Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

In Blair we trust.

Wednesday is the day we get the deals we want.

Gold Coast don't have an Elite running back. forget Nobel he doesn't cut it as Elite. Hardwick is desperate for an Elite Running back - Rioli is it.
Come lunch time Wednesday we will get pick 6 & 13. or equivalent. They have no other option. We already have him and can walk away from the deal.

Freo have no elite small forward - we have Bolton who is not only Elite small forward also an elite clearance mid.
10,11 & 18 come Lunch time Wednesday they give us the 3 if we hold out.

On Wednesday where do GC get an elite running back from? too late - Pay up!!

On Wednesday where do Freo get an elite small forward/mid from? nowhere - Pay up.

The art of the deal is to know what the deadline is. The Japanese when negotiating with Americans would always find out when the Americans plane was leaving. They would play golf, have dinners, go sightseeing and never talk business until the last day.
Will powell is a very good running back who has been reported to make a move into the centre to bolster the kicking skills of the mid field group.

This creates a need for a Elite running back hence the interest in Rioli

Reactions: 1 user
The sense I get from Bolton & Rioli is that if they aren't traded, it won't be the end of the world for them. There doesn't seem to be a desperation to move that we often see around this time of year, like Oliver.

If at the end of this period we still have Rioli and Bolton on our books, I won't be disappointed. Blair needs to hold firm here. GCS and Freo need our boys a lot more than we need them.

Reactions: 14 users
I don’t know why you post who other clubs selected. There’s no guarantee we would have picked the same.

Nothing to do with what I posted

To a degree you’re right. But Blair is employed by the club, not the coach. As List Manager it’s his vision to set the tone for the future. Not just the now. His and the Recruiters need to have that vision to plan for this year, the next and possibly the next.
If you only react and plan for for the now. You’ll fail down the track. I doubt Hopper was ever going to be in the plan with Taranto, until trade week came about.
I highlighted the picks other clubs took, because it's an indication of where his head would have been at. Are we looking at a good draft with high value picks likely at our estimated position or not? It's a risk taking crystal ball approach, but you need to work out whether the immediate trade off will be likely better than the long term trade off. Of course we might have taken others, I said we might have taken Caddy, who knows to acknowledge that.
But if we're trying to gauge the thought process behind the strategic, the strategy wasn’t flawed. Generally weak drafts, which we were expecting to be at the back end of. It failed, but you've got to swing hard if you want home runs. No pointing trying to bunt a home run.
We allowed ourselves that by taking a larger amount of high end picks in 2021. That's Blair giving an eye to the future not just the now.

People in this thread (not necessarily you) are basically sayi g the guy is hopeless, had little say in our dynasty list build (bunkum), and basically his head should be on the chopping block because he gave up an extra pick in a trade early in trade week. It's borderline irrational, hysteria.
Watch what happens when if we do trade Rioli and Bolton. Prediction: He won't have gotten enough and been screwed over. (Expecting all trades to all go our way with no compromises is minimum expectation around here by many).
And if we keep them because we were getting screwed, he'll have killed our big rebound by failing to find a trade and kept players who wanted to leave.
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Reactions: 2 users
Now here is a journo who is finally talking sense:

Yes - I smiled when I read that.

So to extrapolate the Freo 10, 11 and 18 for Baker and Bolton as is also suggested on that site - that is a comprise for us ie 18 for Baker instead of the 14 we were happy with from the Dawks or a comprise for Shai 10 and 18 instead of 10 and 11 which is offset by a slight upgrade on Baker from 14 to 11.

The other benefit for heaveho is the bragging rights they get over the weagles, they get baker for 18 whilst the weagles missed out with a better pick of 14 they couldn’t secure.

I would now be happy with those three picks.

Reactions: 4 users
The sense I get from Bolton & Rioli is that if they aren't traded, it won't be the end of the world for them. There doesn't seem to be a desperation to move that we often see around this time of year, like Oliver.

If at the end of this period we still have Rioli and Bolton on our books, I won't be disappointed. Blair needs to hold firm here. GCS and Freo need our boys a lot more than we need them.
Yep, I'm sure I read they asked to be traded to whatever is best for the club.

