Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Yep same. Freo historically aren’t the best to do deal with.

I would give Bolton and Baker for picks 3 and 14.

Or pay Graham enough for us to get band 1. Then West Coast can keep pick 14 and take Baker and Bolton for pick 3.
Bolton & Baker & 32 for Pick 4 & 62on top of the Graham deal.
1/2/4/6/10/11/20/24

20/24 into F1sts

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So this has them paying for us to get pick 2 and then giving us all their picks... no chance. They need youngsters just as bad as we do.
West Coast are actually getting 2 premiership players with one (Bolton) young and talented enough to equal of any kid in this years draft.
They get Bolton/Baker keep pick 14 and we throw in a 2nd rnd pick to make it legit in the eyes of the afl.
Richmond-Pick 2 & 4
W/Cst-Bolton-Baker -32

Reactions: 1 user
1/2/4/6/10/11/20/24

20/24 into F1sts
Stacking our hand with top-end picks could throw up a list management conundrum.

If we were to, say, only take picks 1, 2, 4, 6, 10 and 11 to this draft, could that see us overpay for a tall?

Some are saying Armstrong belongs in or around the top 10. Tauru is shooting up the board. Trainor has dropped back dramatically due to health issues. Other than that, it looks like the Whitlocks are next in line, but both probably sit closer to late teens / early 20s.

In the above hypothetical, would a mix of Lalor (1), FOS (2), Smith/Draper (4), Langford/Smillie (6), Tauru (10) and Armstrong (11) make sense?

Or could picks 10 and 11 on talls be an unnecessary overreach?

Which means we turn Baker, Bolton and Graham into pick 2, 4 and 12

Isn't that actually turning Rioli, Baker, Bolton and Graham into 2, 4, and 12 because you're using pick 7?
True you are right :ROFLMAO:

I guess it turns out to be Bolton for 2, Rioli for 4 and Baker for 12. Reckon that's fair value maybe even slight overs for all 3. Graham is whatever, I wouldn't care if we gave him away for free.

1,2,4,12, 20 (Lions), 23 (possible Suns pick) would be our first rounders

vs the most likely scenario if we just trade normally

1,7,10,11, 20, 23

West Coast are actually getting 2 premiership players with one (Bolton) young and talented enough to equal of any kid in this years draft.
They get Bolton/Baker keep pick 14 and we throw in a 2nd rnd pick to make it legit in the eyes of the afl.
Richmond-Pick 2 & 4
W/Cst-Bolton-Baker -32
I just think there is no chance they go for that. They badly need some high end kids to come through with Reid. You'd be filthy as an eagles supporter giving up all your picks for some 26 year olds + paying for another team to get pick 2.

Stacking our hand with top-end picks could throw up a list management conundrum.

If we were to, say, only take picks 1, 2, 4, 6, 10 and 11 to this draft, could that see us overpay for a tall?

Some are saying Armstrong belongs in or around the top 10. Tauru is shooting up the board. Trainor has dropped back dramatically due to health issues. Other than that, it looks like the Whitlocks are next in line, but both probably sit closer to late teens / early 20s.

In the above hypothetical, would a mix of Lalor (1), FOS (2), Smith/Draper (4), Langford/Smillie (6), Tauru (10) and Armstrong (11) make sense?

Put it this way.I'd be more than happy to keep the latter picks if the right deal doesn't come along for us.
A f1 we'd have to be confident it would land us in the top 10 next year.
If it does eventuate and our last pick this year is 11 then i'd leave that to the draft experts.lol
Personally
1/-Fos
2/-Lalor
4/-Jagga
6/-Langford
10-Berry
11-Faull

Faull would be a reach but the bonus is the those before him and those next year.

At 10 & 11 (or whathaveyou) I'd be targeting the next tier mids with speed Allen, Lindsay, Hotton, Berry

For talls then look at Whitlocks and Faull.

imo Armstrong isnt a strong contested mark and isnt a preference over Ws and F

Reactions: 3 users
I'm all for ontrading 7
I think it misses the top rated mids and unlikely they slide to 7.

North and WC can push out 2 and 3 and still get what they want, so the incoming clubs take the top mids. No sliders.

Can we do this:
Trade out next year's first for pick 2 or 3 this year
Now before everyone goes never trade future picks, we are expecting to finish bottom 3 next year, we are just bringing the pick forward a year, so will get a similar rates player. But also we have balta as a free agent, so we can let him go and get a band 1 pick for him next year as well, so we will still get pick 2-5 next year.
We get everything a year earlier and get a big young squad coming through together.

Also saw something about Macca being a free agent this year, can we do anything with him to get band 1 or is he too old to trigger it?

• Dislike
I just think there is no chance they go for that. They badly need some high end kids to come through with Reid. You'd be filthy as an eagles supporter giving up all your picks for some 26 year olds + paying for another team to get pick 2.
As i said Shai is as good as any kid this year.Young enough for the eagles to get 10yrs out of him.
This years draft is so even their first pick under this trade(14) they end up with a very good kid along side Bolton & Bakes.
As another poster said West Coast would love to get yet another over Freo and stay top dog in the West.
And as Vito Corleone once said-Do me this favor. I won't forget it. Ask your friends in the neighborhood about me. They'll tell you I know how to return a favor.

Can we do this:
Trade out next year's first for pick 2 or 3 this year
Now before everyone goes never trade future picks, we are expecting to finish bottom 3 next year, we are just bringing the pick forward a year, so will get a similar rates player. But also we have balta as a free agent, so we can let him go and get a band 1 pick for him next year as well, so we will still get pick 2-5 next year.
We get everything a year earlier and get a big young squad coming through together.

