The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

He's leveled up this year but surely he's entrenched there and they will pay him.
Who is the “Jye Caldwell” equivalent we can prize out from somewhere?
That to me is one of the steps we can take. Let’s get a a player with talent stuck behind a really good midfield and not getting a game

That to me is one of the steps we can take. Let’s get a a player with talent stuck behind a really good midfield and not getting a game
Alex Davies maybe. Some might say Erasmus but think he's too slow for what we need. Konstanty as a small forward.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on what aggressive means

My strong suspicion is that Rioli and Bolton will stay and Baker will go. The combination of trading with our plethora of lower picks with clubs keen to do deals around academy players and a trade for Baker would probably give us 3 first round picks. If we hold on to our own 2nd rounder as well that's a nice hand to play.

Personally I don't see us being any more aggressive than that
Realistc take

Reactions: 1 user
Conner stone

• Dislike
I’m not suggesting him necessarily but Will Brodie is a curious one. Still only 25 and was playing really well for Freo when he went over from the suns and now can’t get a game again.

Is there some issue with him as a player ? He’d probably be available for not much.

I don’t really understand it because he looks a decent player to me.

Ben Hobbs,we tried to get him draft night ,but of course we would be dealing with the Bombers ,and dodo is still around.
He would be a upgrade to Dow.

Reactions: 3 users
Here's my thinking about a situation that may work to our favour.

There are at least 13 clubs with every reason to believe they are in a premiership window. 12 currently have from 36-44 points. That's incredibly even. This breeds over confidence, impatience, desperation for success. Some will think "It's now or never. What must we do to take the next step?"

(I would not be writing this post if the competition was being totally dominated by 4-5 teams - the situation would be entirely different, especially the levels of confidence within the lower clubs.)

What did the top club do to take the next step? Went out and snagged Grundy. For Sydney, maybe that's the icing on the cake. Clearly they thought so.

At season's end, many other clubs will be looking for their own 'icing on the cake'. Demand will be huge. But supply will be limited. And when demand exceeds supply, you get scarcity, creating a sellers' market. Which means some buyers will have to pay 'overs' to get what they want.

So, how can we make the greed and desperation of other clubs work in our favour? When those clubs look at our list, how much 'icing on the cake' will they see? And what will they pay for it?

Richmond doesn't need 'icing' at present, as we no longer have a cake to put it on. We firstly need to bake a new cake.

In simple terms, how can Richmond help 3-4 other clubs improve their 2025 chances at a flag, while simultaneously improving our 2030 chances?

Let me put it another way - if some bloke told you at the start of 2017 that Townsend, Caddy, Graham, Grigg and Houli would play important roles in helping us win a flag that year, would you have agreed with him, or booked him in at a psychiatrist?

It's all about value, or, rather, perceived value, and it's not our perception that counts; it's how other clubs perceive the potential contribution of players like Short, Graham, Baker, Rioli, etc. It's the value those other clubs perceive that will have some knocking on our door.

So, in a sellers' market, don't be surprised if we get involved in more trades than we originally thought. It largely depends on:
  • The desperation (or foolishness) of other clubs
  • The individual ambitions and wishes of certain Tiger players
  • How savvy our recruiting dept is
Watch this space.

I agree.

A number of clubs have will think they are close and have a poor draft hand this year. Our pick 21 could be appealing for a f1 from hawthorn, Essendon, Geelong and then hopefully they have a poor year with a hard draw

Our strategy last draft was brave with pick trading. I hope we are bold again.

Multiple draft picks required this year

Question for mine is there a clear cut # 1 for 2025. If so then our plan should be to play the 2024 new kids and thus finish # 1 pick again next year.

List rebuild taken care of. Then fill gaps with free agents
Potential number 1 pick for 2025 is a GC academy kid. Can’t remember his name but I posted it somewhere here.
No chance he goes anywhere else

I’m not suggesting him necessarily but Will Brodie is a curious one. Still only 25 and was playing really well for Freo when he went over from the suns and now can’t get a game again.

Is there some issue with him as a player ? He’d probably be available for not much.

I don’t really understand it because he looks a decent player to me.

He's a decent big bodied in and under midfielder at state level.

But exactly what we don't need more of. Way toooooooo sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww Sin.

Reactions: 7 users
It depends on what aggressive means

My strong suspicion is that Rioli and Bolton will stay and Baker will go. The combination of trading with our plethora of lower picks with clubs keen to do deals around academy players and a trade for Baker would probably give us 3 first round picks. If we hold on to our own 2nd rounder as well that's a nice hand to play.

Personally I don't see us being any more aggressive than that
Yeah this sounds right in terms of what we can reasonably expect but list-wise we need more.

There are no under 25 cornerstones apart from Gibcus and that situation is fraught.

List is in diabolical shape and I hope the club is 100% across it.

Reactions: 1 users