Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

You make some valid points. Tim Kelly though was an absolute gun midfielder at Geelong. Cameron an absolute gun key forward, the two most important positions. I'm not saying all trades are unders, you get exceptions for exceptional players, particularly key forwards, rucks and midfielders but on average clubs don't often get what their supporters are hoping for. Rioli is a half-back flanker, I think he is worth more than just pick #6 but I can't see another 1st rounder being offered without a return pick. Bolton, I value him highly and have backed him whilst many have bagged him incessantly this year, some for most of his career, but suddenly he's worth 2 first rounders to those same people. I'd love to see 10 and 11 for him or whatever it is now but it just isn't going to happen. He is a bit of a riskier proposition than Rioli imo. Could fly or could become complacent, just the sort of player he is.

PS I didn't like Hopper deal after Taranto's. Air of Hardwick desperation before jumping ship.
Bolton is not suddenly worth 2 first rounders, he is worth two firsts every day and has been for 3 or 4 years. He's a gun, a star, elite. You may not think he is, but the market does.

Reactions: 17 users
Is there any compulsion to match the proposed WCE contract if we get them in the PSD? I wouldn't have thought so, we pick them and then negotiate their contract, what WCE offered doesn't come into it.

DS
If that's the price Baker has put on his own head, then that's the price someone must pay

Reactions: 1 users
If that's the price Baker has put on his own head, then that's the price someone must pay

So what you are saying is that, if we pick him up in the PSD we are compelled to pay him what he asks? What if we offer less - he's our draft pick, if he won't play for what we offer does he have to sit out a season or 2?

DS

Reactions: 1 user
So what you are saying is that, if we pick him up in the PSD we are compelled to pay him what he asks? What if we offer less - he's our draft pick, if he won't play for what we offer does he have to sit out a season or 2?

DS
He nominates the money/time and that’s what you have to pay. Theoretically if no club picks him up then he doesn’t play, but you would assume that the money/time has already been agreed to by the club he wants to get to.

Reactions: 3 users

DS
If a player is a free agent and nominates the price he is willing to play for, then the club that picks him is obligated to pay his nominated contract.
That's how Ball got to Colonwood for pick 30. Martin got to Carlscum through the pre season.

Reactions: 1 users

DS
Yes, we are compelled to pay him what he asks

Depends on what your definition of hardball is. Me I'm not advocating missing out on 1st round picks all together and players stuck at our club next year who don't want to be there and already being given a bit of a knockdown at presentation night. It all creates a bit of a toxic atmosphere, not something we need at a time we're reeling at the bottom of the ladder with an average list of players.
So you’d be okay with what is now pick 23 for Rioli and something similar for Shai? Plus we’re paying part of their salaries, and all because they may be resentful that we’re holding them to the large money, long term contracts that they were happy to sign not all that long ago.

So you’d be okay with what is now pick 23 for Rioli and something similar for Shai? Plus we’re paying part of their salaries, and all because they may be resentful that we’re holding them to the large money, long term contracts that they were happy to sign not all that long ago.
If we're not getting the pick value we're asking for then no way we'd be contributing to their salaries. They want to poach our contracted players, the dollars are already written on the paperwork n they can renegotiate with the player if they wish. We'd only consider assisting with the financials if they provide us with all or more than the picks we're asking for.

Reactions: 4 users
Bargaining power lost when contracts end.

Rioli, Bolton and Baker will also never be this valuable.

Plus, we need picks now.

We aren’t as desperate as the buyers but we absolutely have compelling reasons to sell.

Reactions: 9 users
Would we (or North) want Baker at that price? 5 x $900k is a lot of money for a small non-midfielder
North's salary cap is probably full after the Darling and Parker deals, plus the 4 years they are offering Caleb Daniel- on top of whatever they are paying Zac Fisher.

North's salary cap is probably full after the Darling and Parker deals, plus the 4 years they are offering Caleb Daniel- on top of whatever they are paying Zac Fisher.
Not possible that they've been paying any more than the bare minimum 95% for years plus with McKays value coming off the books last year and the banking of cap space they'll have plenty of room to pay the old pensioner salaries. Pretty sure they'll only part pay anyway as the other clubs will be happy to contribute a bit while gaining extra cap space.

Imagine the scenario if RFC can't get the appropriate trades done for Rioli, Bolton and Baker (as in the Club doesn'tback downfrom fair deals)??
Now, that would make for some interesting mind resetting for a range of people during pre-seaon.
Just ruminations....
I'm sure Hartley and his team will get done what is in the best interests going forward.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon the two deals get eventually done for something like...

6 & 23 for Dan, plus a second round pick swap - get 29 for our pick 32
10 & 18 for Shai, plus second round pick swap - get 30 for our pick 42

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Pick #23 is not my mail. Where'd you get that from?

Pick #23 is not my mail. Where'd you get that from?
I heard 23, but it changes on an hourly basis. The most recent article said 6 and 29. However, you think 6 is overs, so I assumed you’d be prepared to accept the Gold Coast’s 3rd pick, given that they want to give 13 to Collingwood for Premiership Star John Noble…oh wait…