Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

10 and 11 or 12 and 13 or whatever it is is unders for shai, not massive back-up-the-chook-*smile* unders, but unders. The price for me is say 5 and 10. The hive mind seems to think it's top dollar, but it isn't. It's a great deal for freo, and an ok deal for us, yet it's being framed as the opposite. 10 and 11 should be our bottom line.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
10 and 11 or 12 and 13 or whatever it is is unders for shai, not massive back-up-the-chook-*smile* unders, but unders. The price for me is say 5 and 10. The hive mind seems to think it's top dollar, but it isn't. It's a great deal for freo, and an ok deal for us, yet it's being framed as the opposite. 10 and 11 should be our bottom line.
Freo don't have pick 5. Have to work with what's available or realistically possible. Reckon there's going to be some pretty good options at 10 and 11.

Reactions: 4 users
I’ve yet to read where anyone has called him a moron.
But you’re incorrect, as I stated before the key planks to our premiership were already on our list before Hartley came to Richmond.
Did he make a contribution to our success. Yes of course he did. Did he build the list, no he didn’t. Talk about rewriting history or not knowing facts.

And we’re entitled to question why if we want to. It’s not just saying “we should have kept these picks” or “blah blah blah” but if any of can see we had another way of achieving the same result in a different manner. We are able to question WHY?
Some of the rhetoric around the fact we can’t question a decision is woeful. It’s like when posters on here question why a player like JON was selected. Or Batchelor before Parker. There are plenty of decisions that get questioned.
And seeing it’s a supporter forum and a trade thread we’re in the right place todo it.

Once again, who has called him a moron?
There’s no hissy fit from me, I said judgement time should be at the end of the trade period.

I’ve just queried why we overpaid nearly 800 points for what will be a middling pick. And the picks we could have used will be diluted in value if we can swap them with another club. Or .They might slide a few spots forwards with other bids.
But there’s a way to go yet. Judgement on Blair’s performance will be had if we get very good deals for our wantaways.
Nobody called him a moron it’s just the strawman mentality that goes on when someone makes a constructive criticism of a Richmond FD member or player. Blair has actually been a fail in my opinion as he never won a final before Balme arrived and hasn’t won one since he left his major role . His record of big trades before and after Balme have been diabolical and as some posters have said he’s way overrated and why we’ve stagnated to where we are . Clarke was also trash as his picks have mainly been busts . There’s no argument against this as the results say it all.
You take out the Lids trade , Vickery trade, Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy , Lynch and getting Bolton for Vickery we simply don’t win any premierships. Blair Hartley could never entice any guns to come to us as we weren’t a destination club , yet Balme walked into the place even after finishing poorly, players came to us bc of his expertise and honourable reputation with experience in the industry.
The Blair Hartley myth of him being some great in the industry needs to stop as he was lucky our jets came in before he arrived at the club and that Balme made the right trades when we needed them. Had Balme not arrived in 16 ends we would've plateaued to nothing under Blair and Clarke as they wouldn’t have been able to get those trades done. He’s been found out with his last three major trades where he’s paid overs in all three. He also made a big mess for Balme with the Yarran trade.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Correct. But the media is doing all it can to water this down. Blair better not accept 11 and 18 would rather keep Shai as he's a match winner and if Freo don't value that they can *smile* off. Same with Rioli the media have watered him down so much that pick 6 alone is now being labelled os overs. The media can *smile* off and my fear is Blair will buckle due to their constant degrading of our players.

Reactions: 5 users
FWIW I think the below trades are possible and take into account what we've heard out of the clubs involved.

Shai and 20 - For 10,11 and 30
Rioli, 51 and 61 - For 6 and 29

Even not allowing for Baker or other pick trades, it leaves us with: 1, 6, 10, 11, 24, 29, 30, 70 and 76. The important thing with the later 2, is both will come in significantly with the picks to disappear from the draft due to bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall. Not even allowing for the Campo twins, which would mean if we want we could match on

Baker we should get a pick somewhere between 12-18 from West Coast or Freo, or as mooted, a trade up to 3 which I'd prefer personally.

If WC did 3 for Bakes and 11 (not sure they would) but if they did that would leave us with a ripping hand. Some would say we came out short changed, but overall trading would have been good, maintained relationships with clubs when over the next few years we are more likely to be the aggressors in trades and hands us an almighty hand for the draft.

