Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

Cotch loving those consultancy dollars and flexibility.

Will stay in this space for a while.

Perfect job for a guy with young kids. Gets to spend a heap of time with the young kids, whilst still being paid a very tasty amount of money for no responsibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly i doubt Cotch was the only one on the panel.
Secondly and the important thing here is he alienated the Group AFTER he was appointed.
So far that $2 theory has cost us 5 premiership players with 2 changing their minds after commiting to us long term.
All is not Rosy at the club.

This is all plain assumption on your behalf.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like there were some pretty abrupt changes in planning from the end of 2022 to Yze arrival.

We had Gale saying publicly that we wanted to refresh on the run like Geelong and not rebuild like Hawthorn (aged well that one). We also mortgaged our immediate future for Taranto and Hopper. I’m almost certain the sales pitch to those two didn’t involve two years of contending followed by 6-7 years of painful rebuilding to close out their careers.
Yeah, the rebuild for 25 was intended to be a rebuild on the run.

I haven't caught up with my contact since a birthday in July, but the words used in July was things had changed to a "conventional rebuild". Not sure what changed, or why, but the explanation and wording definitely altered from pre-season to then.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the rebuild for 25 was intended to be a rebuild on the run.

I haven't caught up with my contact since a birthday in July, but the words used in July was things had changed to a "conventional rebuild". Not sure what changed, or why, but the explanation and wording definitely altered from pre-season to then.
Agree. My guess is that in the mid year (June) review (the point we both alluded to earlier) the footy dept (coaches, S&C, Livo, etc.) realised 2024 was totally shot, the half legacy, half new gameplan wasn't working. At that stage you take steps along the following:
- Agree new gameplan
- Work out who fits who doesn't for the new gameplan
- Communicate to players and get buy in etc.
- Agree what can be worked on in 2024
- Re-focus on remainder of 2024 and 2025.
- That then includes list decisions, training, etc.

The above may not be the exact sequence or exactly how, but I believe something along those lines occurred.

Be good to see if your contact provides something/anything along those lines.

Training/details in coaches briefings/some elements of how we played all changed from that June/July period onwards, which to me indicates evidence of the change in approach.

To me there are other indicators of this change such as the terminology by players (i.e. Broad, Prestia etc.).

Reactions: 5 users
Agree. My guess is that in the mid year (June) review (the point we both alluded to earlier) the footy dept (coaches, S&C, Livo, etc.) realised 2024 was totally shot, the half legacy, half new gameplan wasn't working. At that stage you take steps along the following:
- Agree new gameplan
- Work out who fits who doesn't for the new gameplan
- Communicate to players and get buy in etc.
- Agree what can be worked on in 2024
- Re-focus on remainder of 2024 and 2025.
- That then includes list decisions, training, etc.

The above may not be the exact sequence or exactly how, but I believe something along those lines occurred.

Be good to see if your contact provides something/anything along those lines.

Training/details in coaches briefings/some elements of how we played all changed from that June/July period onwards, which to me indicates evidence of the change in approach.

To me there are other indicators of this change such as the terminology by players (i.e. Broad, Prestia etc.).
Yep. I think from what I've seen (not as much as yourself) and heard, that plays out reasonably consistently with my understanding.
Timing was, I think Rioli was always looking. He was on the GC in April(?) meeting Dimma. Bolton on the other hand seemed to back flip on his future post July. Baker was still 50-50 in July. Loves us, but money was amazing.

Sounds like there were some pretty abrupt changes in planning from the end of 2022 to Yze arrival.

We had Gale saying publicly that we wanted to refresh on the run like Geelong and not rebuild like Hawthorn (aged well that one). We also mortgaged our immediate future for Taranto and Hopper. I’m almost certain the sales pitch to those two didn’t involve two years of contending followed by 6-7 years of painful rebuilding to close out their careers.
6-7 year rebuild?
A conventional 6-7 yr rebuild takes 5-6 players drafted each year and hopes to build a team with 100 games each.
But its only 2 draftees each year top 20.
Most draftees are 40+ with low chance of afl careers.

Arent we aiming for 8 in the top 20 this year?
Joining Balta Gibcus Brown plus the current young role players.
Then 3 years to get them all to 60 games.
By 2028 we have a core of elite talent who are coming of age and know the gameplan.
Its not conventional

And cant players change their minds?
Being human and all
Of course they can. Im sure they probably have in some cases. It's easy to jump to a winning club rather than try rebuild one.
Saying our turnover is because Yze's a crap coach or we've suddenly got a cultural issue because some memorabilia got moved though suggests a lack of maturity in our list - Remember these were tiger men who had the best connection and culture in the league. But they are getting bent out of shape so bad, moving photos causes us to implode?
Folks (not you) need to go back and look at stuff like the Naismith farewell speech, where he talks about the vibe of the place being the best in his career, and saying it with enough emotion it sounds genuine.

Reactions: 6 users
Incorrect.
The players were told - straight from one of those seniors most impacted by this - that we were having one last roll of the dice. 2024 was not rebuild year, 25 was.

Yze taking photos off the wall was basically saying, you've had a 25 course banquet a week ago that was the best meal you've ever tasted. Time to get hungry again instead of looking at your instagram pictures of the same meal.
It was never stop being competitive. It was look forward and ask yourself, when do we dine again? If people don't like being challenged like that, should we keep em here?
Unfortunately some are too stuffed from the feast. They've become like me, and don't wanna go back to the gym and work it off.
Sorry i don't see it that way.All he had to do was tell the kids this is what your rewarded with for doing the hard work.No need to disrespect those who had done the hard work.You make it sound like the senior group were/are a bunch of bludgers.
You know our success was built on the hard work from those who went through the 09/17 period,Continued through from 17 to 22 for those lucky enough but still worked their butts off.
Your sounding like Yze.

6-7 year rebuild?
A conventional 6-7 yr rebuild takes 5-6 players drafted each year and hopes to build a team with 100 games each.
But its only 2 draftees each year top 20.
Most draftees are 40+ with low chance of afl careers.

Arent we aiming for 8 in the top 20 this year?
Joining Balta Gibcus Brown plus the current young role players.
Then 3 years to get them all to 60 games.
By 2028 we have a core of elite talent who are coming of age and know the gameplan.
Its not conventional
This

I don't know where this 6-7 year rebuild comes from? If we draft well I am expecting finals in 3-4 years. Remember we are a destination club and once the kids start showing stuff and the Tiger army gets up and about we will have players wanting to come to us again.

We aren't North Melbourne

Reactions: 1 user
I think the plan was definitely to rebuild on the run and remain competitive but our drafting wasn't good enough to support this. When it became apparent that our young talent wasn't up to it and it would require a long conventional rebuild the players that didn't want to play in a bottom team for a few years were let go. It's a fine line. Sydney drafted Rowbottom, McInnery, Warner and Roberts with picks after RCD, Dow, Ross and Sonsie. They are playing today and we won two games. You have got to nail your picks.