Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Interesting to see how we use him now but don't be surprised he returns next week. We've seen this before.

Its really up to him to just totally shred it at VFL level now. Balls in his court. Prove he is too good for that level.
He knows where the bar is at AFL and he just has to rise to it now at the lower levels and be a cut above

Reactions: 5 users
For me Dow doesn't show enough drive, intent and involvement in the game at AFL. He may get away with it at VFL but if he wants a decent career in footy then he needs to wake up and harden up

Given the performances he was still getting picked on the back of I had just resigned myself to the fact he was going to play all 22 games this year.

Going to need to get massively stronger and quickly or papers stamped for me.

Hopefully his hormones kick in this off season. He’s 22 and looks like a boy.

If he sticks tackles and stands up in them then there are some other good attributes that warrant a spot.

He got every chance. Mainly through the injury disaster but also through the perseverance of the club/coach. Jury in.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, he has been given plenty of opportunity to prove himself. Wonder if Yze was enthusiastic about him or whether it was others on the match committee?

If he doesn't get another game this year then you would think he is gone.

Just not the right size to be a mid extracting the ball. Can't play anywhere else. Disposal is sub-par.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
Well, he has been given plenty of opportunity to prove himself. Wonder if Yze was enthusiastic about him or whether it was others on the match committee?

If he doesn't get another game this year then you would think he is gone.

Just not the right size to be a mid extracting the ball. Can't play anywhere else. Disposal is sub-par.

DS
Yep - done for me. Not good enough to take us forward.

In a side that is performing poorly, you can't accentuate our situation by playing someone that is the worst kick in the AFL.

Hopefully Yze has seen enough, and is willing to give his minutes to McAuliffe who has a significantly higher ceiling.

Reactions: 2 users
Its really up to him to just totally shred it at VFL level now. Balls in his court. Prove he is too good for that level.
He knows where the bar is at AFL and he just has to rise to it now at the lower levels and be a cut above

This will determine if and what sort of contract offer he gets at the end of the year. If he goes back to the 2's and just does the same thing, high teens or low 20's touches, no transition, then its clear that what he is now, is all we will ever get out of him. I'm skeptical, he hasn't gone back and smashed 30 out every week the previous times he's been in the AFL team.

Few AFL players get as many gilt edged opportunities to show their worth.
I admire Yze for giving him a chance to fail & to be fair we didn't have a lot of options given injuries but he's come up short of the level.
Taranto & Hopper are better players & I think he might just be a step below snr quality.
Think he'll get moved on.

Reactions: 5 users
They might keep him purely for the fact we have no midfield depth.

Prestia is done
Dusty even if he plays next year looks done in the midfield.
Baker's not a true mid and might be gone anyway,
Graham, see Baker,
Ross doesn't get an opportunity in there so they don't think he is a proper midfielder
Bolton rotates through so not a full time mid, but could be
McAuliffe, promising but still early days.

The cupboard appears empty.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 user
This pick has Hadwick’s fingerprints all over it. Fast and light, with poor kicking skills but able to move the ball forward in any “chaotic” fashion to allow the better skilled Tigers to turn that movement into a goal.

But Hardwicks gone (he certainly jumped ship quickly only to land with a very cushy AFL manipulated coaching contract – a nice coincidence that), many of the exceptional Tiger players are gone and those that remain are either injured or running on vapors. The game has changed (thanks to the ever-meddling AFL!), and Dow is found wanting.

A bit of flotsam from an era at Tiger land that has finished, and he will not be part of where the new coach wants to take Richmond.

Football can be a brutal game; or so the saying goes. But the tampering of the rules by the current AFL administration, together with what appears to be choreographed umpire agenda’s that are influencing the results of games by the same administration, make football even more brutal and cutthroat for certain players at certain clubs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is a really good example of Dow's limitations. Clearly has some ability or he wouldn't have made it this far but he isn't going to make it in the AFL.
Have to be elite to be an AFL starting mid. Even in the bottom teams & he simply isn't. Too one sided.

Just to confirm this is back in 2021
It’s 2024 and we are still waiting for the next highlight

They might keep him purely for the fact we have no midfield depth.

Prestia is done
Dusty even if he plays next year looks done in the midfield.
Baker's not a true mid and might be gone anyway,
Graham, see Baker,
Ross doesn't get an opportunity in there so they don't think he is a proper midfielder
Bolton rotates through so not a full time mid, but could be
McAuliffe, promising but still early days.

The cupboard appears empty.
There is no point keeping him beyond this year as a back-up. The proof is in that if Dow is getting a game, things are dire. Playing Dow this year has failed to sandbag the flood of ball out of the middle going the wrong way. Ross would have been playing midfield this year the way things have been. If things get as dire next year (surely they can't), it'll be him, McAuliffe, Sonz, maybe a Rioli or two, and hopefully Vontae and another draftee or two getting time in the midfield.

There is no reason to give Dow a sixth year on the list. Turn over duds quickly, don't hang onto them. Bring in a state league star as a rookie. Won't be worse. Will be cheaper. Might be good.

Reactions: 7 users