Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Nah mate this has been in the works for months at least. They want out.

Well they aren't too vocal about it, which is good. But if this means GCS and Freo have given them assurances that they'll be moving, then that puts more pressure on the clubs to meet Blair's price.

Reactions: 2 users
FWIW I think the below trades are possible and take into account what we've heard out of the clubs involved.

Shai and 20 - For 10,11 and 30
Rioli, 51 and 61 - For 6 and 29

Even not allowing for Baker or other pick trades, it leaves us with: 1, 6, 10, 11, 24, 29, 30, 70 and 76. The important thing with the later 2, is both will come in significantly with the picks to disappear from the draft due to bids on Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and Marshall. Not even allowing for the Campo twins, which would mean if we want we could match on

Baker we should get a pick somewhere between 12-18 from West Coast or Freo, or as mooted, a trade up to 3 which I'd prefer personally.

If WC did 3 for Bakes and 11 (not sure they would) but if they did that would leave us with a ripping hand. Some would say we came out short changed, but overall trading would have been good, maintained relationships with clubs when over the next few years we are more likely to be the aggressors in trades and hands us an almighty hand for the draft.

Probably 4-5 picks in the top 20 (with most of those in the top 10), then a couple of later picks for sliders in the 20's and finally keep the last 2 if we want our NGA kid basically for junk at the end of the draft.
Why da fug do we have to swap 20? Stuff that.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure about selling all our 1st round picks to do it but I am all for getting to the pointy end of the draft with 3 picks this year and loading up on elite mids.

I’d love 1, 2 and 3 but 1,2 and 6 would be awesome as well. I sense that we may need 1 and 2 to get our 2 main targets which appears to be Lalor and FOS.

You need good players all through a team to win a flag but you also need 3-4 elite ones. If we can achieve that in 2024-25 it would be awesome.

The thing missing for me is that we also need KPFs. Somewhere in this mix we have to find at least one long term quality tall forward.
Said many times we shud go with both Whitlock twins..

T
This is the bit that worries me. Can/will Freo match whatever deal WC put in front of Baker?

Given he’s out of contract, the club doesn’t have much leverage to push him to a potentially disadvantageous deal at Freo.
Right now West Coast aren’t in the conversation. Freo has the upper hand.

I wouldn’t accept 18 for Baker from Freo. Watch pies get a low 20 pick for Noble who they don’t rate, sent to the VFL, and was behind Markov.

Reactions: 5 users
I understand the angst about giving up pick 32. But, I suspect that Brisbane had other suitors for pick 20 and insisted that if they couldn't get 32 they would go elsewhere. Hartley is no idiot, he would have taken the deal given the context of other offers Brisbane would have been considering.

As for the story above about the offer of 10, 11 and 18 for both Shai and Baker, I would take that, it is a good deal and helps both teams. I can't see any reason why Baker would be upset, he gets to go home and with the inclusion of Shai and himself Freo look more competitive. Good for Freo too as Shai would suit them, he is a far better player in a good side. Baker would add to their team nicely too. If we have to pay part of the salary of Shai to get Bakes the money he wants then I'd be for it - doubt we will be struggling to fit under the salary cap for the next couple of years.

Rioli we should play hard ball. I reckon 6 and 23 if we must, but keep pushing for 6 and 13. How could Rioli be upset at staying at Richmond, he gets to keep playing with his uncle.

As for the media beat-ups, they are beyond irrelevant. They have no say in this and the clubs know it is all clickbait garbage. The more we ignore the incompetent AFL excuse for media the better.

DS
Spot on. My caveat would be if Baker or Rioli/Suns start stuffing us around (or Bolton for that matter), then all bets are off.

Rioli can stay & Baker either goes to West Coast on a favourable deal for us or he stays with us for another year minimum. If he’s so petulant to go into pre-season draft, we re-draft him.

Reactions: 1 user
The sense I get from Bolton & Rioli is that if they aren't traded, it won't be the end of the world for them. There doesn't seem to be a desperation to move that we often see around this time of year, like Oliver.

If at the end of this period we still have Rioli and Bolton on our books, I won't be disappointed. Blair needs to hold firm here. GCS and Freo need our boys a lot more than we need them.
They'll be traded, otherwise we would have kept those 2nd and 3rd round picks we sent to Brisbane.

Bakes still needs to agree to go to Freo and sign a contract suitable to him.

Without that, any talk of him being traded there is moot.
I get that. But the club he wants to go to have zero leverage. He has 2 options. 1. Get his wish and play in home state for Freo. Or 2. get ready for Preseason back at Punt Road.

I get that. But the club he wants to go to have zero leverage. He has 2 options. 1. Get his wish and play in home state for Freo. Or 2. get ready for Preseason back at Punt Road.

As you say, he needs to agree terms with Freo first.

Only way he needs to think about a pre-season with us, is he signs a contract, or puts a price on himself in national or pre-season draft and we take him. Very unlikely.

He'll still get his way to West Coast.

Reactions: 1 users
Could we trade for giants 15?
Say our f2.
Then we package up with the Rioli or Bolton picks, hopefully 10 but possibly 6.

So then ontrade 15 and 10 with north for 2.

North get Tauru and a sliding Trainor (exactly what they want).
Giants still have 2 firsts this year and enhance next year.

We get FOS.

And we've spent a 2nd rounder and half a Rioli to do it.
Thoughts?

Could we trade for giants 15?
Say our f2.
Then we package up with the Rioli or Bolton picks, hopefully 10 but possibly 6.

So then ontrade 15 and 10 with north for 2.

North get Tauru and a sliding Trainor (exactly what they want).
Giants still have 2 firsts this year and enhance next year.

We get FOS.

And we've spent a 2nd rounder and half a Rioli to do it.
Thoughts?

Why would GWS trade 15 for our F2, which will likely be around 28-30 after Academy, NGA and father sons Dell Boy?

Reactions: 4 users
Is Rosa at bumberland spooked?
Big risk Kako goes early and spoils their pick 9.

Could we trade 6 (rioli) for 9 and their future 1st.

Bummers get 6 and Kako.
We slip back and still take Lindsay and get another low pick next year.

Why would GWS trade 15 for our F2, which will likely be around 28-30 after Academy, NGA and father sons Dell Boy?
Next years 19 will be roughly 25.
And 15 pushes out to 20 this year

I guess they might have academy kids to consider next year.
Guess it doesnt work for them so much

People have differing opinions, it's very subjective this trading game. (not to mention bias views depending on who you go for) . In the end all that matters is what can happen and pick #5 from Freo cannot and that's who we're dealing with. Far more influential to success is who you pick.
I am aware freo don't have 5. I've stated about 50 bloody times I understand how the system works. And player value, like the value of anything, is not that subjective. It's based on measurable factors, age, achievements, stats etc etc. 10 and 11 is not a premium for freo, it's a discount.