Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Cotchin also said he wasn’t interested in being a senior or assistant coach. He’s enjoying his current role.

So no real coaching ambitions YET

Reactions: 1 user
Cotch loving those consultancy dollars and flexibility.

Will stay in this space for a while.

Reactions: 6 users
I would boot Yze tommorow, to get Cotchin back.
If Yze can't work alongside blokes like Cotchin, get him out now
There is absolutely no reason why anyone would think that Yze can't work with Cotchin. The only reason it is being discussed is speculation in this thread, no facts

I am always very careful about assuming that a great player can be a great coach because there are so many examples of that not being the case. If I were to pick any of our recent retired high profile players as the most likely to be a successful coach it would be Jack Riewoldt not Cotch, but he doesn't seem to want to coach.

Reactions: 2 users
A bit more about the Chimp and the help that he has provided to Raynor, McCluggage and Berry.

Trent is all about helping players to stand up, unlike Cornes, he's all about trying to knock them down.

"The teacher this year has been Trent Cotchin, Richmond’s three-time premiership captain and Brownlow Medallist, who had a key message for the maturing Lion.

Don’t dream too big. Sweat the SMALL stuff. Do the simple things right and the big moments will follow. And so it proved on Saturday.

As former Brisbane captain and All Australian halfback Dayne Zorko said, Cotchin has helped Rayner and teammates including Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry realise that “it’s about doing what they need to do and not going above and beyond that”.

Cotchin, for his part, said that Rayner deserved credit for his willingness to listen and to learn, despite having 139 games of experience.

Just as Rayner had proven his worth when assisting younger teammates during his time on the sidelines with a knee injury in 2021, he learned that he could be of value to others in passages when he was not in the play, Cotchin said.

“Cam is doing a lot of the work himself and he is an incredible person who cares so much about the team,” Cotchin told SEN on Monday.

“Sometimes that has been to the detriment of his own individual performance, but I think that is what has made him such a great teammate. He truly just wants the team to win and will do whatever he can, whether that be the role he is playing or the way he is executing his game.

“The biggest thing that I have noticed, particularly in the last few weeks, is that he doesn’t necessarily have to dominate the whole game of footy to have a huge impact.

“That doesn’t come down to the amazing left foot goal he kicked just before the end of the game on the weekend, or the big mark he took on the wing, it is more the actions where he creates contests or brings some of those other lively forwards into the game.

“I think for him, it has taken pressure off him to think he has to do all the grand stuff and instead now doing all the smaller stuff well and more consistently.”

"Rayner, who had the responsibility of fulfilling various media rounds for Brisbane including his stint with Fox Footy on Saturday night, cited the impact Cotchin has had on him."

“It has been spoken about Trent Cotchin being at the footy club and I have done a lot of my work with him in being able to impact moments and even last week, I probably didn’t have as many disposals as I would have liked, but I had a lot of moments in the last half where I made a contest or put the body on the line to make it easier for teammates,” he told the Nine Network.

“Being able to impact the game without having the ball is something I really wanted to work on … but (on Saturday) with the ball, I was really happy. It has probably come down to being able to run out games now, which I probably would not used to be able to do, so to be able to have an impact later in the game is what I have been working on.”

Reactions: 7 users
A bit more about the Chimp and the help that he has provided to Raynor, McCluggage and Berry.

Trent is all about helping players to stand up, unlike Cornes, he's all about trying to knock them down.

"The teacher this year has been Trent Cotchin, Richmond’s three-time premiership captain and Brownlow Medallist, who had a key message for the maturing Lion.

Don’t dream too big. Sweat the SMALL stuff. Do the simple things right and the big moments will follow. And so it proved on Saturday.

As former Brisbane captain and All Australian halfback Dayne Zorko said, Cotchin has helped Rayner and teammates including Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry realise that “it’s about doing what they need to do and not going above and beyond that”.

Cotchin, for his part, said that Rayner deserved credit for his willingness to listen and to learn, despite having 139 games of experience.

Just as Rayner had proven his worth when assisting younger teammates during his time on the sidelines with a knee injury in 2021, he learned that he could be of value to others in passages when he was not in the play, Cotchin said.

“Cam is doing a lot of the work himself and he is an incredible person who cares so much about the team,” Cotchin told SEN on Monday.

“Sometimes that has been to the detriment of his own individual performance, but I think that is what has made him such a great teammate. He truly just wants the team to win and will do whatever he can, whether that be the role he is playing or the way he is executing his game.

“The biggest thing that I have noticed, particularly in the last few weeks, is that he doesn’t necessarily have to dominate the whole game of footy to have a huge impact.

“That doesn’t come down to the amazing left foot goal he kicked just before the end of the game on the weekend, or the big mark he took on the wing, it is more the actions where he creates contests or brings some of those other lively forwards into the game.

“I think for him, it has taken pressure off him to think he has to do all the grand stuff and instead now doing all the smaller stuff well and more consistently.”

"Rayner, who had the responsibility of fulfilling various media rounds for Brisbane including his stint with Fox Footy on Saturday night, cited the impact Cotchin has had on him."

“It has been spoken about Trent Cotchin being at the footy club and I have done a lot of my work with him in being able to impact moments and even last week, I probably didn’t have as many disposals as I would have liked, but I had a lot of moments in the last half where I made a contest or put the body on the line to make it easier for teammates,” he told the Nine Network.

“Being able to impact the game without having the ball is something I really wanted to work on … but (on Saturday) with the ball, I was really happy. It has probably come down to being able to run out games now, which I probably would not used to be able to do, so to be able to have an impact later in the game is what I have been working on.”

