Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Carltoon might be our saviour here. They're not getting Houston, right? But they have 12 & 14 and are rumoured to be considering swapping them for West Coast's pick 3. That would deliver us 12 or 14 for Bakes, and make getting pick 2 considerably easier.

Reactions: 5 users
That's kinda just the two separate deals though, Mr Chips. 10, 11, 18 for Baker and Bolton and 6, 13 for Rioli.

I think it's perfectly credible that we're not after pick 3. It's no good to us. Not for what it'd cost. Because in this 'even draft' we have determined that of the players available to us, two stand out: FOS and Lalor. Pick 3 would get us Jagga, Langford or Draper. We can get one of them at 6. And if we don't have 6 because we've given it to get 2, then we'll have FOS and Lalor and will happily take two of Berry, Lindsay et al than trading two picks to secure one of Jagga and co.

10 & 11 is not too high, Sin. His value is pick 3. Could you swap 10 & 11 for 3 in this draft? Maybe. You couldn't swap 10 & 18 for it.

Nepo Walls is refusing to release both 10 & 11 because he wants Bo Allan. He better work out who he wants more: Allan or Shai because Blair is not *smile* around. The price is the price or we keep him. At least that's his posturing. And I hope his steel.

On the pick 13 hunt, of course the other player is Collingwood, FOMO in club form. They simply have to be in on everything, like a 5-year-old. Their offer of Noble and F1 for 13 and 23 is the ambit one. Laughably so. They'll see sense if they want Houston enough. Are they his choice of the day? They might beat us and Melbourne to 13. That'd hurt Melbourne more than us, unless Rosa panics.

Then there's Hawthorn. They're not throwing lines in the water, they're chucking spanners. Trying to stun everyone. It’s a bold strategy, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off for 'em.
You are dead right about not wanting pick 3. It’s pick 2 or nothing. We know 2 picks in the top dozen will get the job done.

There will be a lot of strained relationships after this trade period. Player managers have already got their nose out of joint with Hawks and West Coast.

At the end of the day we don’t need to do anything but wait and see. The media think we need to go ahead with our fire sale. But as we know they are all idiots. If we don’t get the deal we want, Tim rings ups Shai and Danny and gives them fheir preseason programs. Whilst Craig Cameron has Dimmas foot up his arse and Mr Personality Longmuir is wondering whether he has a job at the end of next year..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Blair is after 6 and 13 from Gold Coast. This is not ambit. It's what's needed to trade for pick 2 and secure both Lalor and FOS.

Melbourne also want pick 2, definitely to get FOS if we don't take him at 1, and probably to get Lalor otherwise.

As Jack deduced, Jason Taylor almost certainly fed Mark McGowan the possibility he'd bid on Kako at 5. It spooked Essendon's Matt Rosa and he tried to trade up. He couldn't, and now Taylor is offering to do him a favour and take pick 9 off his hands, presumably for the pick 28 and future first he's also offering Craig Cameron for 13. He'll do the deal with whoever jumps first and pass the picks to Willy T for the prized number 2.

They say if you're sitting at the poker table and don't know who the fish is, it's you. Rosa has already gone for the burley. Does he have the experience to understand the shiny bit of that new worm is a hook? Let's hope.

Cameron has been hooked and thrown back so many times over the years he's probably been kissed by Rex Hunt. (Clarke doesn't even notice the bait because he's too busy nom-nomming the Lay's that fell from the packet to the water.)

Blair has several lines in. Nepo Walls is hooked on one, he ain't going anywhere. Blair's gonna let that line play out for now. He can focus on steering the boat to the sweet spot for Cameron to jump into it.

Cameron has a mouthful of Rioli-covered hook. But Taylor is tossing out some juicy turtle flesh.

Pick 28 and Melbourne's future first. That's the top bid for 13 at present. Does 24 and our future second top it, in conjunction with accepting 6 for Rioli? Would it have to be 20 instead? Effectively Rioli, next year's heavily compromised pick 19, and the picks we gave Brisbane, for Finn O’Sullivan? Is that a value bet, or over-commiting?

If Taylor wins pick 13, does 6 and 11 trump 5 and 13? Taylor will leak that he's after Tauru at 5. Will Will bite?
6 and 13 for 2 way overs for me.

Reactions: 9 users
That's exactly what you said before, just using more words.
More interesting than, but we all know nothing so don't even think anything coz somebody else knows best that some other people are constantly spruiking.

Reactions: 1 users
10 & 11 is not too high, Sin. His value is pick 3. Could you swap 10 & 11 for 3 in this draft? Maybe. You couldn't swap 10 & 18 for it.

