of them can't read a push or a throw let alone a 15 metre pass.
The umpiring is bias

T

That's 75k 3 yrs ago before all the rule changes.
Imagine if they didn't have a rivalry
Just throwing it out there, but reckon it has a lot more to do with COVID and people getting cozy on the couch.

The rule changes and terrible umpiring are definitely exacerbating things though.

Just throwing it out there, but reckon it has a lot more to do with COVID and people getting cozy on the couch.

The rule changes and terrible umpiring are definitely exacerbating things though.
More the former. And this weekend more than half of Melbourne aren't in Melbourne.