The window is open - smell the terror. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The window is open - smell the terror.

Tigers of Old said:
The question is will we learn? A bigger question is do we really have the talent capable of taking the next step?
The next step is the hard one.

I really think that we have a quality core group with the potential to make and win finals over the next few yrs. Whether we can win the ultimate prize IMO depends on whether we can address the key gaps in our list (i.e.quality outside run) and improving structures in our F50.

Re: The window is open - smell the terror.u

Tigers of Old said:
Making the 8 and getting comprehensively knocked out of the first game 2 years straight is no mans land. Neither here nor there. Bang in the middle of the table.

We're behind North. They have our measure. Sydney were clearly undermanned and so were Port when we met them last time with both sides at full strength they towelled us.

Obviously a ways off top 4 yet.
We are not far behind North .

Middle of the table is not necessarily no mans land btw. Depends in what is next, what you do about it

I really hate the way our 9 wins on the trot are downplayed by our supporters btw. Port had 2 players out of consequence when we played them, Trengove and carlile.

Sintiger said:
I really hate the way our 9 wins on the trot are downplayed by our supporters btw. Port had 2 players out of consequence when we played them, Trengove and carlile.

I don't downplay it. It was a good effort to win that many and rescue a disastrous start however that doesn't detract from what I said either.

Aegean Tiger said:
I really think that we have a quality core group with the potential to make and win finals over the next few yrs. Whether we can win the ultimate prize IMO depends on whether we can address the key gaps in our list (i.e.quality outside run) and improving structures in our F50.

Good post. Crucial list management period this year.

ToO, you are mostly right.

This off season is critical. The players we need go against the physical template we've pursued in years 1-5 of the current regime.

They often go against the mental template too.

Instead of methodical, bankable, we now need mercurial, dynamic.

Our recruiting must be turned on it's head this off season.

We will be in no man's land IF we get this draft wrong.

We have a top four core of young players.

We simply need x factor. It's a dirty phrase but it holds true for us.

Critical summer, biggest draft season since we had five picks in the top 20.

Hope we don't bugger it up.

Score on the x factor and successfully meld it into our defensive style then we go past nth Melbourne, Essendon and perhaps even port.

Sintiger said:
I really hate the way our 9 wins on the trot are downplayed by our supporters btw.

The nine wins was a fantastic effort during which the team displayed some qualities which were previously lacking. But imagine the season in reverse...9-0 after nine rounds, top of the ladder, then holding on to a finals place by a fingernail before being flogged.

The first half of the season was absolutely dire and the perception of the year suffers accordingly. If this was, say, 2012, I think we'd all feel a lot more positive coming off a 15th and a 12th. But in effect we've trod water.

Tigers of Old said:
The question is will we learn? A bigger question is do we really have the talent capable of taking the next step?
The next step is the hard one.
We don't have the playing talent and we don't have the coaching talent.
Anyone in denial about this should watch the EF again.
The other major problem is complete lack of depth in the 2's, thanks to a lack of vision and recruiting.
Real possibility we go backwards next year.

Opened the window and I can smell the yellow canola crops that are shining in the sun. I can smell the blossoming spring wattle. I can smell the fresh mown grass. I can almost smell the liniment. I can smell finals excitement. I can't smell Tigers terrorising anyone though. Maybe next year I will smell and sense and taste Richmond success. If not there's always another year...or another decade. Ah Tiges.

Sintiger said:

I hate the way those 9 wins have been repeatedly discussed as 9 elimination finals. They were not finals and had nothing like finals atmosphere, build-up and pressure. They were 9 home and away wins. As soon as we were in an actual elimination final we went to water. A great effort to win nine games no doubt but balanced somewhat by such a terrible first half of the season.

Mark Thompson said something pretty interesting last week. He said in his experience players find something in finals, no matter how fatigued they might be.

Forget about this 'nine elimination finals' crap.

We had everything to win but were content with just making the finals.

This playing group has much to learn. Still young, still seeing a never ending horizon.

They still don't know how precious these opportunities are.

Still think we are looking at 2016 before we can give it a real shake.

Our list as it stands comes up short.

Does the club think our best 30 players have enough improvement to make a tilt at a flag? I dont

The next 2 drafts, trade and FA are so important. Get it wrong and we'll top out about where we are now. Get it right we could be top 4 by 2016.

We need players who can make a significant impact straight away, no project players or other clubs rejects.

The club demands success and is aggressive in all areas of its business, its time it got aggressive in landing stars at Tigerland

We are not far away but we are not far away from going the other way either!

Carter said:
Mark Thompson said something pretty interesting last week. He said in his experience players find something in finals, no matter how fatigued they might be.

This playing group has much to learn. Still young, still seeing a never ending horizon.

Agree.

One team played as if losing wasn't an option. The other played like it was all just too hard.

I've said it before on here. Our culture treats making finals like Christmas, a result of being poor and missing them for so long. It is to be expected. We won't start featuring in the second week onwards of finals until the players and supporters have greater expectations than just making September. Coming from where we did this year and rewriting record books would have taken a tremendous toll physically and mentally. Maybe not 9 elimination finals, I'd say 3 to 4. The first 5 we had no expectations of making finals. I'm certain we will look back on this year as the coming of age. It was poor enough that there will be significant soul searching over Summer but at the time the players and coaches will be able to take some real positives and confidence that we are still improving and have something to build on.

Carter said:

I don't think it was a matter of being content, Carts. More something to do with being on an emotional and physical high for a long period of time and just having nothing left to give. Should never have been allowed to get into that position and that's something that the club have to address over the off season. Hardwick doesn't know how to prepare and coach the team in a finals situation, he can get them in there, but I don't think he can turn them into serious contenders. For what it's worth I also don't buy the 9 elimination finals line either.

sausage_meat69 said:
I've said it before on here. Our culture treats making finals like Christmas, a result of being poor and missing them for so long.

I agree. That's why making the finals this year was so important to us IMO - our first consecutive finals appearances in 40 years. Maybe now with that monkey off our back there will be less talk in the media about Richmond and finals per se. Maybe now we can adopt the same psychology as every other club and just try to WIN A DAMN FLAG.

martyshire said:
I agree. That's why making the finals this year was so important to us IMO - our first consecutive finals appearances in 40 years. Maybe now with that monkey off our back there will be less talk in the media about Richmond and finals per se. Maybe now we can adopt the same psychology as every other club and just try to WIN A DAMN FLAG.
Agree.

Watching last week was like seeing a car crash in slow motion. A week on and I'm quite buoyed about next year. I have a feeling the good news will continue to roll into the trading season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name nominate us and a couple astute pickups to keep the momentum flowing.

On another matter geez the club has been professional off field. I think the way we've adopted social media, Dimma's dissection, Peggy's thank you and just the way we dealt with the middle of the season and built up the messages through our on field exploits all top notch. There's a lot to like on and off the field. We've certainly moved up from Tuesdays with Terry!

rosy23 said:
I hate the way those 9 wins have been repeatedly discussed as 9 elimination finals. They were not finals and had nothing like finals atmosphere, build-up and pressure. They were 9 home and away wins. As soon as we were in an actual elimination final we went to water. A great effort to win nine games no doubt but balanced somewhat by such a terrible first half of the season.

With you there Rosy - was a great achievement but by no means were those wins played under finals pressure - if anything played with the reckless abandon of a team riding a wave.