Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Now this doesn't only relate to Richmond, but is going to impact us. I despise free agent compensation picks. Great for the club that loses the free agent - no problem there. But the club that gets that free agents pays nothing....nothing. Yet every other club not involved in the transaction is pushed back a draft position. It's worse when the club gaining the free agent pays a stupid contract - an even higher pick pushes other clubs back.

I get that the NFL does it (the AFL doesn't have an original thought in its very limited collective intelligence so they copied it) - but the NFL only hand out far lower round compensation picks - not high picks that screw over other clubs.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
So would I but not sure the Eagles are willing hearing Don Pyke speak about it

Of course they’re going to say that.

Success in this trade period will depend on how ruthless we wanna be.

It feels like we are too nice sometimes… almost like we wanna keep relations with other clubs positive in the hope they will reciprocate when we deal with them in future years.

But at the end of the day, we won the spoon and 3 players want out.

If we want to be ruthless, we should remind West Coast that we can re-draft Baker in the PSD if they don’t satisfy us.

If Hawthorn and West Coast agree Tom Barrass is worth pick 13, then IMO Baker is worth pick 8-9. Baker is a better player, is a better leader and will be on a lot more money. I’ll be really disappointed if we lie down and accept pick 13. Really disappointed.

Reactions: 1 user
Pick 2 or 3 debate.
Pick 2 for 6 & 18
1/-Fos
2/-Jagga
9/-Berry
10/-Reid
12/-Lindsay
13/-Taru
21/-Faull
or
Pick 3 for Bakes & 9
1/-Fos
3/-Jagga
6/-Reid
10/-Berry
12/Lindsay
13/-Taru
18/-Faull
21/-Trade f1

Whichever way we go we could end up with the same with the exception being is trading pick 21 for a F1.

Now this doesn't only relate to Richmond, but is going to impact us. I despise free agent compensation picks. Great for the club that loses the free agent - no problem there. But the club that gets that free agents pays nothing....nothing. Yet every other club not involved in the transaction is pushed back a draft position. It's worse when the club gaining the free agent pays a stupid contract - an even higher pick pushes other clubs back.

I get that the NFL does it (the AFL doesn't have an original thought in its very limited collective intelligence so they copied it) - but the NFL only hand out far lower round compensation picks - not high picks that screw over other clubs.
We wouldn't have got Lynch without FA.
Swings & roundabouts.
Every club has Benefited from FA

Reactions: 5 users

It feels like we are too nice sometimes… almost like we wanna keep relations with other clubs positive in the hope they will reciprocate when we deal with them in future years.

If we want to be ruthless, we should remind West Coast that we can re-draft Baker in the PSD if they don’t satisfy us.

If Hawthorn and West Coast agree Tom Barrass is worth pick 13, then IMO Baker is worth pick 8-9. Baker is a better player, is a better leader and will be on a lot more money. I’ll be really disappointed if we lie down and accept pick 13. Really disappointed.

Barrass contract will dwarf Bakes.

My best guess would be…
1 - our first
6 - rioli
9 - bolton
10 - bolton
13 - baker
18 - Brisbane first
20 - rioli
21 - our second
29 - freo second from soldo trade

With that hand I’d be looking to trade 2 of 18,20,21 into future firsts next year leaving us with 1,6,9,10,13,21,29

Only other scenario I could imagine is doing the baker trade to WC with baker and 10 for 3 and 23 with a later pick going back to them.
I'd love it, but don't think it's realistic. Opposition clubs aren't going to just hand over our dream handful of picks.
To get something like that, it's going to cost more than people expect the other way i reckon. I'd like Bolton for those 2 picks, but if I were Freo, I'd point to his inconsistency and other weaknesses and say 2 top 10 picks go to a consistent performer. Here's 9 and our second round or next years first.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Reactions: 1 users
no *smile* way? Why?

Just my opinion, but I think Barrass is a very average defender. A time a dozen type that was protected by McGovern
Because decent KPD are harder to find than undersized courageous stuntmen with a penchant to butcher the footy at times.
I love Bakes, but I reckon you could find a similar play fairly easily if you tried and were patient with their development.

Reactions: 3 users
no *smile* way? Why?

Just my opinion, but I think Barrass is a very average defender. A time a dozen type that was protected by McGovern

He's reportedly on $750K ATM until 2027 and Hawthorn will be significantly increasing that to get him across.

Reckon his new contract will be $900K min. Likely more. It's for 5 years as well.

Reactions: 2 users
We wouldn't have got Lynch without FA.
Swings & roundabouts.
Every club has Benefited from FA
'Swings and roundabouts' is not a way to manage a billion dollar industry. It's a circus that is playing out today big time.

Sure i agree but I was referring to what I saw as a change of attitude. A week or two ago he seemed to be leaving the door open to pick 3 in a Baker deal and now seems to be backing off that.

But who knows really !!