Nepo Walls is refusing to release both 10 & 11 because he wants Bo Allan. He better work out who he wants more: Allan or Shai because Blair is not *smile* around. The price is the price or we keep him. At least that's his posturing. And I hope

Now here is a journo who is finally talking sense:

Reactions: 8 users
Where is the common ground he talks about then:unsure:
The 'middle ground'? I reckon that's linked to his erroneous belief that 10 and 11 is overs. So he's hinting at something like 10 and 11 for Shai and 20/24. Which of course is a rubbish deal for us. At worst we would get pick 30 back in that scenario. 10, 11 and 30 for Shai and 20/24. I could live with that if it helps ensure we get pick 2.

Baker and Shai for 10, 11, 18 is a possibility given how impressed Bakes supposedly was with Freo's pitch and how Matt Clarke was sleeping off a poteen hangover when Hawthorn traded pick 14.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not gonna quote that Willo, too long.
But it's a bit disingenuous when you know we've been picking at the back end for a long time, in compromised drafts. The system is built for our list to go backwards.
The reason we got Blair wasn't for his drafting expertise though, it was because we thought he'd do a great job at prepping us for free agency and obtaining senior players from other clubs.
Which, he did with overwhelming success.
Knights (spoiled by injury)
Chaplin
Maric
Prestia
Nankervis
Caddy
Lynch
There were failures, of course. But have to say his building of the list was part of the foundation of the Dynasty. Frank's drafting the other (and everyone said he was hopeless for years too).
It’s not disingenuous at all.
I realise what role he was employed to do. I was replying to the post that stated he was responsible for building a multi premiership list.
Which he wasn’t. I stated and acknowledged his contribution along with others.

Of course there were failures, no master drafter, recruiter or trade guru gets them all right

What I did refer to was Blair being the List Manager but since our last premiership 4 years ago we have gone backwards. We weren’t picking at the back end of the draft since then.
I doubt anyone would disagree with that fact. Between he and Matt Clarke what success stories have we had. Taranto, I’d give a tick. Hopper, in s(supporter) hindsight , a no. They’re highly paid to make those decisions . What else in 4 years?

Now back to the original post that brought us here.
We had nearly all the currency in our back end of picks to give Brisbane a still very generous return for their pick 20 and we kept pick 32.
That was the crux of it. Unless Blair has something else up his sleeve, which I acknowledged might be the case, and which I’m waiting to see. If he doesn’t, we got reamed.
Purely my opinion. Others differ.

Reactions: 2 users
Baker and Shai for 10, 11, 18 is a possibility given how impressed Bakes supposedly was with Freo's pitch and how Matt Clarke was sleeping off a poteen hangover when Hawthorn traded pick 14.

Clarke now realising there's a world of difference between Recruiting Management & List Management.

Reactions: 8 users
In Blair we trust.

Wednesday is the day we get the deals we want.

Gold Coast don't have an Elite running back. forget Nobel he doesn't cut it as Elite. Hardwick is desperate for an Elite Running back - Rioli is it.
Come lunch time Wednesday we will get pick 6 & 13. or equivalent. They have no other option. We already have him and can walk away from the deal.

Freo have no elite small forward - we have Bolton who is not only Elite small forward also an elite clearance mid.
10,11 & 18 come Lunch time Wednesday they give us the 3 if we hold out.

On Wednesday where do GC get an elite running back from? too late - Pay up!!

On Wednesday where do Freo get an elite small forward/mid from? nowhere - Pay up.

The art of the deal is to know what the deadline is. The Japanese when negotiating with Americans would always find out when the Americans plane was leaving. They would play golf, have dinners, go sightseeing and never talk business until the last day.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It’s not disingenuous at all.
I realise what role he was employed to do. I was replying to the post that stated he was responsible for building a multi premiership list.
Which he wasn’t. I stated and acknowledged his contribution along with others.

Of course there were failures, no master drafter, recruiter or trade guru gets them all right

What I did refer to was Blair being the List Manager but since our last premiership 4 years ago we have gone backwards. We weren’t picking at the back end of the draft since then.
I doubt anyone would disagree with that fact. Between he and Matt Clarke what success stories have we had. Taranto, I’d give a tick. Hopper, in s(supporter) hindsight , a no. They’re highly paid to make those decisions . What else in 4 years?

Now back to the original post that brought us here.
We had nearly all the currency in our back end of picks to give Brisbane a still very generous return for their pick 20 and we kept pick 32.
That was the crux of it. Unless Blair has something else up his sleeve, which I acknowledged might be the case, and which I’m waiting to see. If he doesn’t, we got reamed.
Purely my opinion. Others differ.
I didn't say you were being disingenuous, settle down.

