Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

a few frees stood out-
Bolton gets tackled on the wing, he stands in the tackle while he jumper is held. after a while he handballs the ball. free for "holding the ball". kind of fair enough, except there have been numerous times this year where we have held a tackle for as long before a handball is given, and no free,
McAdam jumped onto Vlastuin back a pack marking contest. didnt get near the ball. should have been "unrealistic". he then roved the pack and kicked to the goal square where Himmelberg got a free.
the2 duckings against us. they were probably paid correctly, it is just a pity they rarely pay a free against guys ducking into tackles.
a few times Crows tried to fend off takcles and didnt dispose correctly- no free.
On the Crows HFF McAdam paddled the ball forward with 2 hands (throw), Rioli grabbed him for a moment. Holding the man. later Tarrant tapped the ball forward, and had his jumper held for a moment. No free.
Walker takes a mark at the end of the 1st, He takes 3 or 4 steps inward to pass the ball then changes his mind- no play on.
and of course the deliberate against Bolton.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not disagreeing with you in terms of the game last night being closer if it was fairly adjudicated, we were reamed let's be honest. I don't think it was the reason we lost but it didn't help. If every single free kick was paid at midfield it still wouldn't be close to be worth an i50 because plenty of those free kicks would have ended up an i50 regardless of whether they were paid a free kick or not. The free kick itself is not worth an i50

I hope you don’t mind, I would like to test your logic a bit here, and my own.

I think it doesn’t matter ultimately if all of the free kicks are not paid in the centre of the ground when calculating their average value. Once you take into account free kicks deep in defence, at half back, centre, wing, half forward and within range of goal, the average position should be roughly the centre of the ground should it not?

Then if you do as you say, and discount for the the frees that would have ended in inside 50’s anyway, I can see how you arrive at the outcome an average free kick is not worth an average inside 50. The trouble is you need to add back the extra inside 50’s the opposition would have achieved had the free kicks not been paid.

So where some free kicks might be worth zero extras inside 50’s net, because you were going to go inside 50 anyway, other free kicks are worth net 2 x inside 50’s, ie the extra inside 50 you get, plus the inside 50 your opposition does not get.

When all is said and done then, shouldn’t an average free kick be worth roughly an average inside 50? And therefore, 4 bad decisions against you would be worth roughly one goal, on average?

Reactions: 1 users
a few frees stood out-
Bolton gets tackled on the wing, he stands in the tackle while he jumper is held. after a while he handballs the ball. free for "holding the ball". kind of fair enough, except there have been numerous times this year where we have held a tackle for as long before a handball is given, and no free,
McAdam jumped onto Vlastuin back a pack marking contest. didnt get near the ball. should have been "unrealistic". he then roved the pack and kicked to the goal square where Himmelberg got a free.
the2 duckings against us. they were probably paid correctly, it is just a pity they rarely pay a free against guys ducking into tackles.
a few times Crows tried to fend off takcles and didnt dispose correctly- no free.
On the Crows HFF McAdam paddled the ball forward with 2 hands (throw), Rioli grabbed him for a moment. Holding the man. later Tarrant tapped the ball forward, and had his jumper held for a moment. No free.
Walker takes a mark at the end of the 1st, He takes 3 or 4 steps inward to pass the ball then changes his mind- no play on.
I really enjoyed the no 15m pass from Cotch to Nank and then 40 sec later there is a 7m pass between two crows players that’s all clear from the umps.

a few frees stood out-

Nicely observed. My personal favourite was I think Q3. Graham gets tackled at half back, him and the tackler end up laying on the ground, the Crows player with Graham in the same headlock he applied when tackling. Result = ball up. Walker goals from the stoppage. That was a good one.

Close runner-up the Himmelberg "ground assisted” mark, also resulted in a Crows goal.

Last edited:
No 25 for them very coachable player. Repeatedly ducked and dived and received free kicks. Obviously following coaching instructions as the majority of crows were doing likewise but none pleased Nicks as much as he
#25 is Ned McHenry. Noticed Nicks gave him a load of encouragement/tap on the back at the end of one of the quarters. Commentators mentioned he's very coachable I think from memory

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I hope you don’t mind, I would like to test your logic a bit here, and my own.

