Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Well yes, of course. But lets also consider his CV with a healthy dose of reality, big ask in these post-truth times I admit. His CV is what got him into the position he is in after all. How many list managers have pulled off a deal like Tom Lynch and compiled a triple premiership list?

I suppose if you think he's a bum who will balls it up, you won't be disappointed.

@taztiger4 and I bumped into Matty Clarke at the Williamstown game, he said something like Blair is a good operator, he is too smart to stuff things up, (obviously referring to the draft hand we are likely to have).

Taz will correct me if that is not what he said.

Reactions: 7 users
So perhaps a pick 6 plus very late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder for pick 2. Always depends on what #Lolnorf want for their selection n they obviously think that pick 2 would be to early a choice.
Then it simply becomes a matter of what pairing we could possibly be wanting to ensure with picks 1 and 2. FOS / Jagga combo??? If we could fudge a similar type deal with Wet Coke pick 3 for Bakes and another mid tier first rounder instead of looking for Wet Cokes Bareass trade pick for Bakes. Things could get very interesting.
We'd absolutely be in control of our draft destiny with picks 1 - 2 - 3 to start off with and depending on all the overall trade deals done, we could still have a mid first rounder n a few end of first or start of second picks to play around with.

Pull the finger out Blair, Touche needs the biggest n fattest first draft hand ya can give him to start our rebuild.
Go and have a look at the top 3 draft picks for the last 10-15 years. I just did and it is very sobering. Drafting is only fun in theory and on forums. Spread the picks over the first round and you have just as much chance of grabbing a decent haul.

Reactions: 3 users
We hold all the cards with Rioli and Bolton.

Confident we get picks 6 & 13 for Rioli with junk picks thrown back to allow them points for Lombard.

Picks 10 & 11 for Bolton. We might trade back a future 2nd.

Reactions: 1 users
For the Baker trade, The West newspaper says we could get the Dorks pick 14 from the Weagles when they trade Barrass to them. Hope so.

I reckon its not going well early doors for us, which is predictable. I reckon Richmond modus operandi is to do fair deals - I reckon we are the only ones that behave that way.

We want 6+13 for Dan and 10+11 for Shai. Both are overs due to contract situation - but GC and Freo are saying no. It simply comes down to who folds first. We fold and likely take 6+23 (Rioli) and 10+18 (Shai) or they fold for the above deal or no one folds and we keep the players.

I can't see much middle ground in the scenarios - late current or future draft pick swaps won't make a material difference to either side - early round draft picks either way unlikely.

The reality is the current club (us in this case) has limited negotiating power - even with long term contracted players - because no one wants players who don't want to be at the club. So that's the club that normally folds on the last day.
Unless the deal suits us, they stay. At least for another year. We can and should say No.

Next year’s draft is supposed to be good as well. So let’s see how GC & it’s hugely overrated list & Fremantle - devoid of exactly the player Bolton is, go in 2025 without either.

There’s nothing more valuable than what you can’t have.

Barrett promising never to go back on air if we get pick 2 is a game changer. We must get 2 now, any cost.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Go and have a look at the top 3 draft picks for the last 10-15 years. I just did and it is very sobering. Drafting is only fun in theory and on forums. Spread the picks over the first round and you have just as much chance of grabbing a decent haul.
Yep and this year there's no standout player for us to take advantage of with #1 pick as other years. Very open this year, maybe it's because they're good players but not great players. The best way to increase the chances are to have more picks, particularly in what's described as an open, deep draft. 3 of top 4 (minus Daicos) in Brownlow Medal this year were picks #13, #12 and #8.

Thanks for starting this thread - very informative and helps explain it to us mere amateurs (y)

Obviously it's mostly speculation - BUT - I for one would love to see those selection numbers come to fruition!!!

8 selections from the top 25 kids in the country!!!!

If that isn't a transformative opportunity I don't know what is!!

As I just explained to the boss 👧..... as much as Rioli, Bolton and Baker are/were good players - they played their part in a succesful team that was bookended by greatness (Dusty, Jack, Lynch, Cotch, Rance, Grimes etc).

I'm a huge believer in the adage that KPP are the most important pillars of a team and assuming Lynch only has 1-2 years left in him (gee I hope he can come back fit and firing) we need to focus on recruiting the KPP to build the team for the future (IMHO)

No excuses when you have so many picks in a strong draft..............

