Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

This pick has Hadwick’s fingerprints all over it. Fast and light, with poor kicking skills but able to move the ball forward in any “chaotic” fashion to allow the better skilled Tigers to turn that movement into a goal.

But Hardwicks gone (he certainly jumped ship quickly only to land with a very cushy AFL manipulated coaching contract – a nice coincidence that), many of the exceptional Tiger players are gone and those that remain are either injured or running on vapors. The game has changed (thanks to the ever-meddling AFL!), and Dow is found wanting.

A bit of flotsam from an era at Tiger land that has finished, and he will not be part of where the new coach wants to take Richmond.

Football can be a brutal game; or so the saying goes. But the tampering of the rules by the current AFL administration, together with what appears to be choreographed umpire agenda’s that are influencing the results of games by the same administration, make the game even more brutal and cutthroat for certain players at certain clubs.
I don't think this has Dimma's fingerprints on it at all...he barely ever played him. Clearly Dimma didn't think he was good enough.
This was the by-product of a late first round pick in a *smile* draft. Very, very few players taken after him. I think we looked for an inside extractor with good hands, but at AFL level doesn't show any other trait, northe competitive mongrel to make a fist of it.

Reactions: 5 users
There is no point keeping him beyond this year as a back-up. The proof is in that if Dow is getting a game, things are dire. Playing Dow this year has failed to sandbag the flood of ball out of the middle going the wrong way. Ross would have been playing midfield this year the way things have been. If things get as dire next year (surely they can't), it'll be him, McAuliffe, Sonz, maybe a Rioli or two, and hopefully Vontae and another draftee or two getting time in the midfield.

There is no reason to give Dow a sixth year on the list. Turn over duds quickly, don't hang onto them. Bring in a state league star as a rookie. Won't be worse. Will be cheaper. Might be good.
Yep it’s time to cut and run. Cut the losses immediately. We’ve seen enough, in fact we’ve seen more than enough. He’s clearly not up to it.

Reactions: 1 users
Those take after Dow (pick 21):
Deven Robertson
Dylan Williams
Harry Schoenberg
Jackson Mead (F/S)
Will Gould
Jeremy Sharp
Josh Worrell
Finn Macguiness (F/S)
Harrison Jones
Charlie Comben
Trent Rivers
Brock Smith
Jack Mahony
Flynn Perez
Elijah Taylor
Keidann Coleman (academy)
Nick Bryan
Chad Warner
Jay Rantall
Francis Evans
Ronin O'Connor
Noah Cumberland
There's a couple of decent players in there, but not like there was many ripe fruit on the tree. Our development vs someone like Sydney (Warner at pick 39 - every club missed him, some multiple times) might be an issue.
This draft year for us, is a bust.

Reactions: 2 users
Those take after Dow (pick 21):
Deven Robertson
Dylan Williams
Harry Schoenberg
Jackson Mead (F/S)
Will Gould
Jeremy Sharp
Josh Worrell
Finn Macguiness (F/S)
Harrison Jones
Charlie Comben
Trent Rivers
Brock Smith
Jack Mahony
Flynn Perez
Elijah Taylor
Keidann Coleman (academy)
Nick Bryan
Chad Warner
Jay Rantall
Francis Evans
Ronin O'Connor
Noah Cumberland
There's a couple of decent players in there, but not like there was many ripe fruit on the tree. Our development vs someone like Sydney (Warner at pick 39 - every club missed him, some multiple times) might be an issue.
This draft year for us, is a bust.
Quite the list.

The problem as I see it, is not that Dow was a bad pick. It’s that virtually every player we have taken in the draft from 2018-2022 has been a bad pick. It’s created a 5 year black hole in our list that is not easily fixed.

If we’d only found just three or even two decent players from that period, our prospects would look vastly better than they do now.

Reactions: 7 users
Quite the list.

The problem as I see it, is not that Dow was a bad pick. It’s that virtually every player we have taken in the draft from 2018-2022 has been a bad pick. It’s created a 5 year black hole in our list that is not easily fixed.

If we’d only found just three or even two decent players from that period, our prospects would look vastly better than they do now.
It's the price of being successful. Later picks, less chance of success.

I think you're exaggerating our plight somewhat. A bad season like this can make everything seem worse than it is.

It's well acknowledged in the industry if you try rebuild via the draft it's going to take a long time.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the price of being successful. Later picks, less chance of success.

I think you're exaggerating our plight somewhat. A bad season like this can make everything seem worse than it is.

It's well acknowledged in the industry if you try rebuild via the draft it's going to take a long time.
Norf are an example.

Quite the list.

So you don't think we have even 2-3 DECENT players out of this list. Your are massively overselling these players weaknesses IMO.

Jack Ross (2018) - the rest of that draft was a bust
Hugo Ralphsmith (2019) - 43 games
Samson Ryan (2020) - 19 games
MRJ (2020) - 35 games
Josh Gibcus (2021) - 20 games
Tom Brown (2021) - 15 games
Tyler Sonsie (2021) - 22 games
Sam Banks (2021) - 14 games
Judson Clarke (2021) - 17 games
Kaleb Smith (2022) - 1 game
Seth Campbell (2022) - 15 games
Tylar Young (2022) - 28 games

Whats your criteria for "decent"? There are clearly still question marks on many of these players, largely because they just haven't played that much football.

