Terrorist attacks in Paris | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Terrorist attacks in Paris

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Pretty sure I just heard on the news that the attackers had taken advantage of the refugee "chaos" to slip through the security net. Announcement by French authorities.

i havent heard that.
early reports were one had a syrian passport, but then there were doubts about the authenticity of it.

Baloo said:
Who's terminology would you prefer?

Common sense perhaps.
Such a person may be called an "asylum seeker" until considered with the status of "refugee" by the Contracting State[1] where they formally make a claim for sanctuary or right of asylum.[2]
(Geneva Convention)
Not much difference to me. As I said both are seeking refuge for some reason aren't they?

I would have thought referring back to the UN Human Rights Commission's definition is using common sense.

Baloo said:
I would have thought referring back to the UN Human Rights Commission's definition is using common sense.

Common sense is people are seeking refuge for a reason. Apart from those looking for a short cut for economic reasons.

willo said:
Apart from those looking for a short cut for economic reasons.

Which ones are those ? Surely not the wins risking their life, their families lives and life savings to sail across to Australia from Indonesia in a crowded leaky boat.

Baloo said:
Which ones are those ? Surely not the wins risking their life, their families lives and life savings to sail across to Australia from Indonesia in a crowded leaky boat.

They mustn't know the risks or are simply desperate. do you doubt some do?
Getting back to the previous topic how come there are so many references to "refugee camps" rather than "asylum seeker camps" . Even those administered by the UN? Is it convenience to label the Prima facile refugees.

Brodders17 said:
i havent heard that.
early reports were one had a syrian passport, but then there were doubts about the authenticity of it.
What I understood was that at least of them was a Belgian citizen who went to Syria to fight and there was an arrest warrant out for him. He has come back through Greece on a fake Syrian passport.

willo said:
They mustn't know the risks or are simply desperate. do you doubt some do?
Getting back to the previous topic how come there are so many references to "refugee camps" rather than "asylum seeker camps" . Even those administered by the UN? Is it convenience to label the Prima facile refugees.

At best it's clear as mud. Hence why a majority of people don't and can't explain the difference.

Brodders17 said:
i havent heard that.

Here 'tis.

Two of the three suicide bombers who blew themselves up at a football stadium in Paris last week had passed through Greece posing as Syrian refugees, the Paris prosecutor has said.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/france-paris-bombers-travelled-greece-151120184742767.html

But I don't think they were Syrian tefugees, just posing as them to get back into France undetected.

Martin Flanagan weighs in:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-grey-area-is-safe-against-extremists-if-we-stand-united-20151119-gl31wp

IanG said:
Martin Flanagan weighs in:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-grey-area-is-safe-against-extremists-if-we-stand-united-20151119-gl31wp

"[Waleed Aly] said we're under attack, don't turn on one another, the enemy is nowhere near as strong as it wants us to believe."

A mostly fair article, but I disagree with the above. Murder in holiday spots in Muslim countries is one thing, but random murder at concerts, sporting events and cafes in civilised Western nations is another entirely. It's powerful.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
"[Waleed Aly] said we're under attack, don't turn on one another, the enemy is nowhere near as strong as it wants us to believe."

A mostly fair article, but I disagree with the above. Murder in holiday spots in Muslim countries is one thing, but random murder at concerts, sporting events and cafes in civilised Western nations is another entirely. It's powerful.

What difference does the country where it occurs make?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Yep. Completely fine for Muslims in Muslim countries or people visiting those countries to blown up by terrorists - which is where the vast majority of victims of terrorism are. It's only if it intrudes on our nice, safe Western existence that we should care.

antman said:
Yep. Completely fine for Muslims in Muslim countries or people visiting those countries to blown up by terrorists - which is where the vast majority of victims of terrorism are. It's only if it intrudes on our nice, safe Western existence that we should care.

It's the shock/surprise Ant. Why is a bigger story Ant?

MB78 said:
It's the shock/surprise Ant. Why is a bigger story Ant?

Right. Because it threatens our relatively safe existence, and we tend to value western lives more than lives of those in developing countries.

antman said:
Right. Because it threatens our relatively safe existence, and we tend to value western lives more than lives of those in developing countries.

That's your story not mine Ant.

But why is the media reporting different? Are they racist?

Interesting that the HUN front paged the siege in Mali this morning. Usually that story is buried on page 50.

They're either trying to cover the terrorist sieges in the "non western" world or maintain the "fear factor"

antman said:

Bingo. The same way you care more about your family and friends than some stranger on the news.