Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Time to take a nap matey.
I said three years and we needed to wake up now as this was our time to shine. Yet we just wasted an opportunity to control the draft. Please follow the context of the posts

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve just arrived in Hyden, W.A.
About 30klms from Lake Grace. Happy to bring Baker back with me.
On another note sat next to Steely Green on the flight up. Great kid. Told him if I was his manager he’d be sitting in business class.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
On another note sat next to Steely Green on the flight up. Great kid. Told him if I was his manager he’d be sitting in business class.
Did you tell Steely you've been ragging on him on PRE for ages ? Betting not.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The draft should be like Compare The Market. Wet Chokers Shockers want two of our stars so Tigers market price is thus & if they cannot match thus goodbye. If we do not say goodbye & take a lower offer the Tiger does not reside at Punt Road anymore. If Baker & Bolton do not obtain a move they will just have to stay at Punt Road go down to Bunnings & buy some Tough Enuff.

Reactions: 1 users
What else would we do with them if we didn't trade them up? Once we get the picks for those players being traded out, we won't have the list spots to use those later picks? It was always going to be that those later picks needed to be traded, it was what we got in return that was important.
Maybe read my post again.
I said I didn’t have a problem trading up. But questioned the value. Especially trading the pick 32 which I said was overly generous and is still a decent pick.

If anything the back end picks could’ve been used and we kept pick 32.
We still have p 51 259 points and p 61 135 points p70 39 points. Total of 403 points there. Pick 32 504 points. Difference of 100 points

So we could have got rid of 2 more picks. For 100 points less. But kept a decent pick to use. Pick 32. Or add that to the picks between 51 to 70.over 900 points worth. Another mid 20pick

Will we be able to trade picks 51, 61, 70 (and 76) for anything? We’ll see.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol classic

In addition once Brisbane and Gold Coast and Essendon use all their draft picks for their Academy picks 51, 61 and 70 will come in 10 to 15 positions
Interesting proposition TP. So in your scenario we potentially traded pick 32 and kept 36. I haven’t counted all the picks but sounds reasonable and logical. Brizzie needed the points of 32, we slip a few spots. Not as baffling as I first thought.

Reactions: 1 user
We have a highly intelligent high paid experienced triple premiership list builder who built these list in compromised drafts,
You’re getting a bit carried away. He wasn’t the only cog in building that list was he? Others were involved and some players were on the list before his arrival at the club.

Hartley’s first draft was in 2010. We had some decent players on the list prior to him joining, you know like Cotchin, Riewoldt, Martin, Astbury, Grimes, Rance, Edwards, anyone else? Not a bad core group.
He played a role. But wasn’t responsible for building the premiership list by a long shot. He filled some key spots for sure. But he missed a fair few and his last few years with Clarke haven’t done much since our last premiership over 4 years ago. As a matter of fact we’ve gone backwards at a rate of knots.

critics here have thuk all information with thuk all experience in list building at this level,
I don’t know what a thuk is but anyone with an ounce of sense will tell you our list has gone backwards over the last 4 years.
A lack of ruckman, key position forwards, quick mids. Every position that posters have been banging on about for years.
So the critics are just about everyone bar you who haven’t noticed where we are now.
So they are blind opinions.
No, they’re educated opinions.
When you have the evidence of what the picks are worth in value when there traded only for the points value.
It is quite clear what each pick value is worth.
When you give nearly a 80% premium, you know someone has got an overly generous deal at the expense of the club they traded with.
If you can’t see that, I suggest you stop criticising what others can see. As quite clearly you don’t have much of an idea

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not gonna quote that Willo, too long.
But it's a bit disingenuous when you know we've been picking at the back end for a long time, in compromised drafts. The system is built for our list to go backwards.
The reason we got Blair wasn't for his drafting expertise though, it was because we thought he'd do a great job at prepping us for free agency and obtaining senior players from other clubs.
Which, he did with overwhelming success.
Knights (spoiled by injury)
Chaplin
Maric
Prestia
Nankervis
Caddy
Lynch
There were failures, of course. But have to say his building of the list was part of the foundation of the Dynasty. Frank's drafting the other (and everyone said he was hopeless for years too).

Reactions: 4 users
Basically Blair has actually failed with most of his big trades and Balme even had to clean up his mess with the Yarran deal which we lost on, but at least Balme got him off our list. Hartley seems to get the little deals done like the Soldo or Robbie Tarrant trades.
His record was poor before Balme got there and at the end of 2016 Balme got Caddy, Prestia, Nankervis and got rid of Lids. Then there was the FA deal of Vickery for Bolton. It basically set us for the next four seasons. Since Balme took a backseat we’ve now ended up with TT , JH and the mess of today’s trade. I think people are overrating this guy and with Mathew Clarke they basically ran our list to the ground with recent trades and draft picks.

Last edited:
I also feel Blair is overrated, if he is so brilliant at his job, why is our list in such terrible shape. And to give him all the credit for building the list that got us 3 flags is factually incorrect. This trade period will test him, and if he isn’t as good as everyone around here thinks he is, we’ll be totally screwed for the next decade.

And If Carlton end up getting pick 3 off west coast, I’ll *smile* spew up, when we actually have trade capital that want to go back to WA.

Pick 3 should already be ours ffs

Reactions: 4 users
Geez. Sometimes you wonder why the *smile* do you bother debating on here? Dumb myths are debated, and quashed and put to bed, then they resurface as if nothing ever happened? Blair is a dud? What moronic stupidity is this? Did you sleep through 3 flags? Do you not understand the structural realities of the draft and the cap? Why bother?

Reactions: 13 users