You will know doubt come back with "but if they were any good, they would have played more games", but the point is we had just come off winning our 3rd premiership in 4 years in 2020. 2021 was a bit of a down year, we were 1 crappy ARC decision and a horribly defended goalsquare scramble away from an elimination final win in 2022, where we were balls deep in the equation of winning the flag in that year.

Yes the last 2 years have been tough, and the last 2 years have been where the vast majority of those players above have gained most of those games of football, but its the challenge with these players, we won't see the finished article with them, far from it, not many players come into the AFL and rip it up from day 1 (some do and they are the exceptional ones), but thats the challenge, seeing the little things these guys do that show they can play the game, and get them to 40+ games, where they will start to feel like they belong and have experience.

We saw that with Ross, we've seen that with Hugo, we've seen that with MRJ this year once he got close to game 30, he really came out and showed his talent.

I'm certain that in a few years you'll look back at this ridiculous comment and be disappointed you went off so early on some of the younger boys.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
So you don't think we have even 2-3 DECENT players out of this list. Your are massively overselling these players weaknesses IMO.

MRJ (2020) - 35 games

Whats your criteria for "decent"? There are clearly still question marks on many of these players, largely because they just haven't played that much football.

You will know doubt come back with "but if they were any good, they would have played more games", but the point is we had just come off winning our 3rd premiership in 4 years in 2020. 2021 was a bit of a down year, we were 1 crappy ARC decision and a horribly defended goalsquare scramble away from an elimination final win in 2022, where we were balls deep in the equation of winning the flag in that year.

Yes the last 2 years have been tough, and the last 2 years have been where the vast majority of those players above have gained most of those games of football, but its the challenge with these players, we won't see the finished article with them, far from it, not many players come into the AFL and rip it up from day 1 (some do and they are the exceptional ones), but thats the challenge, seeing the little things these guys do that show they can play the game, and get them to 40+ games, where they will start to feel like they belong and have experience.

We saw that with Ross, we've seen that with Hugo, we've seen that with MRJ this year once he got close to game 30, he really came out and showed his talent.

I'm certain that in a few years you'll look back at this ridiculous comment and be disappointed you went off so early on some of the younger boys.
Time will tell I guess.

MRJ (2020) - 35 games

That list doesn't fill me with confidence I have to say. Too many (almost all) vanilla, under-size outside flanker players. But you can see the biggest problem. Key position. The only one obtained via a first round pick, Gibcus has unfortunately had severe injury problems and therefore has to be a big question mark for the future. Samson, you just don't know. Am concerned about his strength. Gets pushed around alot and I think building core strength will be key ingredient to him making it or not. Nothing else there of true key position height.

We need some gun youngsters. Oh this is going to be a painful few years.

That list doesn't fill me with confidence I have to say. Too many (almost all) vanilla, under-size outside flanker players. But you can see the biggest problem. Key position. The only one obtained via a first round pick, Gibcus has unfortunately had severe injury problems and therefore has to be a big question mark for the future. Samson, you just don't know. Am concerned about his strength. Gets pushed around alot and I think building core strength will be key ingredient to him making it or not. Nothing else there of true key position height.

We need some gun youngsters. Oh this is going to be a painful few years.

We do need some gun youngsters, and this is the thing, bar Gibcus and maybe Brown, none of those picks between 2018-2022 should be seen as our next "guns". They were all later picks and I think this is what a lot of people are missing. These guys that we've drafted should be in our 10-30 positions on the list. Those that are looking at that know the players we have drafted in that time are in that sort of range, to have comments that not 1 of them is "decent" is frankly ludicrous.

We do need the guns, thats the most obvious thing that anyone can say, and we will do that this year, but we need those high end draft picks to do that. We got unlucky with Gibbo. In terms of footballing ability, he has it and would be a gun, but his body hasn't allowed him to do it. Remember he came in straight from the draft and played 18 games in 2022 when we were an ARC review away from going deep into finals. He has barely been on the park since, compare him to Amiss. I reckon skill level they are similar, Amiss taken with the pick before him, but Amiss has now played 40 games to Gibbos 20.

Reactions: 2 users

MRJ (2020) - 35 games

Jack Ross - 24 in his 6th year. Done little as an inside mid and is a reasonable outside player. Agree decent nothing more.
Ralphsmith - soon to be 23 yo. 5th year. people talking as though he has improved into some sort of special player. Has actually had limited improvement and is still not up to an acceptable afl standard.

Ryan - 24 end of this year. 4th year in. Has been absolutely horrid at AFL so far. Being 206cm has earned him a bit of slack. For how long though.
MRJ - Tell me again exactly what he has done in his 35 games. Serious concerns about him. 23yo at start of year small forward who really should be performing better. His lack of polish has my alarm bells ringing loudly.

Gibcus - 21yo 3rd season been cruelled by injuries so far. looks a fantastic prospect. You would hope so being top 10.

Brown 21 yo 3rd season. Still developing from a skinny runt. Shows real promise and should be a good player.

Sonsie 21yo 3rd yr. Has struggled even if played out of position, there has to be some alarm bells going on surely. who knows.

Clarke and Banks 21 yr old 3rd yr. Clarke has had his share of injuries but jury is out. Banks has his faults and who knows what way he will go.

Smith Campbell McAuliffe really too early to make much comment. they look promising.

Young 26yo imo is already superfluous to needs plays vfl and a handy back up depth player if needed.

When they actually attain a high standard and sustain it i will revise then.

Where are the bigger mids and the key forwards taken with decent picks.