The March to the finals- 2015. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The March to the finals- 2015.

People are saying that the dogs can overtake us if we win but they win by around 80 points, but that's assuming we win by 1 point. If we win by 4-5 goals, the dogs will have to win by 17-18 goals.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Would the swannies tank, skip the double chance, but gain a home final?

Don't see why. Don't they get a home final in week 2 even if they lose in week 1? They'd essentially just be forgoing a shot at advancing straight to a prelim.

Stylo said:
Don't see why. Don't they get a home final in week 2 even if they lose in week 1? They'd essentially just be forgoing a shot at advancing straight to a prelim.

Fair enough
Finish 4th and win: Thry go to a home prelim final.
Lose and they get a home semi.

yes, a flaw in the current system is that finishing 4th, is significantly better than finishing 5th.

DirtyDogTiger said:
It wouldn't be a flaw if we didn't choke on an 8 point lead against freo last month

exactly, imagine if we finished 4th. Beat Freo in Freo week 1. week off. Prelim at MCG.

i was gutted after that Freo loss a month ago

DirtyDogTiger said:
It wouldn't be a flaw if we didn't choke on an 8 point lead against freo last month

Ceteris paribus, we'd still only be fifth :(

Our first 11 games -
we conceded 121 goals at an AV 11 per game

Since then - 88 from 10 games. AV 8.8
We've lost just 2 games: Freo (12 goals) and adelaide -11 goals.

A big warning sign for us is 10 goals.
We've only won two games where we've given up 11 goals (swans and Collingwood r7).

Now the bulldogs, Suns, swans, Adelaide & hawthorn have all beaten North by keeping them to 10 goals.

We've improved defensively so we need to keep the brakes on their scoring and keep them under 11 goals.

Get the handbrake on Petrie brown Nahas and Thomas.
And it has to start in the midfield

Ice said:
exactly, imagine if we finished 4th. Beat Freo in Freo week 1. week off. Prelim at MCG.

i was gutted after that Freo loss a month ago

Ain't necessarily so, Sydney are a win AND percentage ahead of us anyway.

That loss sucked though for sure, but not as bad as melb and Geel ones.

DirtyDogTiger said:

What that loss has done is create the possibility of playing Adelaide in Adelaide first week of finals.

If we hadn't have ballsed up against Freo, home final would be locked away, giving us the option of resting players this week, rather than having to win.

tigersnake said:
That loss sucked though for sure, but not as bad as melb and Geel ones.

Personally, I was hurt deeper by the Freo loss, because we actually outplayed them. The other games we deserved to lose and were outplayed.

Also, if we had won, 4th was a realistic option - and I know the huge advantage 4th has over 5th.

Ice said:
Personally, I was hurt deeper by the Freo loss, because we actually outplayed them. The other games we deserved to lose and were outplayed.

Also, if we had won, 4th was a realistic option - and I know the huge advantage 4th has over 5th.

We deserved to lose sure, but not because we were outplayed, we were slow, dumb and weak. We played like scared lettuce leaves. I saw my football barracking future flash before my eyes.

(I'd put the WC and Foots losses in the 'beaten by a better side on the day' basket).

The Freo loss was one we should have won yes. I'll take a narrow loss that is a moral victory over a top side over an insipid, consider ringing the chook manure delivery-dude never-in-the-hunt against middling to terrible sides effort anyday.

tigersnake said:
We deserved to lose sure, but not because we were outplayed, we were slow, dumb and weak. We played like scared lettuce leaves. I saw my football barracking future flash before my eyes.

(I'd put the WC and Foots losses in the 'beaten by a better side on the day' basket).

The Freo loss was one we should have won yes. I'll take a narrow loss that is a moral victory over a top side over an insipid, consider ringing the chook manure delivery-dude never-in-the-hunt against middling to terrible sides effort anyday.

in isolation, those early crap losses were indeed poorer performances than the Freo one, so I agree there

it was the 5th versus 4th context that hurt me. we were on the cusp of a giving the Top 4 a real chance, and outplayed the top team - but we lost. I walked from that game thinking that we blew a real chance to make a GF this year.

Can't live by what ifs ..... doesn't work that way

People forget Freo had 2 set shots on goal in the last 2 minutes of that game - what if they nailed the first one, Houlis kick out would then have been irrelevant.

On balance - over a whole season, and looking at the 4 teams in the top 4, 5th is about right I think.

What I like about this year is that we are coming home strongly and are in a much better position than last year. No one expected us to repeat a 9 straight winning run again this year, but surprisingly we have done pretty well to get close to repeating that run in the back half of the year.

What if Collingwood didn't lose the game to us earlier
What if GWS didn't slow down in their last quarter
What if Port found their mojo a month or so earlier in the season

Swings and roundabouts and all that ......and one last thing, a simple question, who is not more relaxed now compared to this time last year when we were a few days out from playing Sydney?

year of the tiger said:
Can't live by what ifs ..... doesn't work that way

either do I

I was just explaining why I was so gutted immediately after the Freo game

on a different note, North rested 5 players in the last round last year: Luke McDonald, Michael Firrito, Levi Greenwood, Lindsay Thomas, Todd Goldstein

and Dal Santo was sub

effectively 6 of their preferred starting 21 were not playing

I assume they will be doing something similar this week, so we should have no excuse in locking down the home final

The maths say if the Dogs win by 100 points (possible), then that puts them 63 points ahead of our points for/against.
So to finish 5th (and a long shot at 4th) we'd have to beat a "rested" Kangaroos by about 11 goals or more.
I think.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Our first 11 games -
we conceded 121 goals at an AV 11 per game

Since then - 88 from 10 games. AV 8.8
We've lost just 2 games: Freo (12 goals) and adelaide -11 goals.

A big warning sign for us is 10 goals.
We've only won two games where we've given up 11 goals (swans and Collingwood r7).

Now the western bulldogs Suns swans Adelaide & hawthorn have all beaten North by keeping them to 10 goals.

We've improved defensively so we need to keep the brakes on their scoring and keep them under 11 goals.

Get the handbrake on Petrie brown Nahas and Thomas.
And it has to start in the midfield

North

That is because we only kick 10 goals ourselves. For some reason we have decided to put the cue in the rack and kick nothing but points when we get to 10 goals in a ridiculous number of games this year. How we have still managed to win so many games, even after only kicking 10 goals ourselves, is testament to the efficiency of our backline.

As the GC and Collingwood games so clearly showed, if these guys kick straight it is all over.