The window is open - smell the terror. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The window is open - smell the terror.

*smile*. What a ride. I didn't touch us last week but I had a bet on us against Sydney. (I will have a bet when we play Hawthorn.)

I've bumped this thread because not all of you will have had a bet on us to make the four. If you've got a family you may not have the money to pay for GF tix.

*But what if we don't make the GF?*

No problem. That's free. But if we do you need the money. You'll still get $6 on Monday about us making thew four. Put $100 o for each GF tic you need.

*But I did back us to make the four.*

Well played. In December why not sober up and take the family to a premiership holiday in say, Istanbul? Have a few bob on the Tiges for the flag at the $21 the TAB bookie is still hanging out there. That should cover it.

Thanks for the tip; made me weigh it up and just had a very small wager for the premiership at the $21. What have we got to lose? Nobody thought we could beat Dockers or $wans either! But when you do, you realise they're not actually supermen, and at our best, maybe we really can beat them all. I'm certain there is a lot more improvement left in our guys than these older teams. We are only just approaching the edge of our potential IMHO ... and if we can beat Hawks, well ... just watch the odds shorten then!! And I'm getting a funny feeling in my bones that we just might. We've done so before, and I just have a feeling that maybe they're not so peerless after all. Some of the stars on their list could be getting past their prime, or maybe just a smidgeon less hungry than before. Yer looking forward to the Hawks match - if we should beat them it will shake everyone up: media knockers and odds-setters!
If not, bring on 2016 where we should get even better. But these odds are 'interesting' right now.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
It's going to be tough to make the top 4. And if we don't, and we cop North in week 1, things could get pretty ugly.

Just my opinion.

Friday night was a watershed moment for our team. Richmond has a reputation for being a flaky team. Most teams know that Richmond will bob its head up from time to time. When they do, they always have a few unexpected wins, they catch a good team or two on a bad day, get taken lightly by another and give their fans another tease.

Then someone comes out hard, belts them around, bullies them, throws a few sledges in. Mentally fragile at the best of times, the Tigers crash back to earth and order is restored. They are shattered for the next few games and another year ends in tears.

It was all going according to the script on Friday night. It was a niggly, nasty, bad-tempered game and the battle-hardened Swans were going about their business, putting the insecure upstarts back in their box. Only it didn't happen. In the last few moments, Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards aside contemptuously. Miles was physically targeted all night but gave back as good as he got. Vickery stood up. Vlastuin and Grimes imposed themselves. It was the Swans who caved.

The penny has dropped.

We will beat both Geelong and North Melbourne the next time we play them.

And West Coast, TOT.

(If we get the right circumstances it will be margin fiesta against North.)

I was watching the Karmichael story this morning and saw his winning kick against us. The thought crossed me that as a team we would be very unlikely to let such a game go now. The team is much more mature, with a number of strong and experienced leaders, and well drilled. But back then, while we were an up and coming team, after 30 years of crap we had no leaders and only talented juniors who had never been taught what it took to be good.

I am not sure we have fully turned the corner to be a top 4 team and eliminate all doozies, but we have made progress.

leon said:
Thanks for the tip; made me weigh it up and just had a very small wager for the premiership at the $21. What have we got to lose? Nobody thought we could beat Dockers or $wans either! But when you do, you realise they're not actually supermen, and at our best, maybe we really can beat them all. I'm certain there is a lot more improvement left in our guys than these older teams. We are only just approaching the edge of our potential IMHO ... and if we can beat Hawks, well ... just watch the odds shorten then!! And I'm getting a funny feeling in my bones that we just might. We've done so before, and I just have a feeling that maybe they're not so peerless after all. Some of the stars on their list could be getting past their prime, or maybe just a smidgeon less hungry than before. Yer looking forward to the Hawks match - if we should beat them it will shake everyone up: media knockers and odds-setters!
If not, bring on 2016 where we should get even better. But these odds are 'interesting' right now.

We're the wrong price, leon. $9 is right IMO. The pundits are reading the old narrative as TOT points out. Good luck, brother.

The TAB bookie put up $21 yesterday but it went off. $17 now. All the other bookies have $21 up.

Unibet has us $10 to make the GF. That pays just in time to buy tickets. A nice insurance scheme.

This is happening.

Tigerflag2008 said:
I was watching the Karmichael story this morning and saw his winning kick against us. The thought crossed me that as a team we would be very unlikely to let such a game go now. The team is much more mature, with a number of strong and experienced leaders, and well drilled. But back then, while we were an up and coming team, after 30 years of crap we had no leaders and only talented juniors who had never been taught what it took to be good.

I am not sure we have fully turned the corner to be a top 4 team and eliminate all doozies, but we have made progress.

Games played was 1437 v 1209, so not an outrageous difference in experience. The only time we've dipped below 1650 games since then was against Melbourne this year (1494).

Having sat through the dogs, dees and eagles losses - I cant share the optimism just yet. However, friday night was a huge step fwd towards being a serious challenger.

tha8ball said:
Having sat through the dogs, dees and eagles losses - I cant share the optimism just yet. However, friday night was a huge step fwd towards being a serious challenger.

Agree. Next three weeks of "should win" games will tell a tale.

tha8ball said:

The dogs and WC losses weren't that big a deal in the scheme of things, beaten by sides who played very well and we were a bit off, that happens. The Melb and Geelong losses, on the other hand, were very concerning. Hopefully those types of rudderless, insipid losses are behind us.

St Kevin said:
Not only "should win" but we need to boost our percentage as well.

THIS ^^^

Winning is one thing, winning mercilessly is another.

Until we become the latter, I will remain skeptical about our position of power.

We should win all three and with credit but this is Richmond.

We will start favourites and we have issues mentally with that!

Nothing is certain as those sides will see beating us as huge and will be up for it. This will tell us more as we have been disappointing in games we should have won.

Until we win those games I will have a doubt in my back of my mind.

Go Tigers thrash them all!

St Kevin said:
Not only "should win" but we need to boost our percentage as well.

Agree. If we treat those games the same we did Freo and Swans, we will belt them. But if we expect to just turn up and knock them off, as it appears we often do when playing inferior opponents, then history will repeat itself.

A few weeks ago Dimma said occasionally they use emotion to motivate the boys but they know they can't do that all the time. Perhaps that's why we lose to lower teams. Need to be up and about during the normal process.