Does anybody else feel like we can set up our midfield for the next 12 years if we can grab pick 2 to go with pick 1 and then next year we will have pick 1 again most likely fos lalor and the best mid next year. Id happily sell all our first rd picks if we can get 1, 2 and 3. Top end talent is hard to get! Make it happen blair

Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody else feel like we can set up our midfield for the next 12 years if we can grab pick 2 to go with pick 1 and then next year we will have pick 1 again most likely fos lalor and the best mid next year. Id happily sell all our first rd picks if we can get 1, 2 and 3. Top end talent is hard to get! Make it happen blair
Not sure about selling all our 1st round picks to do it but I am all for getting to the pointy end of the draft with 3 picks this year and loading up on elite mids.

I’d love 1, 2 and 3 but 1,2 and 6 would be awesome as well. I sense that we may need 1 and 2 to get our 2 main targets which appears to be Lalor and FOS.

You need good players all through a team to win a flag but you also need 3-4 elite ones. If we can achieve that in 2024-25 it would be awesome.

The thing missing for me is that we also need KPFs. Somewhere in this mix we have to find at least one long term quality tall forward.

Reactions: 5 users
Hmmm let me see, Blair Hartley Professional AFL List Manger, known throughout the industry as one of the best going around.
Or some unknown posters on a fan forum website saying he doesn't know what he's doing.

I know who I'd put my money on.

Patience folks there's still a lot to play out yet.
It really is amazing how many posters think the bloke that built a 3 premiership list is a moron. They are saying things like 'we should have kept the picks for this' 'could have done blah blah blah' like a professional list manager wouldn't have considered the permutations himself and they only are smart enough to think of them. FMD, he might not get everything right but the bloke is clearly not a moron. Let it play out then have a hissy fit in hindsight, that's the PRE way.

Reactions: 12 users
Tough reading on this thread.Suggestions as follows:

Not needed from the draft. One handed marker. Got one.

Kickers to opposition. Got plenty.

Soft tacklers. Vacancies filled.

Low scoring forwards.Could use a couple more to maintain the under 60 points scoring average. Join the queue.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It really is amazing how many posters think the bloke that built a 3 premiership list is a moron. They are saying things like 'we should have kept the picks for this' 'could have done blah blah blah' like a professional list manager wouldn't have considered the permutations himself and they only are smart enough to think of them. FMD, he might not get everything right but the bloke is clearly not a moron. Let it play out then have a hissy fit in hindsight, that's the PRE way.
The other thing is forgetting that there are two sides to every deal and of course human beings are involved.

No chance of 6 and 13, lucky to get 6 and 23. The media have made sure of that. The only way was to offer a draft pick sweetener but Blair *smile* that up.

We could get 1 2 3

pick 3 - Baker & 10

pick 2 - Pick 6 & 11 (or 13)

Could leave us with 1,2,3, 18, 20, 24

Reactions: 2 users
For me it's what we do after pick 1 can we pick the brains out of the draft that's why recruiters get payed for. Need to nail those picks. Non negotiable is kicking . We need some elite speed to.

I highlighted the picks other clubs took, because it's an indication of where his head would have been at. Are we looking at a good draft with high value picks likely at our estimated position or not? It's a risk taking crystal ball approach, but you need to work out whether the immediate trade off will be likely better than the long term trade off. Of course we might have taken others, I said we might have taken Caddy, who knows to acknowledge that.
But if we're trying to gauge the thought process behind the strategic, the strategy wasn’t flawed. Generally weak drafts, which we were expecting to be at the back end of. It failed, but you've got to swing hard if you want home runs. No pointing trying to bunt a home run.
We allowed ourselves that by taking a larger amount of high end picks in 2021. That's Blair giving an eye to the future not just the now.

People in this thread (not necessarily you) are basically sayi g the guy is hopeless, had little say in our dynasty list build (bunkum), and basically his head should be on the chopping block because he gave up an extra pick in a trade early in trade week. It's borderline irrational, hysteria.
Watch what happens when if we do trade Rioli and Bolton. Prediction: He won't have gotten enough and been screwed over. (Expecting all trades to all go our way with no compromises is minimum expectation around here by many).
And if we keep them because we were getting screwed, he'll have killed our big rebound by failing to find a trade and kept players who wanted to leave.
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.
Long reply so I’ll answer what I referred to.
I know some have doubted Harley’s worth. But I’m not one, I’ve acknowledged his contribution to our premiership years.
It wasn’t just him as we know, but he was part of a team. Some of the key premiership players were already on our list before he arrived, as I posted. But he still contributed. Back then he had a different role and title.