You say go back 4 years.
2020 draft, we had pick 20 and 26. Last in first round. It was a thin draft, we traded and Geelong got Holmes (as zips points out 2-3 times a week). Our draft intel was clearly wrong though with him. Not a lot of success stories thereafter though. Traded into 2021. Right strategy, I'd say. Execution of 21 draft needed.
2021: yep, bunch of picks inside 30. We all know the deal there. Right list strategy, bringing in 5 young ones in a deepish draft.
2022/23: these picks Elijah Hewitt and Max Gruzewski for Taranto (big tick)
Toby McMullin and Daniel Curtin for Hopper. We might have taken Caddy if we'd kept it rather than Curtin, but who knows, we can't be sure! At this stage, Hopper is in front of those players, even though he's been disappointing with us. The Hopper deal, long term, not looking good. But if you only look at the two players taken at those picks - strategy looks OK. On a risk basis, it was probably the right call. We wouldn't have expected all the injuries and the coach to bail.
Questionable is the clubs strategy to try eek out one more Premiership. You can see the reasons why we'd have tried, especially after the final in Brisbane. Injuries have made that strategy fail miserably. On paper though, we're better than our performance.
Blair doesn't set the club strategy. He plays his part in building towards it as you'd know, but if you've got a three time premiership coach saying "we go again, these guys are still responding to me" you don't undermine him and say "nah, we'll go to the draft." If you do that, might as well sack him. A club that doesn't support their coaches vision will surely implode.
So, is Blair horrible? No. The strategy - which the whole club needs to wear, including our ex-jump-the-sinking-ship-coach has backfired. I think in terms of what we'd be asking him to do, he gets a pass, but nowhere near an A grade.

Tim Livingstone on the other hand....he'd want to get our High Performance manager right, and hope to god Yze lifts. I'd have him as a fail since 2021, and he should be looking over his shoulders if we perform below expectations this year.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't say you were being disingenuous, settle down.
I know what you wrote and my reply. Please read back. You “it was being ingenuous” I replied “it’s not being disingenuous”. So settle yourself.
You say go back 4 years.
2020 draft, we had pick 20 and 26. Last in first round. It was a thin draft, we traded and Geelong got Holmes (as zips points out 2-3 times a week). Our draft intel was clearly wrong though with him. Not a lot of success stories thereafter though. Traded into 2021. Right strategy, I'd say. Execution of 21 draft needed.
2021: yep, bunch of picks inside 30. We all know the deal there. Right list strategy, bringing in 5 young ones in a deepish draft.
2022/23: these picks Elijah Hewitt and Max Gruzewski for Taranto (big tick)
Toby McMullin and Daniel Curtin for Hopper. We might have taken Caddy if we'd kept it rather than Curtin, but who knows, we can't be sure! At this stage, Hopper is in front of those players, even though he's been disappointing with us. The Hopper deal, long term, not looking good.
I don’t know why you post who other clubs selected. There’s no guarantee we would have picked the same.

But if you only look at the two players taken at those picks - strategy looks OK. On a risk basis, it was probably the right call. We wouldn't have expected all the injuries and the coach to bail.
Nothing to do with what I posted
Questionable is the clubs strategy to try eek out one more Premiership. You can see the reasons why we'd have tried, especially after the final in Brisbane. Injuries have made that strategy fail miserably. On paper though, we're better than our performance.
Blair doesn't set the club strategy. He plays his part in building towards it as you'd know, but if you've got a three time premiership coach saying "we go again, these guys are still responding to me" you don't undermine him and say "nah, we'll go to the draft." If you do that, might as well sack him. A club that doesn't support their coaches vision will surely implode.
To a degree you’re right. But Blair is employed by the club, not the coach. As List Manager it’s his vision to set the tone for the future. Not just the now. His and the Recruiters need to have that vision to plan for this year, the next and possibly the next.
If you only react and plan for for the now. You’ll fail down the track. I doubt Hopper was ever going to be in the plan with Taranto, until trade week came about.
So, is Blair horrible? No.
I’ve never said he is or has been. Could he have done better? Probably. Has he made mistakes? Yes of course he has.
The strategy - which the whole club needs to wear, including our ex-jump-the-sinking-ship-coach has backfired. I think in terms of what we'd be asking him to do, he gets a pass, but nowhere near an A grade.
Well I agree.
Tim Livingstone on the other hand....he'd want to get our High Performance manager right, and hope to god Yze lifts. I'd have him as a fail since 2021, and he should be looking over his shoulders if we perform below expectations this year.
We need a massive improvement right across the whole organisation. Reset, start again

Reactions: 1 user
Im with Willo on this. I would take it further.
We have been getting A lot of things wrong since the 2016 draft.

To keep it short since 2016 we have bled the list dry, a list that effectively took 12 years to build.
While it is tough to continue to improve your list while winning, our list management, recruiting yes we have been limited with access to top picks, and development has been poor.
Imo we have failed abysmally with any sort of succession planning. That is if there was we a succession plan we got it awfully wrong.
It is really hitting home now but it started before 2021.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users