Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

The Suns are desperate for the exact type of player Dan is. He's one of the best in his position in the AFL. They are desperate and they can pay up. Time for the RFC to stand up and extract maximum benefit from this situation. The extra selection we get in this deal will help set us up for success in the expanded league.

The Suns need to satisfy us. If they paid pick 2 for Lachie Weller they need to pay a lot more than 6 for Dan.
Yes they need Rioli. We also need to rebuild our midfield.
BTW at the time they thought Weller was worth pick 2. It hasn’t worked out but at least Weller was seen as a midfielder. Anyways be interesting to see what plays out. Glad it not me in negotiations because going to be hard to keep everyone happy.

Yes they need Rioli. We also need to rebuild our midfield.
BTW at the time they thought Weller was worth pick 2. It hasn’t worked out but at least Weller was seen as a midfielder. Anyways be interesting to see what plays out. Glad it not me in negotiations because going to be hard to keep everyone happy.
Yes we need to rebuild our midfield. We will do that a lot better with pick 6 & 13 as opposed to 6 only. Plus all these *smile* band one compo picks to Saints and Giants are watering down the value we might get for Rioli and Bolton. It's now even more imperative we stand firm and extract more.

The only party I care about being happy in this trade period is the RFC.

Reactions: 9 users
Yes we need to rebuild our midfield. We will do that a lot better with pick 6 & 13 as opposed to 6 only. Plus all these *smile* band one compo picks to Saints and Giants are watering down the value we might get for Rioli and Bolton. It's now even more imperative we stand firm and extract more.

The only party I care about being happy in this trade period is the RFC.
Would you be happy if it falls through & we get nothing except an unhappy player?

Reactions: 1 user
It’s definitely a lot easier to talk about what you want in a negotiation than to do it.

Hypothetically if Dan has burnt bridges at Richmond then his internal value to us may be less. Certainly don’t want a hostage on your team. With that said you have to think in a football team that kind of stuff could generally sort itself out with time - coffees, pre season camps etc.

Wonder how the prince MRJ conversations have gone.

Reactions: 1 users
Because I think in a deep draft the incentive is to pick up as many 1st rounders as possible so I don't see a deal that is a win-win. We'd have to give up pick 6 assuming that's what we get for Rioli and another high draft pick. Because of our total lack of national draft drafting over the last couple of years we need as many 1st rounders as possible over the next 2 years, not offloading them. And we need some forwards badly, it's not just about the midfield.

Of course WC and North would do it if the deal favoured them otherwise what's the incentive?
It may be a deep draft but there is still a pointy end.
Its not a flat draft.
Do we settle for 2 lower ranked players or trade up and get 1 elite?
We need both. But we can get A graders over the coming years as we progress.
Thhs year and the next 2 is where we select up elite picks.

imo pick 6 will miss the elite mids.
I'd have 6 on the table, coupled with a late first rounder.

Reactions: 3 users
Would you be happy if it falls through & we get nothing except an unhappy player?
It's a risk but one we need to take. The AFL and other clubs think they can push Richmond around. They're like vultures picking over a carcass at the moment.

Anyway Dan will get over it. He committed to the club and was happy to take the big money and security a couple of years ago when it suited him. He made his bed he can lie in it. At $800K per year for kicking a piece of leather around the park I think he'll be okay.

• Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else hearing JGTI is staying? 💛🖤💪

Levi Ashcroft would be considered the #1 pick, our guy is the second pick. It matters in the sense clubs should keep other clubs honest and make them pay a fair price for that pick. We bid on Levi at 1 to force Lions to use the most points on Levi because he is worth that price. So Lions have to use their equivalent picks to match the bid at Levi at 1 which is worth 3000 points. So they’d trade out 18 because it’s a high value pick for later picks that add up to 3000 points. They get a slight discount because he is a FS selection.

according to this: https://www.draftguru.com.au/years/2024/provisional-draft-order , Brisbane only have 1089 points. They are miles off getting the points required to bring in Ashcroft.

If we bid for Ashcroft at number one and force Brisbane to match, we could really take them to the cleaners. Even if they handed over their first round draft pick for 2025, that's only worth around the 1,000 points in the expectation they will be at the pointy end again in 2025. they will still be 800-900 points short. They probably need to throw in a player as well.

IMO it is massively important we make Brisbane pay as much as possible. We can't be letting the reigning premiers take the best player in the draft for very little.