Since then though,has he replicated or improved our list? He was aware that Astbury, Edwards, Rance, Edwards, Cotchin , Riewoldt, Grimes, Martin were among those coming towards the end of their career.

Now I know he could never replace like for like with the draft hands he was presented with. But as I said, between he and Clarke and their decisions haven’t left us in a very good position.
If people want to argue that fact, good on them. But the fact remains we are where we are. We’re far worse off than we were 3 years ago and heading for another low finish. Could they have drafted better when we had all those picks before 30? Possibly.

But I will reiterate the point I was making again.
In return for pick 20 I believe we overpaid. An extra nearly 800 points. By including our pick 32, when nearly the same points could have been garnered by using our latter picks and us keeping pick 32.
That is it in a nutshell. Use pick 32 or the other later picks and get rid of them.

Can people try to understand that concept? Without adding all the rest of Blair’s past history into it.
Unless those latter picks are earmarked for another deal or the overly generous pick swap with Brisbane is a sweetener for something else involving Brisbane, I believe it’s a waste. My opinion.

So if anyone wants to argue that point, fine. But leave out Blair’s past history, what picks other clubs made and all the rest of it.

I believe we overpaid that deal if we haven’t got something else in mind. Otherwise those later picks will be watered down or worthless.

You can’t then tell me the whole strategy of stockpiling all those picks was to get one pick that will probably blow out to pick 24 or 25.
Because that would be a pile of *smile*.
But let’s see it through to the end before we can actually judge the pick trading. Something I stated in my original post.

Reactions: 3 users
51 and 61 = 394 points. 10 = 1,395 points.

Come on Harry, you aren't that stupid. You know I meant with the picks they already have after 29, because you know what I've already stated on here just an hour or so before that post that you quoted.

Yeah it is a balanced take. The price is high, probably too high, but he is a contracted player and Richmond has every right to demand a high price. Freo can’t afford to not get Bolton.

100% the position.

Compromise? I was wondering about something like Bolton and 20 for 10,11 and 30. Perhaps the reason we did the 20 deal early.

I could live with that trade too Sin, and its positive in that it gives Freo a 2nd 1st out of it, but also gives us those prized higher pics.

Freo can either take those picks to the draft or look to sell 2 1sts in this years draft for a future 1, or spread the risk and send 1 into 2025 and give them extra picks to potentially get Warner.

Thats probably the likely outcome.

Freo want 10 and 18
Tiges want 10 and 11 so it'll probably end up somewhere in the middle, and I like the use of 20, doing 20 for 30 is a loss in points of just under 300 points, but worth way more to Freo than if we gave them that equivalent points value pick (Pick 49). Another reason why those that are jacking off themselves over points value are wrong. Its an indication of value, but thats it unless you need them for matching.

Nah mate this has been in the works for months at least. They want out.

It really is amazing how many posters think the bloke that built a 3 premiership list is a moron.
I’ve yet to read where anyone has called him a moron.
But you’re incorrect, as I stated before the key planks to our premiership were already on our list before Hartley came to Richmond.
Did he make a contribution to our success. Yes of course he did. Did he build the list, no he didn’t. Talk about rewriting history or not knowing facts.
They are saying things like 'we should have kept the picks for this' 'could have done blah blah blah' like a professional list manager wouldn't have considered the permutations himself and they only are smart enough to think of them.
And we’re entitled to question why if we want to. It’s not just saying “we should have kept these picks” or “blah blah blah” but if any of can see we had another way of achieving the same result in a different manner. We are able to question WHY?
Some of the rhetoric around the fact we can’t question a decision is woeful. It’s like when posters on here question why a player like JON was selected. Or Batchelor before Parker. There are plenty of decisions that get questioned.
And seeing it’s a supporter forum and a trade thread we’re in the right place todo it.
FMD, he might not get everything right but the bloke is clearly not a moron. Let it play out then have a hissy fit in hindsight, that's the PRE way.
Once again, who has called him a moron?
There’s no hissy fit from me, I said judgement time should be at the end of the trade period.

I’ve just queried why we overpaid nearly 800 points for what will be a middling pick. And the picks we could have used will be diluted in value if we can swap them with another club. Or .They might slide a few spots forwards with other bids.
But there’s a way to go yet. Judgement on Blair’s performance will be had if we get very good deals for our wantaways.