Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Did you see the foxfooty article? Apparently the afl hasn't factored in the new TV rights in the AFL's TPP concerning FA compensation (hence the "generous" compensations clubs have received thus far), we absolutely should take advantage of this for all its worth
watch them change the rules tonight before we lodge the graham compo

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
What deals are being offered?

Rioli and Bolton are contracted on big money for multiple years. We hold the whip hand. We don't accept reasonable deals; we accept exceptional deals. Otherwise they stay.
That's the theory. The reality is the majority of the time the players go and often for a little under. Right now it's not in our long-term interest to play hard ball on players who don't want to be at the club and who's value is only going to deteriorate in future years as they age. I prefer 3-4 first round picks out of those two that's reportedly on offer than end up with just pick 1 and 20s the next best. We can't afford to waste this chance. Of course if offers are seriously low-balled that's another thing but I don't think that's been the case.

Reactions: 2 users
They get a 20% discount, 600 points on Ashcroft at pick 1 which is hardly slight in anyone's book.
If Brisvegas trade out pick 20 which is worth around 900 points they'd be needing to get back over 2200 points to get Ashcroft. Either they trade a player or dig deep into next years draft points to cover the cost of getting Ashcroft. Then Brisvegas have the joy of trying to find roughly another 800 or so points for academy prospect Marshall who should be a pick around the 20ish mark.
They got their flag n are smack bang in the middle of their finals window. Let em bleed I say.
*smile* em, and let god sort them out. They aint our mates and we should be getting the best player available in the draft because we have pick 1. If they want to pony up and help us out then we can help them.
That's the theory. The reality is the majority of the time the players go and often for a little under. Right now it's not in our long-term interest to play hard ball on players who don't want to be at the club and who's value is only going to deteriorate in future years as they age. I prefer 3-4 first round picks out of those two that's reportedly on offer than end up with just pick 1 and 20s the next best. We can't afford to waste this chance. Of course if offers are seriously low-balled that's another thing but I don't think that's been the case.
Would much rather we trade Dan and hold onto Shai unless we get a top 3 pick for him. Freos 11 and 18 (or whatever its been pushed back to) is frankly not great for us. I mean we could get two ripper players but that is highly doubtful.

Completely disagree. Clubs end up paying substantial overs for players that are still in contract and want to get to a specific club; which is the case for Rioli and Bolton.

Look at what West Coast had to pay for Tim Kelly. Geelong got pick 14, a future first (18), 24 and 37. They gave up Kelly and two late 3rd rounders.

Jeremy Cameron to Geelong. They gave up 3 first rounders which ended up being 13,15,20 plus a future 4th. They got Cameron plus two future second round picks which ended up being 24 & 32.

Both deals WC and Geelong had to pay substantial overs. In fact I'm not even sure both players were still contracted but an overs price was still paid as they weren't free agents. What did we pay for Taranto? 2 x first round, 12 & 19. Hopper? A future first plus a second rounder.

Rioli and Bolton have big contracts still valid and are both in very high demand by GC and the WA clubs respectively. Yet we should expect to get "a little under"? Don't think so. No way. We'll be getting overs or Hartley is not doing his job.

Reactions: 8 users
Reactions: 3 users
I reckon its not going well early doors for us, which is predictable. I reckon Richmond modus operandi is to do fair deals - I reckon we are the only ones that behave that way.

We want 6+13 for Dan and 10+11 for Shai. Both are overs due to contract situation - but GC and Freo are saying no. It simply comes down to who folds first. We fold and likely take 6+23 (Rioli) and 10+18 (Shai) or they fold for the above deal or no one folds and we keep the players.

I can't see much middle ground in the scenarios - late current or future draft pick swaps won't make a material difference to either side - early round draft picks either way unlikely.

The reality is the current club (us in this case) has limited negotiating power - even with long term contracted players - because no one wants players who don't want to be at the club. So that's the club that normally folds on the last day.

This is exactly the sort of situation you do play hardball in.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon its not going well early doors for us, which is predictable. I reckon Richmond modus operandi is to do fair deals - I reckon we are the only ones that behave that way.

We want 6+13 for Dan and 10+11 for Shai. Both are overs due to contract situation - but GC and Freo are saying no. It simply comes down to who folds first. We fold and likely take 6+23 (Rioli) and 10+18 (Shai) or they fold for the above deal or no one folds and we keep the players.

I can't see much middle ground in the scenarios - late current or future draft pick swaps won't make a material difference to either side - early round draft picks either way unlikely.

The reality is the current club (us in this case) has limited negotiating power - even with long term contracted players - because no one wants players who don't want to be at the club. So that's the club that normally folds on the last day.
Don’t discount west coast and pick 3 for Shai. They are prepared to trade it out. They will love to get one up on Freo. Shai hasn’t nominated a club.

Who DESPERATELY wants and needs to win a flag. Give you a hint. It ain't us!!!

Completely disagree. Clubs end up paying substantial overs for players that are still in contract and want to get to a specific club; which is the case for Rioli and Bolton.

Look at what West Coast had to pay for Tim Kelly. Geelong got pick 14, a future first (18), 24 and 37. They gave up Kelly and two late 3rd rounders.

Jeremy Cameron to Geelong. They gave up 3 first rounders which ended up being 13,15,20 plus a future 4th. They got Cameron plus two future second round picks which ended up being 24 & 32.

Both deals WC and Geelong had to pay substantial overs. In fact I'm not even sure both players were still contracted but an overs price was still paid as they weren't free agents. What did we pay for Taranto? 2 x first round, 12 & 19. Hopper? A future first plus a second rounder.

Rioli and Bolton have big contracts still valid and are both in very high demand by GC and the WA clubs respectively. Yet we should expect to get "a little under"? Don't think so. No way. We'll be getting overs or Hartley is not doing his job.
Thats not overs for Cameron, its unders. And he was out of contract. The litmus test for me is if he was put up for auction what would he bring? Much more than what Geelong paid with the farm boy discount, 2 top 10s would be a starting point.

I agree with your argument though. Just not the JC part.

Said a lot without saying much. Stump up GC, Freo and WCE otherwise *smile* off.
Total pro. short and sweet, steely stare into the middle distance, an awkward silence, the comic relief of the JG Bucks night gag. Tick, tick, tick, and tick. "We'll attack it as we go". One step at a time Blair baby!

Reactions: 4 users