Baker is out of contract. Again you are wrong.

But we have the first pick in the PSD. Sure, we won't get 2 first rounders for him, but West Coast will have to pay overs.

Reactions: 5 users
Get the Baker deal done early so we can put 14 up for Auction with Houston & Smith Trades to be done.

IMO it is massively important we make Brisbane pay as much as possible. We can't be letting the reigning premiers take the best player in the draft for very little.
I agree, why help Brisbane stay at the top? Make them pay the full value for Ashcroft.

Reactions: 2 users
Because I think in a deep draft the incentive is to pick up as many 1st rounders as possible so I don't see a deal that is a win-win. We'd have to give up pick 6 assuming that's what we get for Rioli and another high draft pick. Because of our total lack of national draft drafting over the last couple of years we need as many 1st rounders as possible over the next 2 years, not offloading them. And we need some forwards badly, it's not just about the midfield.
I personally think the opposite, that both sides can benefit from a trade.
Of course WC and North would do it if the deal favoured them otherwise what's the incentive?
the incentive is to give yourself a greater chance of landing an additional 1-2 elite bracket players

Last edited:
It's a risk but one we need to take. The AFL and other clubs think they can push Richmond around. They're like vultures picking over a carcass at the moment.

Anyway Dan will get over it. He committed to the club and was happy to take the big money and security a couple of years ago when it suited him. He made his bed he can lie in it. At $800K per year for kicking a piece of leather around the park I think he'll be okay.
Don’t forget we’ve finished last. Dan’s career best season at HB hasn’t been the difference.
Personally think we need a chance at a quality jnr midfielder more than the chance of a potentially unhappy player (& partner). Yes you’d certainly hope he was professional enough to get over it but also a risk it backfires & his performance drops away.
Hopefully the two clubs find some middle ground. Perhaps a pick next year might be the sweetener.

Get the Baker deal done early so we can put 14 up for Auction with Houston & Smith Trades to be done.
NO. get Shai done early (their first two rounders). then move to Baker, we need WCE first pick and plus their second or next year's second for Baker and our's (Freo's) pick 10 or 11. Then move to Rioli for the Suns

Anyone else hearing JGTI is staying? 💛🖤💪

Levi Ashcroft would be considered the #1 pick, our guy is the second pick. It matters in the sense clubs should keep other clubs honest and make them pay a fair price for that pick. We bid on Levi at 1 to force Lions to use the most points on Levi because he is worth that price. So Lions have to use their equivalent picks to match the bid at Levi at 1 which is worth 3000 points. So they’d trade out 18 because it’s a high value pick for later picks that add up to 3000 points. They get a slight discount because he is a FS selection.
They get a 20% discount, 600 points on Ashcroft at pick 1 which is hardly slight in anyone's book.
If Brisvegas trade out pick 20 which is worth around 900 points they'd be needing to get back over 2200 points to get Ashcroft. Either they trade a player or dig deep into next years draft points to cover the cost of getting Ashcroft. Then Brisvegas have the joy of trying to find roughly another 800 or so points for academy prospect Marshall who should be a pick around the 20ish mark.
They got their flag n are smack bang in the middle of their finals window. Let em bleed I say.

The Rioli trade is a deadset no brainer.
Pick 6 and 13 or no deal.
It’s that simple.

Reactions: 5 users
Think I'd prefer to try n use Bakes n a later first round pick to get Wet Coke's 3. They need to hit the draft same as us, but with a player in his prime plus picks 14 and another similar pick. They might see better value in holding two mid first round picks instead of just the one early pick

It may be a deep draft but there is still a pointy end.
Its not a flat draft.
Do we settle for 2 lower ranked players or trade up and get 1 elite?
We need both. But we can get A graders over the coming years as we progress.
Thhs year and the next 2 is where we select up elite picks.

imo pick 6 will miss the elite mids.
I'd have 6 on the table, coupled with a late first rounder.
If we can obtain WCE & Norf's first rounders it guarantees all 3 of FOS, Smith, & Lalor. Without them we most likely only get 1.

not really that simple. they offer 6 and 23 and stick, you walk away?
Yep we walk away.
Daniel Rioli is a gun, and worth his weight both on the field and off.
He will transform the Suns backline.
Not only that he’s still under contract.
Hardwick knows Rioli’s full worth which is why he’s desperate to get him.

• Dislike