Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Do you really think that Blair would give a stuff what the AFL media say about anything to do with our trading. I seriously doubt he'd consider anything those blockheads say/write/spew or fart to influence him. He's been in the business far too long.
A bit disingenuous to even suggest it H.

100%

"Oh noes the media said we are asking too much so we better back off".

We all agree houses are also overpriced but if you sell yours you want it to go for as high as possible.

Reactions: 6 users
The sense I get from Bolton & Rioli is that if they aren't traded, it won't be the end of the world for them. There doesn't seem to be a desperation to move that we often see around this time of year, like Oliver.

If at the end of this period we still have Rioli and Bolton on our books, I won't be disappointed. Blair needs to hold firm here. GCS and Freo need our boys a lot more than we need them.
100% don't give them away for nothing.
2 picks under 15 for Rioli
2 picks under 15 for Bolton
1 pick under 20 for Baker.

That's adequate compensation

Reactions: 1 users
Its a good deal for us, and a good deal for them. I'd be icing this one as soon as Monday starts
Longmuire and Bell would have to be 2 of the dumbest people in the game.
Bolton alone would have them pushing top 4, alongside Serong Brayshaw and Young.
If they don't get Bolton and miss the finals.
Cheesehead longmire sacked and I'm pretty sure the 14 Fremantle supporters will go after Bell.

FWIW I think the below trades are possible and take into account what we've heard out of the clubs involved.

Shai and 20 - For 10,11 and 30
Rioli, 51 and 61 - For 6 and 29

Even not allowing for Baker or other pick trades, it leaves us with: 1, 6, 10, 11, 24, 29, 30, 70 and 76. The important thing with the later 2, is both will come in significantly with the picks to disappear from the draft due to bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall. Not even allowing for the Campo twins, which would mean if we want we could match on

Baker we should get a pick somewhere between 12-18 from West Coast or Freo, or as mooted, a trade up to 3 which I'd prefer personally.

If WC did 3 for Bakes and 11 (not sure they would) but if they did that would leave us with a ripping hand. Some would say we came out short changed, but overall trading would have been good, maintained relationships with clubs when over the next few years we are more likely to be the aggressors in trades and hands us an almighty hand for the draft.

Probably 4-5 picks in the top 20 (with most of those in the top 10), then a couple of later picks for sliders in the 20's and finally keep the last 2 if we want our NGA kid basically for junk at the end of the draft.
Why Bolton plus pick 20??
He is a star, no need giving something back.
If they really want him, 2 picks under 15..work it out. Nothing coming back the other way either maybe pick 76

Reactions: 3 users
If I wake up on thurzdey morning and Bolton is still in a Richmond jumper, I will still be very happy.
He isn't 32 and he isn't on the decline.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I am aware freo don't have 5. I've stated about 50 bloody times I understand how the system works. And player value, like the value of anything, is not that subjective. It's based on measurable factors, age, achievements, stats etc etc. 10 and 11 is not a premium for freo, it's a discount.
Ok, ok, cool down the pump.

Don't agree that it's not subjective. It's very subjective as there are many variables that would dictate that decision, and value would be different for every club. I personally agree that 10 & 11 is not a discount, but some people do. There's your subjectiveness.

100% don't give them away for nothing.
2 picks under 15 for Rioli
2 picks under 15 for Bolton
1 pick under 20 for Baker.

That's adequate compensation
Already been offered that for Bolton & Baker. 2 under 15 won't happen for Rioli. 6 & 23 is current offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Surely all this stuff is already sorted and it’s all purely click bait rubbish for the AFL. Rioli was up having chats with the GC in April ffs!!

Rioli+20 for 6+13

Baker and Bolton to Freo for 10/11/18.

Package 10/11 for 2.

Picks - 1,2,6,13,18

Done.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I didn't say you were being disingenuous, settle down.