I think it doesn’t matter ultimately if all of the free kicks are not paid in the centre of the ground when calculating their average value. Once you take into account free kicks deep in defence, at half back, centre, wing, half forward and within range of goal, the average position should be roughly the centre of the ground should it not?

Then if you do as you say, and discount for the the frees that would have ended in inside 50’s anyway, I can see how you arrive at the outcome an average free kick is not worth an average inside 50. The trouble is you need to add back the extra inside 50’s the opposition would have achieved had the free kicks not been paid.

So where some free kicks might be worth zero extras inside 50’s net, because you were going to go inside 50 anyway, other free kicks are worth net 2 x inside 50’s, ie the extra inside 50 you get, plus the inside 50 your opposition does not get.

When all is said and done then, shouldn’t an average free kick be worth roughly an average inside 50? And therefore, 4 bad decisions against you would be worth roughly one goal, on average?
I don't mind mate, it's a healthy debate. And I get you with the -2 i50s net but that's highly unlikely.
You're talking a guaranteed i50 to us which ends up in a guaranteed i50 to them due to a wrong decision while also discounting any which may have gone the other way. Even Dusty with the ball from 60 is not worth a guaranteed i50.
Fwd free kicks are worth zero i50s as it's already in there so how many of the remaining are worth 1 or more i50? At best maybe 1 in 4 defensive frees end up in an i50 and half of them probably happen regardless of the free.
I think plenty of frees are tactical which actually benefit the team giving them or have very little impact on the outcome of the play anyway, a clip around the ears when they were marking it regardless for example.
A bit of consistency would be nice though.

Question's been put out to H.Q. No answer was the stern reply, typical of Gilligan's mob. Sadly in the Hun, they only mentioned our free kick discrepancy over last year n this season so far.
We've been getting flogged by the maggots for years in free kicks n fifties as cherries on top.
Don't care how many frees they pay or where on the field they pay them, but there is only one set of rules and they shouldn't be " interpreted " just adjudicated according to the rule book.

I think neither of the two head ducking frees against us were warranted. Both players were in the act of picking up the ball so neither actually ‘ducked into’ the tackle. So it was either a high free to us or a ball-up!!

Reactions: 3 users
It’s not just our games. Watch any game and you’ll see a lot of frees simply not paid and other things that shouldn’t be, are. Then they go out and pull that you waved your arms 50 out their arse. If the umpiring had any integrity that umpire would be pulled aside, told that he had frivolously misused the rule and sent up the country to umpire for a while where he doesn’t have much of an audience to perform for.

I was visiting some relos over Easter, one of whom is a Doggies supporter, so we watched the Roos v Dogs game on Friday.

Oh my goodness, talk about ducking & staging, the Bulldogs are masters at both. At one stage I thought Weightman had been hit by a freight train, forensic replays by the coverage showed an ever so slight tug of the jumper. And as for Macrea!!!!!! words fail me & yet HE NEVER get outed by the commentators or the umpires.

As DavidSSS says, all we want is for the games to be umpired with consistency of interpretation, not the lopsided cr@p that we consistently endure.

I really enjoyed the no 15m pass from Cotch to Nank and then 40 sec later there is a 7m pass between two crows players that’s all clear from the umps.
That's the on WT.
My blood pressure went through the roof.
He call play a 1 second after Cotchin kicked causing Nakas to drop it.

• Angry
But why would us losing be profitable for the AFL?
I think in some cases the answer is pretty obvious. The interstate teams generally win the free kick count at home. Punters are more likely to attend if their team wins.
And we are the most loyal supporters in the AFL. We are like a super safe seat in political terms-that's why we get nothing from the league.
Can you offer a better explanation for the free kick stats from our game?

The lack of frees being paid one way and not the other affects the game from momentum point of view. Interesting how uneven the free kick count was after we hit the front. Not being rewarded for a good tackle means the tackle intensity drops. Throws not being seen by umpires allows the opposition to escape our pressure. Marking forwards being manhandled affects our style of play more than other teams.

the worse decision was a non decision at about the 12 minute mark in the last quarter when McHenry was tackled sun around 720 degrees and threw the ball over his dead. Play on ! WTF