Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Is the player allowed to raise his eyebrows or roll his eyes at a questionable decision?

Reactions: 2 users
Utter disgrace.
Grimes , Vlaustin and Rance all found guilty by MRO for less than Hawkins just did. So...lets see shall we.
The AFL remains amateurish, biased, petty and grossly indifferent to genuine and honest behavior in favour of self interest.
The rules are ridiculously complex and open to variable interpretation such that this multi million dollar organization can no longer remain professional in appearance.
Add to that the Butler stage when he was pushed over by Picket. I thought he would get a staging fine, but no….Pickett gets fined $2000 for unduly rough play.

Reactions: 3 users
Communism has arrived.

Next on the list: all players must have short back and side haircuts.

Reactions: 1 users
I think we are in minority report and 1984 doublethink at the same time.

The AFL umpire precogs have 35 guilty Richmond free kicks ready to roll. Plus 5 50m balls.

Plus Richmond doesn’t have a free kick discrepancy.

7B3AE04F-6588-432D-AD35-1EEB3C4C77D4.jpeg

He obviously had a brain freeze. Normally when he’s behind someone he just pushes them square in the back to take a mark.
He’s made of Teflon that *smile*. Pushes in the back gets away with it, takes a blatant dive and gets rewarded too
I just read this comment on Titus O'Reily's page
"In addition to doing it to every opponent he has ever "played on" (ie stood behind), has Tom Hawkins now mastered the art of pushing himself in the back?"

It'd be funny if it wasn't so true/unfair.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Reactions: 4 users
Today it isn’t about the game and the players, it’s about the umpires, their sensibilities, their mind reading abilities and their biases.
The umpiring display in our game was beyond belief, it was game changing. My blood is still boiling over the Pickett sanction against Butler. I find myself watching other games to see if umpires are as bad in other games, and imho they are still pretty bad but not as biased as they seem against us.
I’m not going to watch the umpires and how well they know the rules, cos even those that do know the rules don’t pay them to both teams. A holding the ball to Adelaide is incorrect disposal against us. A head high punch to spoil a mark is play on to us and a free to oppo. A dob when a player is being slung 360 and legitimately handballs is against us but a throw in to oppo. And don’t even get me started on ruck-lotto.
When the game is MORE about the 50m penalties for stepping an inch off the mark or running inside a protected area (when not effecting play in the slightest), or showing frustration (not dissent) or kicking the ball to space and being pinged for whichever way the ball bounces and LESS about the players and teams and their skills - well something is dreadfully wrong on so many levels.
Someone posted earlier “why don’t we take our concerns to the afl”. I think from my recollection, Benny did that once and things didn’t get better for us, they deteriorated to what we are now experiencing.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
Today it isn’t about the game and the players, it’s about the umpires, their sensibilities, their mind reading abilities and their biases.
The umpiring display in our game was beyond belief, it was game changing. My blood is still boiling over the Pickett sanction against Butler. I find myself watching other games to see if umpires are as bad in other games, and imho they are still pretty bad but not as biased as they seem against us.
I’m not going to watch the umpires and how well they know the rules, cos even those that do know the rules don’t pay them to both teams. A holding the ball to Adelaide is incorrect disposal against us. A head high punch to spoil a mark is play on to us and a free to oppo. A dob when a player is being slung 360 and legitimately handballs is against us but a throw in to oppo. And don’t even get me started on ruck-lotto.
When the game is MORE about the 50m penalties for stepping an inch off the mark or running inside a protected area (when not effecting play in the slightest), or showing frustration (not dissent) or kicking the ball to space and being pinged for whichever way the ball bounces and LESS about the players and teams and their skills - well something is dreadfully wrong on so many levels.
Someone posted earlier “why don’t we take our concerns to the afl”. I think from my recollection, Benny did that once and things didn’t get better for us, they deteriorated to what we are now experiencing.

Yes, the game now seems to be more about the umpires than the players.

In the past you were able to say that the umpires did a good job because you didn't notice them, not any more. They're having far too much influence on a games result than is healthy.
But truly it's not their fault, it's because of the constant stupid rule changes that are making the game almost impossible to umpire.

How many of us fans are disenchanted with the game at present, I know most of the people I speak with are.

WAKE UP AFL YOU MORONS, THE GAME IS IN CRISIS & IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

Reactions: 6 users
This rubbish 50 for arms out is the final straw. This game is pretty much impossible to play. Wud like to see a 50m comparrison over several years when this year is over. Poor poor umpires - the abuse and arms out wud not b nearly as bad if they just payed to obvious free kicks and not try to be involved in the game with so many "look at me" moments.

Reactions: 1 user
On Footy on Nine Twitter - as expected, the AFL Have doubled down. And no staging for Hawkins.

Brad Scott has stood by all the frees and 50m penalties paid over round 5 for dissent, including the controversial calls against Harris Andrews and the Hawks. All correct, according to AFL.

And he confirmed the AFL view that at least six other dissent incidents should have been penalised

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Yes, the game now seems to be more about the umpires than the players.

In the past you were able to say that the umpires did a good job because you didn't notice them, not any more. They're having far too much influence on a games result than is healthy.
But truly it's not their fault, it's because of the constant stupid rule changes that are making the game almost impossible to umpire.

How many of us fans are disenchanted with the game at present, I know most of the people I speak with are.

WAKE UP AFL YOU MORONS, THE GAME IS IN CRISIS & IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.
Well it is partially their fault as they are out there on the field blowing the whistle. Sometimes missing obvious frees and sometimes showing bias towards one team. But yes I agree, the AFL are a law unto themselves and NO ONE can critise them or they or their team will be reamed week in week out.