You say go back 4 years.
2020 draft, we had pick 20 and 26. Last in first round. It was a thin draft, we traded and Geelong got Holmes (as zips points out 2-3 times a week). Our draft intel was clearly wrong though with him. Not a lot of success stories thereafter though. Traded into 2021. Right strategy, I'd say. Execution of 21 draft needed.
2021: yep, bunch of picks inside 30. We all know the deal there. Right list strategy, bringing in 5 young ones in a deepish draft.
Strategy for the 21 draft was good but so far very little has furnished from it. Very much a hold on whether we executed the strategy well.
2022/23: these picks Elijah Hewitt and Max Gruzewski for Taranto (big tick)
Toby McMullin and Daniel Curtin for Hopper. We might have taken Caddy if we'd kept it rather than Curtin, but who knows, we can't be sure! At this stage, Hopper is in front of those players, even though he's been disappointing with us. The Hopper deal, long term, not looking good. But if you only look at the two players taken at those picks - strategy looks OK. On a risk basis, it was probably the right call. We wouldn't have expected all the injuries and the coach to bail.
Questionable is the clubs strategy to try eek out one more Premiership. You can see the reasons why we'd have tried, especially after the final in Brisbane. Injuries have made that strategy fail miserably. On paper though, we're better than our performance.
When did the strategy suddenly become " eek out one more flag " ? The strategy was to maintain the list in a continual finals chasing flags situation similar to The Moggies n Swans. Pretty much disintegrated in one year and we've reverted to maximum rebuild.
Blair doesn't set the club strategy. He plays his part in building towards it as you'd know, but if you've got a three time premiership coach saying "we go again, these guys are still responding to me" you don't undermine him and say "nah, we'll go to the draft." If you do that, might as well sack him. A club that doesn't support their coaches vision will surely implode.
So, is Blair horrible? No. The strategy - which the whole club needs to wear, including our ex-jump-the-sinking-ship-coach has backfired. I think in terms of what we'd be asking him to do, he gets a pass, but nowhere near an A grade.
Yeah but once the strategy changed, the first thing of note that Blair has managed is the Blind Freddy obvious of hand over all our mid tier picks to the champion team so they can secure the best kid in the draft n get even stronger. Cheap as chips deal for us that could have been kept to the last day of trade period while searching for better options.
Tim Livingstone on the other hand....he'd want to get our High Performance manager right, and hope to god Yze lifts. I'd have him as a fail since 2021, and he should be looking over his shoulders if we perform below expectations this year.
No disagreement from me here Livers-n-onions needs to extract the digit big time.

That's pretty much been on the table since first day of trade, only issue was Bakes wanting to go to Wet Coke rather than the Frockers.

Kinda weird when his chances at another flag run are available now at the Frockers whereas he'll be trying to help Wet Coke lift their raggedy arses out of the ditch n back onto the road for a few years before even considering finals.

This is the bit that worries me. Can/will Freo match whatever deal WC put in front of Baker?

Given he’s out of contract, the club doesn’t have much leverage to push him to a potentially disadvantageous deal at Freo.
West Coast havn’t recruited an experienced player of Baker’s quality for some time.
I don’t mind the Freo offer but there other forces at play here which imo makes the pick 3 split more likely.

Why would GWS trade 15 for our F2, which will likely be around 28-30 after Academy, NGA and father sons Dell Boy?
Plus the Giants have been very quiet I expect them to do something with their 3 picks 15,16 and 21 to get a lower pick this year and maybe a future something next year., IMO they don't need to trade in anyone of note, (ie Stringer :rolleyes:), during the trade period so won't need to give up draft capital,

When trade period ends clubs are able to still exclusively trade draft picks up until and during the draft period.

Reactions: 2 users
Strategy for the 21 draft was good but so far very little has furnished from it. Very much a hold on whether we executed the strategy well.

When did the strategy suddenly become " eek out one more flag " ? The strategy was to maintain the list in a continual finals chasing flags situation similar to The Moggies n Swans. Pretty much disintegrated in one year and we've reverted to maximum rebuild.

Yeah but once the strategy changed, the first thing of note that Blair has managed is the Blind Freddy obvious of hand over all our mid tier picks to the champion team so they can secure the best kid in the draft n get even stronger. Cheap as chips deal for us that could have been kept to the last day of trade period while searching for better options.

Except other clubs either singly or combined could have given the Brions another package of late picks so they get what they need and we are left holding late picks that are of no value to us. And we miss out on 20.

This is ehy we probably "gave up" 32 - likely we had to beat another offer to shift those picks and secure pick 20.

The idea that you just play trade hardball all the time is only attractive to morons.

The hilarious thing about all these critiques of this trade is that it's assumed every other club just waits politely for us to decide what we want to do.

It's like other clubs and trade managers dont exist in this fantasy view of the world.

Reactions: 6 users
A pick around 18-22 has many results.
Daniel Kerr. Kane kornes. David Mundy.
Shane Grigg. Alex Rance. Scott Selwood.
Luke Shuey. Nathan Fyfe. Isaac Smith.
Mitch Wallis. Tom Mitchell. Brodie Grundy. Blake Acres. Issac Heeney.
Ben mckay. Jade Gresham. Sam pepper Powell. Oscar Allan Sam De koning.
Mitch Georgiades. Max Holmes.
We purchased this opportunity that later picks havnt got.

A pick around 18-22 has many results.
Daniel Kerr. Kane kornes. David Mundy.
Shane Grigg. Alex Rance. Scott Selwood.
Luke Shuey. Nathan Fyfe. Isaac Smith.
Mitch Wallis. Tom Mitchell. Brodie Grundy. Blake Acres. Issac Heeney.
Ben mckay. Jade Gresham. Sam pepper Powell. Oscar Allan Sam De koning.
Mitch Georgiades. Max Holmes.
We purchased this opportunity that later picks havnt got.
I reckon if you brought up pick 6’s history it would not look as good as that ha ha

Reactions: 3 users