Probably 4-5 picks in the top 20 (with most of those in the top 10), then a couple of later picks for sliders in the 20's and finally keep the last 2 if we want our NGA kid basically for junk at the end of the draft.

Its a good deal for us, and a good deal for them. I'd be icing this one as soon as Monday starts

Agree and unless weagles can do some quick moves I reckon/hope this goes through.

We can’t really expect the maximum trade in our favour ie 10,11 and 14 for the two of them so it’s a win/win really.

Reactions: 1 users
The Prestia trade was in play at least a year minimum before Balme got to Richmond

Reactions: 8 users
The Prestia trade was in play at least a year minimum before Balme got to Richmond
It still needed to happen. As we are all aware a lot of trades are on the cards early on, but you still need the person to execute it.
Balme was the catalyst bc he was genuinely respected in the industry. Players and managers respect him highly.
Hartley had no runs on the board up to 2016 and Yarran was the evidence of how incredibly incompetent he was in his role.
He’s still got no runs on the board as he hasn’t actually achieved a decent trade or even a finals win without Balme.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Pick 3....Blair would be all over it. Come to us you big beautiful thing!! 😍

Freo don't have pick 5. Have to work with what's available or realistically possible. Reckon there's going to be some pretty good options at 10 and 11.
I get that, i have a firm grasp of how the system works. My beef is that 10 and 11 is not overs for us as the hive mind is portraying.

It still needed to happen. As we are all aware a lot of trades are on the cards early on, but you still need the person to execute it.
Balme was the catalyst bc he was genuinely respected in the industry. Players and managers respect him highly.
Hartley had no runs on the board up to 2016 and Yarran was the evidence of how incredibly incompetent he was in his role.
He’s still got no runs on the board as he hasn’t actually achieved a decent trade or even a finals win without Balme.
How about Grigg and Houli? They any good? I guess not until touched by the hand of Balme did they win premierships... Funny thing premiership windows, the only person that can open them is Neil Balme?? But they don't build themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand the angst about giving up pick 32. But, I suspect that Brisbane had other suitors for pick 20 and insisted that if they couldn't get 32 they would go elsewhere. Hartley is no idiot, he would have taken the deal given the context of other offers Brisbane would have been considering.

As for the story above about the offer of 10, 11 and 18 for both Shai and Baker, I would take that, it is a good deal and helps both teams. I can't see any reason why Baker would be upset, he gets to go home and with the inclusion of Shai and himself Freo look more competitive. Good for Freo too as Shai would suit them, he is a far better player in a good side. Baker would add to their team nicely too. If we have to pay part of the salary of Shai to get Bakes the money he wants then I'd be for it - doubt we will be struggling to fit under the salary cap for the next couple of years.

Rioli we should play hard ball. I reckon 6 and 23 if we must, but keep pushing for 6 and 13. How could Rioli be upset at staying at Richmond, he gets to keep playing with his uncle.

As for the media beat-ups, they are beyond irrelevant. They have no say in this and the clubs know it is all clickbait garbage. The more we ignore the incompetent AFL excuse for media the better.

DS

Reactions: 16 users
How about Grigg and Houli? They any good? I guess not until touched by the hand of Balme did they win premierships... Funny thing premiership windows, the only person that can open them is Neil Balme?? But they don't build themselves.
They were his bargain basement deals which I said in previous posts he was successful at. Ivan Maric as well, but when he needed to do a big deal he’s failed in every single one of them.

Love how Blair is brutalising his way to the top end of the draft.

Mowing inept list managers down like he’s mowing the lawn

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I get that, i have a firm grasp of how the system works. My beef is that 10 and 11 is not overs for us as the hive mind is portraying.
People have differing opinions, it's very subjective this trading game. (not to mention bias views depending on who you go for) . In the end all that matters is what can happen and pick #5 from Freo cannot and that's who we're dealing with. Far more influential to success is who you pick.

Correct. But the media is doing all it can to water this down. Blair better not accept 11 and 18 would rather keep Shai as he's a match winner and if Freo don't value that they can *smile* off. Same with Rioli the media have watered him down so much that pick 6 alone is now being labelled os overs. The media can *smile* off and my fear is Blair will buckle due to their constant degrading of our players.

Do you really think that Blair would give a stuff what the AFL media say about anything to do with our trading. I seriously doubt he'd consider anything those blockheads say/write/spew or fart to influence him. He's been in the business far too long.
A bit disingenuous to even suggest it H.