The window is open - smell the terror. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The window is open - smell the terror.

The supporters have one up a notch. Against West Coast we went bonkers over every goal, as if it was the coming of the messiah. We are still mentally weak and until they address this issue against lower sides we will struggle. Do we, as supporters need to believe that they won't lose, or continue our old ways until they prove to us otherwise.

Must win next 3. Cant keep playing the underdog card because (hopefully now) we will be one of the clubs everyone wants to defeat, a tiger scalp. 35 years of defeating Richmond only amused opposition fans to watch us implode and eat our own.

We now have some credibility and defeating Richmond actually means something to the football world. We need to kick up the ruthlessness and show we have arrived, against all clubs (and in Melbourne too)... We can not sit back and pat out backs and say jolly good year, we knocked of the Swans and Freo on their turf. We need to come out and just play at the same level of intencity as we have done over the last 5 weeks (minus the WC errors)

Priemiership contenders destroy inferior opposition period ,that's where we need to be.

TOT70 said:
Just my opinion.

Friday night was a watershed moment for our team. Richmond has a reputation for being a flaky team. Most teams know that Richmond will bob its head up from time to time. When they do, they always have a few unexpected wins, they catch a good team or two on a bad day, get taken lightly by another and give their fans another tease.

Then someone comes out hard, belts them around, bullies them, throws a few sledges in. Mentally fragile at the best of times, the Tigers crash back to earth and order is restored. They are shattered for the next few games and another year ends in tears.

It was all going according to the script on Friday night. It was a niggly, nasty, bad-tempered game and the battle-hardened Swans were going about their business, putting the insecure upstarts back in their box. Only it didn't happen. In the last few moments, Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards aside contemptuously. Miles was physically targeted all night but gave back as good as he got. Vickery stood up. Vlastuin and Grimes imposed themselves. It was the Swans who caved.

The penny has dropped.

We will beat both Geelong and North Melbourne the next time we play them.

Absolutely spot on. Everything screamed flogging. And the Swans were in full bully mode. Keep the status quo at all costs. And we turned it around. We dismissed all of the Swans credentials, all of their earned respect, all of their historical superiority and in the second half told them, " No more".

I think we actually told the rest of the AFL. Our formline holds up. 16-6. Wins interstate. Wins from jumping sides, wins chasing down a lead, wins going slow, wins playing up tempo. I'm on board. Time to change the list for that final tweak that puts us into top four contention for the next five years.

Its funny, I work with a couple of older guys, one a pies man and the other Carlton. They were both pretty dismissive of the win Friday night - lucky, the swans pair getting reported turned the game. I said what about Freo - well , tigers got a lucky start, dockers were ripe for picking just lucky. GWS have got injuries so there'll be no credit if they win this weekend. The Carlton supporter then said the blues will beat the tigers and they both chirped in it'll be ninth again for the tigers. I decided to move on rather than get the Rance is a butcher and Jack is a sook statements.

Some supporters watch but don't see. As identified above the tigers of a couple of years ago would have rolled over once the bullying started and given up. This is a much tougher, more determined, composed and skilled outfit. We aren't getting pushed around anymore.

As much as some may not like it I reckon since Ty let Cox know he wasn't gonna cop cheap shots we have presented as a much tougher unit.

funky said:
Priemiership contenders destroy inferior opposition period ,that's where we need to be.

Those that have been privy 8- seeing our glory sides would agree.

As others have said the next three easy games will tell all.

TOT70 said:
Friday night was a watershed moment for our team. Richmond has a reputation for being a flaky team. It was the Swans who caved.

The penny has dropped.

Agree with this. in simple terms - belief! The only danger is depth, or lack there of. Two games of different ilk - Freo game had surgical precision, the Swans game had grunt. The Tiges have played with only a little of either prior to these two games, will need both in ample quantities come Round 18. Pass that test (win lose or draw) and finals beckon with a whole different mindset than we've seen in recent times.

axlefoley said:
As others have said the next three easy games will tell all.
If we see any of the next 3 games as easy we will drop one of them imo. 5% off against any of them smells danger.

If anyone is going to the game this week, go confident and bring your voice with you. The atmosphere at the West Coast game was really weird, sort of this nervous tension and for a mostly Tiger crowd we were very quiet. I think it communicated that negative energy to the team and it had a little bit to do with why they were off.

The game where jack kicked 10 and we won by 120+ was built as a danger game that we could easily drop. Two things will get us past the next 3 weeks with solid/good wins. 1. Respect the opposition, and just keep playing the levels that has seen this good form over the last 5 weeks. Still think we are sporadic, good quarters, good halves, just salivating at the prospect of consistent 4 quarter performances... if we can get there.

Tiger Pops said:
The game where jack kicked 10 and we won by 120+ was built as a danger game that we could easily drop. Two things will get us past the next 3 weeks with solid/good wins. 1. Respect the opposition, and just keep playing the levels that has seen this good form over the last 5 weeks. Still think we are sporadic, good quarters, good halves, just salivating at the prospect of consistent 4 quarter performances... if we can get there.
The last time we beat the Swans at the SCG in 2004, Richo kicked 7 against them and then backed up the next week with 10 against the Dogs. An omen?

CarnTheTiges said:
If anyone is going to the game this week, go confident and bring your voice with you. The atmosphere at the West Coast game was really weird, sort of this nervous tension and for a mostly Tiger crowd we were very quiet. I think it communicated that negative energy to the team and it had a little bit to do with why they were off.

as someone who goes to the ALeague week after week, I find the level of crowd support at AFL games pretty heinous, although Richmond has always been one of the better teams at creating a match day atmosphere... but I feel this year we have dropped off significantly. Richmond games have been incredibly quiet. we need to lift our game.

DirtyDogTiger said:
If the players expect the tiger army to lift them, it's time for a sports psych or two at the club

We have been doing very well on the road, I don't think this is the case.

seems like Channel 7 like showing us on Friday night's as well.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
It seems the media have caught the scent. And they like it.
True, they're very complimentary for the most part, but there does seem to be this underlying fear from a lot of them that this club is going to be successful once again and they're not going to enjoy it.