Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Jack Ross - 24 in his 6th year. Done little as an inside mid and is a reasonable outside player. Agree decent nothing more.
Ralphsmith - soon to be 23 yo. 5th year. people talking as though he has improved into some sort of special player. Has actually had limited improvement and is still not up to an acceptable afl standard.

Ryan - 24 end of this year. 4th year in. Has been absolutely horrid at AFL so far. Being 206cm has earned him a bit of slack. For how long though.
MRJ - Tell me again exactly what he has done in his 35 games. Serious concerns about him. 23yo at start of year small forward who really should be performing better. His lack of polish has my alarm bells ringing loudly.

Gibcus - 21yo 3rd season been cruelled by injuries so far. looks a fantastic prospect. You would hope so being top 10.

Brown 21 yo 3rd season. Still developing from a skinny runt. Shows real promise and should be a good player.

Sonsie 21yo 3rd yr. Has struggled even if played out of position, there has to be some alarm bells going on surely. who knows.

Clarke and Banks 21 yr old 3rd yr. Clarke has had his share of injuries but jury is out. Banks has his faults and who knows what way he will go.

Smith Campbell McAuliffe really too early to make much comment. they look promising.

Young 26yo imo is already superfluous to needs plays vfl and a handy back up depth player if needed.

When they actually attain a high standard and sustain it i will revise then.

Where are the bigger mids and the key forwards taken with decent picks.
Accurate summary

Reactions: 1 users
Accurate summary
Don't think anyone has said Ralphsmith is a special player (i take the term special as an all Australian squad type, b&f candidate). They've just said he's improved significantly, given he was probably lucky to be on the list, that could just mean he's adequate, not all Australian calibre.

Don't think anyone has said Ralphsmith is a special player (i take the term special as an all Australian squad type, b&f candidate). They've just said he's improved significantly, given he was probably lucky to be on the list, that could just mean he's adequate, not all Australian calibre.

I havent watched a great deal this year due to work and travel, the games i have watched i have been impressed with his 2/3rd efforts which werent there a year or two ago, his lack of polish remains, but has added some steel to his game for sure.

Reactions: 4 users
Jack Ross - 24 in his 6th year. Done little as an inside mid and is a reasonable outside player. Agree decent nothing more.
Ralphsmith - soon to be 23 yo. 5th year. people talking as though he has improved into some sort of special player. Has actually had limited improvement and is still not up to an acceptable afl standard.

Ryan - 24 end of this year. 4th year in. Has been absolutely horrid at AFL so far. Being 206cm has earned him a bit of slack. For how long though.
MRJ - Tell me again exactly what he has done in his 35 games. Serious concerns about him. 23yo at start of year small forward who really should be performing better. His lack of polish has my alarm bells ringing loudly.

Gibcus - 21yo 3rd season been cruelled by injuries so far. looks a fantastic prospect. You would hope so being top 10.

Brown 21 yo 3rd season. Still developing from a skinny runt. Shows real promise and should be a good player.

Sonsie 21yo 3rd yr. Has struggled even if played out of position, there has to be some alarm bells going on surely. who knows.

Clarke and Banks 21 yr old 3rd yr. Clarke has had his share of injuries but jury is out. Banks has his faults and who knows what way he will go.

Smith Campbell McAuliffe really too early to make much comment. they look promising.

Young 26yo imo is already superfluous to needs plays vfl and a handy back up depth player if needed.

When they actually attain a high standard and sustain it i will revise then.

Where are the bigger mids and the key forwards taken with decent picks.
Rioli is 21- turns 22 in a couple of months- not 23 at the start of the year- unless you meant 2026.

On talls- in 2017 we draft Miller, Balta and Coleman-Jones.
2018- none- Koschitzke would be close to the best tall taken after our 1st pick that year.
2019- Biggie late- Riccardi was probably the only tall of note taken after our 1st pick- maybe Nick Bryan- the Bombers VFL ruck.
2020-Ryan with our 1st pick- .
2021- we took Gibcus- took Brown in front of JVR- time will tell there.
2022- we added Tylar Young late after trading away picks for TT and Hopper
2023- Fawcett- too early to tell if we have missed any.

We have added talls every year but havent had the opportunity to add any dominant juniors. And on list numbers at the moment- we have a good balance- quality might be an issue- but talls drafter outside the top 10-15 are hit and miss.

Reactions: 3 users
Kissed on the pecker by an angel.

Stephen Bradbury'd his way back into the 22.

• Haha
I'm playing Devils advocate because surely he's a delist, but what would it take from Dow's last few games to change the PRE opinion?

I'm playing Devils advocate because surely he's a delist, but what would it take from Dow's last few games to change the PRE opinion?
IMO it's too little too late for this year as he needs to build up his strength. Gets pushed off the ball too easily and likely contributes to his lack of defensive output and weak tackles. Was Pick 21 in the 2019 draft so has had 5 pre-seasons to work on that. He's either not worked hard enough in that area or just can't put on enough muscle required at AFL level.

I suspect Dow will get an extension as we don't have many youngsters knocking on the door for the midfield position.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO it's too little too late for this year as he needs to build up his strength. Gets pushed off the ball too easily and likely contributes to his lack of defensive output and weak tackles. Was Pick 21 in the 2019 draft so has had 5 pre-seasons to work on that. He's either not worked hard enough in that area or just can't put on enough muscle required at AFL level.

I suspect Dow will get an extension as we don't have many youngsters knocking on the door for the midfield position.
Agree on the likely extension for Dow but it’s a bad sign for the health of our list. 22yo 5th year players who are not best 25 shouldn’t be getting contract extensions.

Agree on the likely extension for Dow but it’s a bad sign for the health of our list. 22yo 5th year players who are not best 35 shouldn’t be getting contract extensions.
There, fixed your typo.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Yep can’t stick a tackle at afl level… or break one so just gets owned.
Still looks like a teenager so hopefully the testosterone is a very late arrival.

Yeah I think so too and this will be his last chance. Improve in 2 years or you're out.

Yeah I think so too and this will be his last chance. Improve in 2 years or you're out.

I'm not sure he'll get 2 years. With mids on the agenda at this years draft and with McAuliffe and potentially Kaleb Smith coming through in the 2's, reckon he might be given 1 year as insurance. If we draft mids this year, then I doubt Dow will get much if any game time next year unless he has a significant improvement in his defensive and transition game.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure he'll get 2 years. With mids on the agenda at this years draft and with McAuliffe and potentially Kaleb Smith coming through in the 2's, reckon he might be given 1 year as insurance. If we draft mids this year, then I doubt Dow will get much if any game time next year unless he has a significant improvement in his defensive and transition game.
Would prefer Davidson from the VFL list.