Also saw something about Macca being a free agent this year, can we do anything with him to get band 1 or is he too old to trigger it?
No clear standout this year means its to big of a price to pay for something that could be much better next year.

1/2/4/6/10/11/20/24

20/24 into F1sts
I'm confused. Does this draft hand involve trading Bolton to WCE for pick 4 and Bolton to Freo for pick 10 and 11? If Blair can do this we should sign him up for another 20 years. Sorry, I don't get it.

Put it this way.I'd be more than happy to keep the latter picks if the right deal doesn't come along for us.
A f1 we'd have to be confident it would land us in the top 10 next year.
If it does eventuate and our last pick this year is 11 then i'd leave that to the draft experts.lol
Personally
1/-Fos
2/-Lalor
4/-Jagga
6/-Langford
10-Berry
11-Faull

Faull would be a reach but the bonus is the those before him and those next year.
I know there re question marks over Langford's athletic profile but he is all footballer, so smart, great overhead and below his knees and looks to me he will be a goal kicking mid. Looks a cross between Bont and Roughead!

I haven’t contributed much to draft conversations but I have read everything all you guys have discussed. My opinion or hope is that we do everything we can to obtain picks 2 & 3 to go along with our pick 1 and select FOS, Smith & Lalor. I cannot see that any of the 3 will become duds and more likely to be very good to great players. We need guns and these 3 are it. We will lose later picks but we will still have a good enough hand to pick a key position forward or two and a small forward with the depth of this draft. We will also have a decent draft hand next year. These 3 could easily go number 1 in previous years drafts apart from ones where there have been a standout like Harley Reid. I don’t know why but I would prefer this approach than to spread out our picks because no other club has ever had the opportunity to be able to have picks 1, 2 & 3 in a draft and I’m sure if any club were in a position to do so, they would do everything they can to make it happen. So why not let it be us to make it happen and dominate this draft. It doesn’t have to be FOS, Smith & Lalor. If the club thinks there is a better player or players to fill those positions I would back them in. So long as they pick the 3 best kids in the draft is all that counts.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep same. Freo historically aren’t the best to do deal with.

I would give Bolton and Baker for picks 3 and 14.

Or pay Graham enough for us to get band 1. Then West Coast can keep pick 14 and take Baker and Bolton for pick 3.

Although Freo is probably Shai's preferred destination I reckon Mini getting the WC job, Bake's joining and Matty Clarke there certainly would enhance the attractiveness to both parties.

**Note: Shai's best season was 2023 IMO, why?, because when Mini took over from Hardwick he played Shai a lot more midfield, (look at the numbers before and after 2023).

Mini would know that Shai ain't just a pigeon holed small forward.

Both Shai and Richmond have options and two competing forces are good :)

Shai Bolton Career​

SeasonNumMTTeamKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
20242922Richmond2189.91516.936916.8833.800572.61420341.526230161773.5
20232923Richmond31513.7185850021.7793.4007031923311.329215199786.8
20222923Richmond25611.11476.440317.5733.200482.11641431.941299166572.4
20212920Richmond20810.41859.339319.7824.100552.81326231.220158155377.7

I haven’t contributed much to draft conversations but I have read everything all you guys have discussed. My opinion or hope is that we do everything we can to obtain picks 2 & 3 to go along with our pick 1 and select FOS, Smith & Lalor. I cannot see that any of the 3 will become duds and more likely to be very good to great players. We need guns and these 3 are it. We will lose later picks but we will still have a good enough hand to pick a key position forward or two and a small forward with the depth of this draft. We will also have a decent draft hand next year. These 3 could easily go number 1 in previous years drafts apart from ones where there have been a standout like Harley Reid. I don’t know why but I would prefer this approach than to spread out our picks because no other club has ever had the opportunity to be able to have picks 1, 2 & 3 in a draft and I’m sure if any club were in a position to do so, they would do everything they can to make it happen. So why not let it be us to make it happen and dominate this draft. It doesn’t have to be FOS, Smith & Lalor. If the club thinks there is a better player or players to fill those positions I would back them in. So long as they pick the 3 best kids in the draft is all that counts.
Melbourne had pick 1 and 2 I believe once
Imagine if we get band 1 compo
After the Ashcroft bid, we could have 2-3-4-5
We would break the draft then next minit new rule change 🤣

Although Freo is probably Shai's preferred destination I reckon Mini getting the WC job, Bake's joining and Matty Clarke there certainly would enhance the attractiveness to both parties.

**Note: Shai's best season was 2023 IMO, why?, because when Mini took over from Hardwick he played Shai a lot more midfield, (look at the numbers before and after 2023).

Mini would know that Shai ain't just a pigeon holed small forward.

Both Shai and Richmond have options and two competing forces are good :)

Shai Bolton Career​

SeasonNumMTTeamKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
20242922Richmond2189.91516.936916.8833.800572.61420341.526230161773.5
20232923Richmond31513.7185850021.7793.4007031923311.329215199786.8
20222923Richmond25611.11476.440317.5733.200482.11641431.941299166572.4
20212920Richmond20810.41859.339319.7824.100552.81326231.220158155377.7
We certainly need to utilise WCE to keep Peter Bell on his shoes/accountable for a change. He's the type that doesn't budge and will hold onto their offer of 11 & 17 or whatever it is now.

Isn't it interesting, the both times Richmond win the spoon and are entitled to pick 1, we get screwed and end up with pick 2

Carlton getting a priority pick for krusier and now the lions matching Ashcroft

Don't think that's happened to any other club