Over to you RFC 🙏
Agreed that those guys have played their part and maybe only Rioli is one that I feel could have been part of our next successful side. As much as it hurts it will be a distant memory when see another flag in a few years time.

RFC 2004 draft scares

Reactions: 2 users
For the Baker trade, The West newspaper says we could get the Dorks pick 14 from the Weagles when they trade Barrass to them. Hope so.
Im confused if WCE walk baker to pre season draft on 5 x $900k+ we get nothing or do we get compo?

Im confused if WCE walk baker to pre season draft on 5 x $900k+ we get nothing or do we get compo?
The talk about baker & free agency compo was that they pay to Graham who we do get compo for. If baker walks we get nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
Dan Rioli looks up to Damien Hardwick. Fair enough. Cameron won't do business. He's trading out pick #13. Perhaps, in time, Daniel could come to appreciate Simon Goodwin. And Simon Goodwin could grow to appreciate running players.

It's a match made in Heaven. Rioli for #5 and something else.

Craig Cameron brilliantly traded pick #2 for Lachie Weller. Hardwick wants Rioli and Noble because Weller is NFG. Hardwick has already publicly urged GCS to hire Danny Daly or Blair Hartley. He has publicly damned Craig Cameron.

Lombard is incoming. If Cameron can land Rioli and Noble the pressure is on Hardwick. If he can't he's *smile*.

I think we put Rioli about.

Reactions: 2 users
Would we (or North) want Baker at that price? 5 x $900k is a lot of money for a small non-midfielder
who do you rate higher out of Baker, Battle, or Perryman? That's today's market, we have the money to keep him in that scenario to keep him if necessary is a no brainer IMO.

Completely disagree. Clubs end up paying substantial overs for players that are still in contract and want to get to a specific club; which is the case for Rioli and Bolton.

Look at what West Coast had to pay for Tim Kelly. Geelong got pick 14, a future first (18), 24 and 37. They gave up Kelly and two late 3rd rounders.

Jeremy Cameron to Geelong. They gave up 3 first rounders which ended up being 13,15,20 plus a future 4th. They got Cameron plus two future second round picks which ended up being 24 & 32.

Both deals WC and Geelong had to pay substantial overs. In fact I'm not even sure both players were still contracted but an overs price was still paid as they weren't free agents. What did we pay for Taranto? 2 x first round, 12 & 19. Hopper? A future first plus a second rounder.

Rioli and Bolton have big contracts still valid and are both in very high demand by GC and the WA clubs respectively. Yet we should expect to get "a little under"? Don't think so. No way. We'll be getting overs or Hartley is not doing his job.
You make some valid points. Tim Kelly though was an absolute gun midfielder at Geelong. Cameron an absolute gun key forward, the two most important positions. I'm not saying all trades are unders, you get exceptions for exceptional players, particularly key forwards, rucks and midfielders but on average clubs don't often get what their supporters are hoping for. Rioli is a half-back flanker, I think he is worth more than just pick #6 but I can't see another 1st rounder being offered without a return pick. Bolton, I value him highly and have backed him whilst many have bagged him incessantly this year, some for most of his career, but suddenly he's worth 2 first rounders to those same people. I'd love to see 10 and 11 for him or whatever it is now but it just isn't going to happen. He is a bit of a riskier proposition than Rioli imo. Could fly or could become complacent, just the sort of player he is.

PS I didn't like Hopper deal after Taranto's. Air of Hardwick desperation before jumping ship.

Reactions: 1 user
This is exactly the sort of situation you do play hardball in.
Depends on what your definition of hardball is. Me I'm not advocating missing out on 1st round picks all together and players stuck at our club next year who don't want to be there and already being given a bit of a knockdown at presentation night. It all creates a bit of a toxic atmosphere, not something we need at a time we're reeling at the bottom of the ladder with an average list of players.

Would we (or North) want Baker at that price? 5 x $900k is a lot of money for a small non-midfielder

Is there any compulsion to match the proposed WCE contract if we get them in the PSD? I wouldn't have thought so, we pick them and then negotiate their contract, what WCE offered doesn't come into it.

DS