Normally i would be outraged about this.
But since he had a hand in Geeeeelongs downfall i am all for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
so Cotchin recommends the guy and then won't go to the club while he's there

it's like a $2 conspiracy theory
Firstly i doubt Cotch was the only one on the panel.
Secondly and the important thing here is he alienated the Group AFTER he was appointed.
So far that $2 theory has cost us 5 premiership players with 2 changing their minds after commiting to us long term.
All is not Rosy at the club.

Firstly i doubt Cotch was the only one on the panel.
Secondly and the important thing here is he alienated the Group AFTER he was appointed.
So far that $2 theory has cost us 5 premiership players with 2 changing their minds after commiting to us long term.
All is not Rosy at the club.
What rubbish.

The issue is we're going 100% full rebuild. That was communicated to players BEFORE the season started.
There was an expectation that we'd roll the dice one last time (I posted this before the season started), while we had our older guys up and about.
I don't have proof of this, but Rioli talking to Dimma early in the year...one last roll of the dice means not competing in 2025 when you think of it. Rioli was already looking for options before Yze's voice started echoing off the Pund Rd walls. He wasn't hanging round for a rebuild.
When we got to mid/end June, the players knew that next year would be a different phase of playing. Not a surprise more of them aren't hanging around for a 4 win season.

Reactions: 6 users
What rubbish.

The issue is we're going 100% full rebuild. That was communicated to players BEFORE the season started.
There was an expectation that we'd roll the dice one last time (I posted this before the season started), while we had our older guys up and about.
I don't have proof of this, but Rioli talking to Dimma early in the year...one last roll of the dice means not competing in 2025 when you think of it. Rioli was already looking for options before Yze's voice started echoing off the Pund Rd walls. He wasn't hanging round for a rebuild.
When we got to mid/end June, the players knew that next year would be a different phase of playing. Not a surprise more of them aren't hanging around for a 4 win season.
Yeah, I get a similar gist.
- One last charge - which got de-railed.
- Monthly reviews and probably after month 2 agree 2024 is shot (maybe month 3) (your mid/end June point)
- Re-plan the rest of 2024 and into 2025 including using the rest of the season/training on elements of the new gameplan.
- Note: Training changed after the mid-season bye, different drills, different focus areas. And it's not the full gameplan but only elements so far. Probably too hard to change the gameplan totally mid-season.
- Gut feel is that at around this time there's a "fairly blunt" session on the expectations of the new gameplan, what it will mean for a couple of seasons.
- Some players decide they're not up for that change/grind/direction.
- Notably some players sign up for the change and openly announce it.

I just see what's transpired as a fairly logical set of outcomes to arise out of a transition. (Note: I see this as very typical of what occurs in a business when they undergo a "transformation".)

Reactions: 15 users
- Monthly reviews and probably after month 2 agree 2024 is shot (maybe month 3) (your mid/end June point)
- Re-plan the rest of 2024 and into 2025 including using the rest of the season/training on elements of the new gameplan.
- Note: Training changed after the mid-season bye, different drills, different focus areas. And it's not the full gameplan but only elements so far. Probably too hard to change the gameplan totally mid-season.
- Gut feel is that at around this time there's a "fairly blunt" session on the expectations of the new gameplan, what it will mean for a couple of seasons.

I just see what's transpired as a fairly logical set of outcomes to arise out of a transition. (Note: I see this as very typical of what occurs in a business when they undergo a "transformation".)
There's also potentially some players been tappen on the shoulder to say we think you'll struggle in the new game plan, so maybe look elsewhere. Note - i don't think that's a Rioli or Bolton type.

Love your posting HK. You've provided great insights this year and a bit of optimism throughout a pretty grim season.

Reactions: 12 users
What rubbish.

One last crack?Rubbish.
He said from the start is was about the future not the past.It was all about the rebuild.Didn't want nothing to do with the past.Clear message to the senior group.
Clearly it alienated some including Dusty who if he pulls on a suns jumper will just confirm.
This has 1982 written all over it again.
The only saving grace is we get kids into the club rather than Collingwood spuds.

One last crack?Rubbish.
He said from the start is was about the future not the past.It was all about the rebuild.Didn't want nothing to do with the past.Clear message to the senior group.
Clearly it alienated some including Dusty who if he pulls on a suns jumper will just confirm.
This has 1982 written all over it again.
The only saving grace is we get kids into the club rather than Collingwood spuds.
Incorrect.
The players were told - straight from one of those seniors most impacted by this - that we were having one last roll of the dice. 2024 was not rebuild year, 25 was.

Yze taking photos off the wall was basically saying, you've had a 25 course banquet a week ago that was the best meal you've ever tasted. Time to get hungry again instead of looking at your instagram pictures of the same meal.
It was never stop being competitive. It was look forward and ask yourself, when do we dine again? If people don't like being challenged like that, should we keep em here?
Unfortunately some are too stuffed from the feast. They've become like me, and don't wanna go back to the gym and work it off.

Incorrect.
The players were told - straight from one of those seniors most impacted by this - that we were having one last roll of the dice. 2024 was not rebuild year, 25 was.

Yze taking photos off the wall was basically saying, you've had a 25 course banquet a week ago that was the best meal you've ever tasted. Time to get hungry again instead of looking at your instagram pictures of the same meal.
It was never stop being competitive. It was look forward and ask yourself, when do we dine again? If people don't like being challenged like that, should we keep em here?
Unfortunately some are too stuffed from the feast. They've become like me, and don't wanna go back to the gym and work it off.
Sounds like there were some pretty abrupt changes in planning from the end of 2022 to Yze arrival.

We had Gale saying publicly that we wanted to refresh on the run like Geelong and not rebuild like Hawthorn (aged well that one). We also mortgaged our immediate future for Taranto and Hopper. I’m almost certain the sales pitch to those two didn’t involve two years of contending followed by 6-7 years of painful rebuilding to close out their careers.